Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remake Enter the Dragon???say it aint so scooby!

I was around when Enter the Dragon was made. I'm in my mid-40s. I also watched the original Green Hornet when it was in its original TV run with my older brother in the mid-late 1960s.

I'm not an ETD geek; I simply believe a remake would not work.

I have heard about a remake for Avenging eagle, Come Drink with Me, A Touch of Zen, One armed Swordsman, and now this. They all sound stupid to me. Hopefully Donnie Yen's Flashpoint will show people that you can still do a low budget movie that is highly successful in the box office. You have to put effort into it!
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Greetings,

Nebuchadnezzar,

You are beginning to catch on. For a moment, I thought there was no hope left for the world considering some of the responses I was getting. It was like I spat in the face of Jesus.

Gene,

Yes, James Bond is a VILLAIN as well. The only difference is that he knows who he is working for. The Lee character in ETD fell for the B.S. that was served to him by Braithwaite (Nebuchadnezzar, think about how we ended up in Iraq-- same modus operandi).

And only Nebuchadnezzar caught on to the method of my rant?

Haliburton anyone?

mickey

a real 'star trek' convention feel

Can you imagine an ETD convention? We could all dress up like Bruce or Han or Roper. Where's Anna Capri?

I'd be too busy looking good.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I think a lot of the reason ETD wasn't very popular in HK is that Lee's character had a stunted personality and of course WAS a tool of the British. Oddly enough, James Bond seemed very popular there, and the theater where I saw View to a Kill in 1985 was jam-packed. I heard his most successful films over there were Chinese Connection (actually titled Fist of Fury) and Return of the Dragon (orig. title: Way of the Dragon). The fights in those were much better staged and filmed than in ETD, with its choppy American-style editing and extreme close-ups that cut off much of the action. When I went to a theatrical re-release of Way of the Dragon in HK, also in '85, it actually drew quite a few people.

Gene:
    I'd rather have Betty Chung ("the owner of this dart") than Ahna Capri.

And now to play devils advocate I think if it written casted correctly etd remake would be good(note its already been remade seriously stop b!tching; mortal komabt 1 anyone) I remember when killbill was announced everybody(including myself) was up in arms about saying it was going to be horrible blah blah blah. Then after it came the same people(including myself) praised the movie. That taught me something and something I’ll always keep with me I’ll never judge a film until I see it and I’ll say that for this one when and if it comes out I’ll see it just like the rest of you and if it sucks I’ll bash it like it was rush hour three but if its good I’ll praise it. So all I’m saying is wait till the **** thing comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Are you saying you wouldn't watch that? Come on now. Be honest.
    you just try and stop me!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    what they should do, is remake Circle of Iron (The Silent Flute)
    and put David Carradine in the pot of oil. (he deserves it)

i have been thinking about this for a while now. there are certain movies that are considered by many to be classic to a genre. I think it is too risky to remake certain films. this is one of them. its like trying to remake the original star wars trilogy. there is a) just no need and b) too much risk of alienating the fans of the original.

however, there will always be someone who says "this could make a fortune" with no reguard to the integrity. that being the case if they do remake ETD i think they should cast stephen chow in the leading role. it would be cool to see him in a serious role. i have only ever seen him do action/comedy. plus he has the look. just my thoughts on it.

Silent Flute

And in our SF Chron this morning, more of the AP release:
    Lee's `Enter the Dragon' to Get Remake
    Thursday, August 16, 2007
    (08-16) 07:51 PDT HONG KONG, China (AP) --

Bruce Lee's classic 1973 film, "Enter the Dragon," will be remade by Warner Bros.

The remake, to be titled "Awaken the Dragon," will be written and directed by Kurt Sutter, producer of "The Shield" TV series. It will be released by Warner Independent Pictures.

In an e-mail Thursday to The Associated Press, Warner Bros. publicist Laura Kim said the movie will tell the story of an FBI agent who investigates a Shaolin monk and underground kung fu fight clubs.

China's Shaolin Temple is renowned for its martial-arts tradition.

Kim declined to reveal the casting choices, budget or shooting schedule.

Lee played a kung fu fighter who infiltrates an island occupied by a rogue martial arts artist in "Enter the Dragon."

He died in 1973, at 32, from swelling of the brain.

Lee was known for movies in which he portrayed characters that defend the Chinese and the working class from oppressors.

He was born in San Francisco but grew up in Hong Kong, where he made his name as an actor.
    I totally agree with you, TenTigers, on the Silent Flute remake. It'd be even better with Pamela Anderson.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

wasn't CIRCLE OF IRON the "remake" of the Silent Flute?

12. Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Can you imagine an ETD convention? We could all dress up like Bruce or Han or Roper. Where's Anna Capri?

I'd be too busy looking good.
    that would be a convention of "EXTRA ORDINARY MAGNITUDE!!!!!!"
    martial arts and music share the same principles, both wrestle with complex chords and rare melodies.
    http://www.myspace.com/punkrockmantis

Quote Originally Posted by PunkRockMantis View Post
    that would be a convention of "EXTRA ORDINARY MAGNITUDE!!!!!!"
    Would Gene be playing our Bolo?

Bolo? Oh hell no!

First of all, I'm way too scrawny to be Bolo. I was more thinking I'd be Han. Maybe I could get a special attachment like in Kentucky Fried Movie.

Circle of Iron was the only version. Silent Flute was the original title, but the project never made it to screen, allegedly due to some conflict between Lee and Coburn. Stirling Silliphant, who was involved with Lee for Longstreet and Marlowe picked up the script and redid it to feature Carridine. It was truly ironic, given the situation with Carridine and Lee for Kung Fu the TV show.

Here's more about Lee projects:
    Another Bruce Lee film in the works: Formative years in Hong Kong focus of Kowloon City
    Last Updated: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 | 12:00 PM ET

Chinese filmmakers continue to sign up for projects honouring U.S.-born martial arts star Bruce Lee with news Wednesday of a film based on his early life.

Fruit Chan, the Guangdong-born director of Made in Hong Kong, Durian Durian and Dumplings, has announced he will direct Kowloon City.

Set in 1950s Hong Kong, where Lee grew up with his family after they returned from the U.S., the film will follow the fortunes of Lee and another kung fu student, Chan told Chinese website Sina.com.

No actor has yet been cast to play Lee, said Chan, who works out of Hong Kong and is known for movies portraying Hong Kong's working class.

The film will be produced by John Woo's producer Terence Chang.

It is the latest in a series of announcements this year about projects centring on Lee or reprising his work.
    Continue Article

Last week, Warner announced a remake of the Lee classic Enter the Dragon.

Another Hong Kong director, Stanley Kwan, has said he is negotiating with Lee's family to create a biopic exploring how Lee was influenced by the absence of his father.

China has announced its CCTV station will create a 40-part series on the action star's short life.

Lee died in 1973 of a cerebral edema at age 33. He played Kato in the Green Hornet TV series and helped develop a taste for martial arts action movies in North America with Enter the Dragon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Greetings,

Wasn't Mortal Combat another ETD remake?

mickey