Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remake Enter the Dragon???say it aint so scooby!

Hybrid View

I'll have to wait and see.

One of the things I like about "Enter the Dragon" is its 70s charm, so it's awkward for me to envision a modern version. I think it might still work if given the right direction, script, acting, etc. I can picture one thing that will sink it in my eyes, if they try hard to be "hip." Since the link says it will be contemporized, I think that may be a possibly pitfall. I hope that the speedos and armbar in the original doesn't give them the idea to inject MMA into it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    One of the things I like about "Enter the Dragon" is its 70s charm, so it's awkward for me to envision a modern version. I think it might still work if given the right direction, script, acting, etc. I can picture one thing that will sink it in my eyes, if they try hard to be "hip." Since the link says it will be contemporized, I think that may be a possibly pitfall. I hope that the speedos and armbar in the original doesn't give them the idea to inject MMA into it.
    lol

ya, its totally one of those that you will have to wait and see. its going to be near impossible to give it the same feel as the original.

Greetings,

I hope the Asian community sees through this crap and absolutely REFUSE to cooperate with this film on any level.

Enter the Dragon was the only film where Bruce Lee played a VILLAIN. His character was a puppet/agent/hitman whose objective was to destroy Han's operation for those "interested," unnamed, parties who would eventually come in and do the same thing Han was doing all along. These people, again unnamed, were jealous of Han's $ucce$$ and wanted to take it over (you really have to read between the lines during the Lee/Braithwaite dialogue to understand what was going on). So, Lee's character also disgraced Shaolin. What was interesting was that Lee's film character in Enter the Dragon was not viewed as a positive one in Hong Kong: he was working for THE MAN.

Enter the Dragon was not, in any way, an original movie. Scenes from this flick were lifted from two wrestling movies that were made during the '60s.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 08-13-2007 at 06:28 PM.

What I can't understand is, why does everything need to be remade these days? The remakes are (IMO) never up to the standards of the originals, and when you "modernize" things, you make it into something it isn't. So why can't they think of something that's actually original?

Enter the Dragon (ETD) was the success it was because of mainly two things: The time period when it was filmed/released; and Bruce Lee.

These days, a guy like Han would be picked off easily with all the technology of offing someone at a distance. Plus, part of the movie's charm is the fact that it's so dated. Almost all the henchmen look like 98-pound kids, and now it seems kinda funny when Bolo flexes his muscles and struts around killing the 4 (comparatively) weak little guards. Even Bolo himself isn't that big by today's standards. But it's one of those movies that many have seen so many times you know the script and each scene by heart.

The basic concept has already been done to death, mainly in Van Damme's older films. And the film itself was based on the James Bond film Dr. No.

As stated above, it is just rediculous to remake a kung fu classic. It is classic for a reason (action jackson with an Afro) and yea only is novel because you practised martial arts as a kid or had a friend that did, or another friend that liked to sneak into those cheap showings of cheesy kung fu movies. It is cool because it is a childhood memory.

Those lines in the beginning when Bruce Lee is "philosophizing" was only classic in my eyes because my MA friends and I would make fun of it after Kung Fu class. I really don't think kids these days develop novelty as everything must be hip, fake and flashy. Instead of wide-shots, guys that can actually choreography MA, and Bruce Lee...you will have twitchy camera syndrome, CG, and overly poor action movie.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What I can't understand is, why does everything need to be remade these days? The remakes are (IMO) never up to the standards of the originals, and when you "modernize" things, you make it into something it isn't. So why can't they think of something that's actually original?

Enter the Dragon (ETD) was the success it was because of mainly two things: The time period when it was filmed/released; and Bruce Lee.

These days, a guy like Han would be picked off easily with all the technology of offing someone at a distance. Plus, part of the movie's charm is the fact that it's so dated. Almost all the henchmen look like 98-pound kids, and now it seems kinda funny when Bolo flexes his muscles and struts around killing the 4 (comparatively) weak little guards. Even Bolo himself isn't that big by today's standards. But it's one of those movies that many have seen so many times you know the script and each scene by heart.

The basic concept has already been done to death, mainly in Van Damme's older films. And the film itself was based on the James Bond film Dr. No.
    All the original ideas are used up ?

They can remake it but I doubt they will find anyone that could do what Lee could. Something will be lacking. The film may actually be a better movie. But, there was only one Bruce Lee.

How about steal from Jurassic Park. On another island. For the last 40 years the same thing has been happening without anyone's knowledge. But that is to be expected since Geoffrey Weeks it seems only ever made that one film. He was the only guy with the intel regarding Han's Island(s).

David Leitch

As much as I respect Leitch's work, this project just seems doomed to failure by comparison.

Remake Of Bruce Lee’s ‘Enter The Dragon’ Has ‘Deadpool 2’s David Leitch In Talks
    by Mike Fleming Jr
    July 23, 2018 10:45am

REX/Shutterstock

EXCLUSIVE: Hot off Deadpool 2, David Leitch is in early talks to direct Enter the Dragon, the remake of the 1973 martial arts classic that cemented Bruce Lee’s iconic status. The original was a global hit out of Hong Kong, but its release was marked with tragedy as it came right after Lee’s death. The 45th anniversary of his death on July 20, 1973 was last Friday. They will now set a writer.

Warner Bros

In Enter the Dragon, a Shaolin martial artist is pressed to enter a karate tournament on the island owned by the secretive Han, who is suspected of using the gathering as a way to smuggle drugs around the world. The protagonist has his own motivation: revenge. He learns that his sister fought for her life and ultimately killed herself on Han’s island, rather than succumb to rape by a group of Han’s thugs.

Warner Bros

John Saxon and martial artists Jim Kelly, Bob Wall and Bolo Yeung lent validity to the fighting scenes, and Kien Shih made a formidable villain in Han. Adding some of the sweep that existed in global thriller franchises like 007, the film expanded the template for martial arts movies of the period and it was a shame Lee wasn’t around to embrace it and the groundbreaking strides he made for actors of Asian descent, and continue a movie career that already bloomed in Hong Kong but was only just getting started in Hollywood.

Warner Bros

As it was, karate schools opened across the U.S. in the wake of the film’s release and saw a slew of movies with actors who looked like Lee but didn’t have anything close to his magnetism.

Warner Bros

Warner Bros has been trying to figure out a way to recapture the magic of the Robert Clouse-directed film for years, with filmmakers like Spike Lee and Brett Ratner developing versions of the Golden Harvest release. Leitch is an intriguing choice.

Aside from being — as the opening credits boast in Deadpool 2–one of the guys who killed John Wick’s dog, the John Wick co-director helmed the Charlize Theron actioner Atomic Blonde and was second unit director on such films as Jurassic World and Captain America: Civil War. The WME-repped Leitch is also a former stuntman and was action unit director who understands the requirement for making the action look real. Still, he is stepping onto hallowed ground here. Doubt me? Have a look at the original trailer for the film:
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Good Op-Ed piece in THE WEEK

Rivera is spot on with this.

The ghoulish insensitivity of an Enter the Dragon reboot
    Joshua Rivera

Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon | Warner Bros
    July 25, 2018

As you read this, something is being rebooted. Maybe it's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or Roseanne. (Or Roseanne without Roseanne.) Reboots are a regular part of the entertainment business now, the natural result of a pop cultural landscape flooded with too many shows, movies, and video games. When chances are slim that anyone will pay attention at all, the logic goes, who wouldn't use a familiar name to juice the odds a bit?

It's foolish to make blanket statements about reboots being good or bad. All reboots aren't equal, and some are more suspect than others — like the potential Enter the Dragon reboot from Warner Bros.

On Monday, news broke that the studio was in talks with David Leitch, who most recently directed Deadpool 2, to helm a reboot of the martial arts classic. It's the latest in a long line of overtures Warner Bros. has made towards a remake, stretching back over a decade, when Kurt Sutter of Sons of Anarchy fame first developed a neo-noir take called Awaken the Dragon.

But rebooting Enter the Dragon — whether in 2007 or 2018 — is a uniquely fraught prospect. It's not even a matter of canon, despite the movie's status as the first martial arts film produced by Hollywood. Because while Enter the Dragon is historic for many reasons, what it is more than anything is synonymous with a person: Bruce Lee.

And so the very notion of rebooting Enter the Dragon is implicitly asking a question no modern reboot has really asked before — can you reboot a legacy? Or cash in on one in good taste?

This isn't like Solo, where an iconic character tied to an iconic actor was recast and we find it strange and uncomfortable but otherwise permissible — because Han Solo is a character owned by a company, and corporate-owned characters will always outlive their creators or the artists who made them famous. This is about a real person.

Enter the Dragon isn't famous because its premise of a Hong Kong martial artist conscripted by British intelligence to bring down a trafficking ring is the stuff of cinema legend (good as that hook may be); it's famous because it was a showcase for the man the world knew as Bruce Lee, the Hong Kong movie star and martial arts phenomenon. Enter the Dragon was a watershed moment in Hollywood, a movie that starred an Asian man as its hero and marked what could have been the beginning of a new chapter in a successful career if not for Lee's untimely death.

It's telling that Lee's character is just named "Lee" in the film — a tacit admission that Lee is what the movie was selling and what people wanted to buy. While it's true that Enter the Dragon was directed by Robert Clouse, a white man, its legacy and fame are unquestionably synonymous with its star.

And so any potential Enter the Dragon remake can't help but feel ghoulish right from the start. Given these circumstances, it only makes sense to approach it with a lot of sensitivity, which makes it that much stranger to see that the first name potentially attached to it is David Leitch, a white director. Especially in 2018, a year where the push for representation in front of and behind the camera is stronger than ever, the failure to appear to at least consider a director of color reads as hopelessly tone deaf.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I hope the Asian community sees through this crap and absolutely REFUSE to cooperate with this film on any level.
    Huh?
    Enter the Dragon was the only film where Bruce Lee played a VILLAIN. His character was a puppet/agent/hitman whose objective was to destroy Han's operation for those "interested," unnamed, parties who would eventually come in and do the same thing Han was doing all along. These people, again unnamed, were jealous of Han's $ucce$$ and wanted to take it over (you really have to read between the lines during the Lee/Braithwaite dialogue to understand what was going on). So, Lee's character also disgraced Shaolin. What was interesting was that Lee's film character in Enter the Dragon was not viewed as a positive one in Hong Kong: he was working for THE MAN.
    I thought he was working for the govt. to shut down Han's operation.
    Enter the Dragon was not, in any way, an original movie. Scenes from this flick were lifted from two wrestling movies that were made during the '60s.

mickey
    I didn't know that. Which movies were those?

What the hell are you talkin' about?

Enter the Dragon was the only film where Bruce Lee played a VILLAIN.
    What the hell are you talkin' about?

In terms of the whole "MA championship on some remote place" there have already been many "remakes" of Enter the Dragon.

This hurts my head just thinking about it

Who could possibly step into the little dragon's shoes for this? It would only work for me if Pam Anderson took over the role. Pam as a rogue Shaolin nun. I'm totally serious.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Who could possibly step into the little dragon's shoes for this? It would only work for me if Pam Anderson took over the role. Pam as a rogue Shaolin nun. I'm totally serious.
    Donnie yen.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Who could possibly step into the little dragon's shoes for this? It would only work for me if Pam Anderson took over the role. Pam as a rogue Shaolin Nacho Cheese Covered Ninjetta Nun (tm). I'm totally serious.
    there ya go.