Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remake Enter the Dragon???say it aint so scooby!

Remake Enter the Dragon???say it aint so scooby!

ok after calming down a bit....

it MIGHT....MIGHT...be cool.

if done properly and due credit is given as a remake in loving memory of Bruce Lee.

otherwise it will be super cheese

I'll have to wait and see.

One of the things I like about "Enter the Dragon" is its 70s charm, so it's awkward for me to envision a modern version. I think it might still work if given the right direction, script, acting, etc. I can picture one thing that will sink it in my eyes, if they try hard to be "hip." Since the link says it will be contemporized, I think that may be a possibly pitfall. I hope that the speedos and armbar in the original doesn't give them the idea to inject MMA into it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    One of the things I like about "Enter the Dragon" is its 70s charm, so it's awkward for me to envision a modern version. I think it might still work if given the right direction, script, acting, etc. I can picture one thing that will sink it in my eyes, if they try hard to be "hip." Since the link says it will be contemporized, I think that may be a possibly pitfall. I hope that the speedos and armbar in the original doesn't give them the idea to inject MMA into it.
    lol

ya, its totally one of those that you will have to wait and see. its going to be near impossible to give it the same feel as the original.

Greetings,

I hope the Asian community sees through this crap and absolutely REFUSE to cooperate with this film on any level.

Enter the Dragon was the only film where Bruce Lee played a VILLAIN. His character was a puppet/agent/hitman whose objective was to destroy Han's operation for those "interested," unnamed, parties who would eventually come in and do the same thing Han was doing all along. These people, again unnamed, were jealous of Han's $ucce$$ and wanted to take it over (you really have to read between the lines during the Lee/Braithwaite dialogue to understand what was going on). So, Lee's character also disgraced Shaolin. What was interesting was that Lee's film character in Enter the Dragon was not viewed as a positive one in Hong Kong: he was working for THE MAN.

Enter the Dragon was not, in any way, an original movie. Scenes from this flick were lifted from two wrestling movies that were made during the '60s.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 08-13-2007 at 06:28 PM.

What I can't understand is, why does everything need to be remade these days? The remakes are (IMO) never up to the standards of the originals, and when you "modernize" things, you make it into something it isn't. So why can't they think of something that's actually original?

Enter the Dragon (ETD) was the success it was because of mainly two things: The time period when it was filmed/released; and Bruce Lee.

These days, a guy like Han would be picked off easily with all the technology of offing someone at a distance. Plus, part of the movie's charm is the fact that it's so dated. Almost all the henchmen look like 98-pound kids, and now it seems kinda funny when Bolo flexes his muscles and struts around killing the 4 (comparatively) weak little guards. Even Bolo himself isn't that big by today's standards. But it's one of those movies that many have seen so many times you know the script and each scene by heart.

The basic concept has already been done to death, mainly in Van Damme's older films. And the film itself was based on the James Bond film Dr. No.

As stated above, it is just rediculous to remake a kung fu classic. It is classic for a reason (action jackson with an Afro) and yea only is novel because you practised martial arts as a kid or had a friend that did, or another friend that liked to sneak into those cheap showings of cheesy kung fu movies. It is cool because it is a childhood memory.

Those lines in the beginning when Bruce Lee is "philosophizing" was only classic in my eyes because my MA friends and I would make fun of it after Kung Fu class. I really don't think kids these days develop novelty as everything must be hip, fake and flashy. Instead of wide-shots, guys that can actually choreography MA, and Bruce Lee...you will have twitchy camera syndrome, CG, and overly poor action movie.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    lol

ya, its totally one of those that you will have to wait and see. its going to be near impossible to give it the same feel as the original.
    So it looks like only myself and PangQuan are willing to give it a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I hope the Asian community sees through this crap and absolutely REFUSE to cooperate with this film on any level.
    Huh?
    Enter the Dragon was the only film where Bruce Lee played a VILLAIN. His character was a puppet/agent/hitman whose objective was to destroy Han's operation for those "interested," unnamed, parties who would eventually come in and do the same thing Han was doing all along. These people, again unnamed, were jealous of Han's $ucce$$ and wanted to take it over (you really have to read between the lines during the Lee/Braithwaite dialogue to understand what was going on). So, Lee's character also disgraced Shaolin. What was interesting was that Lee's film character in Enter the Dragon was not viewed as a positive one in Hong Kong: he was working for THE MAN.
    I thought he was working for the govt. to shut down Han's operation.
    Enter the Dragon was not, in any way, an original movie. Scenes from this flick were lifted from two wrestling movies that were made during the '60s.

mickey
    I didn't know that. Which movies were those?

What the hell are you talkin' about?

Enter the Dragon was the only film where Bruce Lee played a VILLAIN.
    What the hell are you talkin' about?

In terms of the whole "MA championship on some remote place" there have already been many "remakes" of Enter the Dragon.

This hurts my head just thinking about it

Who could possibly step into the little dragon's shoes for this? It would only work for me if Pam Anderson took over the role. Pam as a rogue Shaolin nun. I'm totally serious.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Who could possibly step into the little dragon's shoes for this? It would only work for me if Pam Anderson took over the role. Pam as a rogue Shaolin nun. I'm totally serious.
    Donnie yen.

Greetings,

unkokusai:

The new synopsis suggests a resurgence of an old American Imperialist mndset that we just do not need anymore. Notice, they are looking for an American actor, as opposed to an Asian or Asian American actor to play the lead. I may be jumping the gun with my feelings.

unkokusai and The Xia:

Yes, the Lee character was a villain. Though, the heart of the character may have been noble, he was being used.

The two wrestling films that were used as a template for Enter the Dragon were "Superargo and the Faceless Mask" and "Superargo Versus Diabolico"

mickey