Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I went to NY and all I got was TOC'd

I went to NY and all I got was TOC'd

I spent last weekend training at Ross’ school. I signed up for his "instructor's intensive seminar" which is designed to introduce people to his basic curriculum and help them develop and expand their own programs.

I don’t want to give too many of his secrets away, but the curriculum was something like this:

• 5 hours of Jiu-Jitsu training with BJJ black belt Carmine Zocchi.
    • 5 hours of kickboxing with Ross, Ian Morgan, and Tim O’Conner
    • 3 hours of conditioning training with Tim O’Conner
    • 2 hours of neck and body clinching with Ross.

And when I say 5 hours of BJJ or kickboxing, it wasn’t like we just did a few jabs and then discussed theory for 2 hours…we were working, and working hard, the whole time. Hell, the seminar started off with a 12-minute interval warm-up.

The instructor would spend a couple of minutes demonstrating and then start the timer so we could work the technique. After the round, the instructor would add to the previous technique and then start the timer….repeat for 3 hours…Everything was structured to build on the previous technique to help reinforce what we learned.

There were six of us taking the seminar, and Ross had two or three of his fighters there most of the time, which meant we got A LOT of personal attention. They answered all of our questions and helped correct our technique and bad habits as we went.

I was wiped out after the first night, but then the next morning we jumped right into Tim O’Conner’s conditioning routine. He ran us through a “light” bodyweight routine (light for him, that is), then showed us how to use kettlebells and sandbags, then made us finish with an 8-round interval on the heavy bags where we used kettlebells during the intervals. That killed me, and we were only ½ way through the whole seminar.

I know I suck and my conditioning wasn’t anywhere near Ross’ guys, but there were other guys there who also had their own programs and were in good shape and they were hurting just as bad, so you can’t just put the onus on me.

This was an awesome experience and I learned a tremendous amount about fighting, proper conditioning, and how to run a program. Ross not only provides you with a workbook covering the curriculum from the weekend, but he also gives you a lot of information about how to structure and develop your own program based on his experiences in the business.

Ross and his students were friendly and very helpful, but there is no doubt in my mind how SKILLED, CONDITIONED, and WELL-TRAINED his guys are. Ian and Tim were awesome, and Carmine Zocchi had us laughing the whole time he was choking us out. I got a lot of help from Frank, Dave, and one Ross' female fighters as well (forgot her name, but she was tough and wrestled me to a draw).

The class was $300, which sounds like a lot. But private BJJ lessons are $100/hour around here, and we basically got 15 hours of private lessons because of all the personal attention his crew provided. That breaks down to about $20/hour if you think about it, which is cheap by any standards.

ANYONE who wants to develop their fighting would benefit from this class, but if you have your own program or are trying to get one off the ground and haven’t trained in a pro gym your whole life, I think this seminar would be invaluable to you.

The only disadvantages to this weekend were
    • Ross knows how much I suck and
    • I was the only white boy riding the D train after the Dominican parade and almost didn’t live to tell you guys about the class.

Thanks to Ross, Carmine, Tim, Ian, and everyone else that helped make the seminar a great experience.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 08-14-2007 at 07:59 AM.

****, he's still alive

The seminar was desigend to push... and conditioning is 25% of what we do (along with kickboxing, clinching and Jiu Jitsu). But MK did very well, we all agreed

The female fighter is Hana Fisher, she's 2-0 in San Da and 4-0 in submission (no gi).
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    ****, he's still alive
    Barely. The term "El Blanco" was being thrown around that subway train a little too much for my liking.

Talk about nutriding....

One thing I never mentioned to anyone was that I took 3 Ibuprofen on Saturday morning, but I was still hurting by the time I got to Ross' school and I took 2 more Extra Stength Excederin pills before class started.

Bad idea.

Basically, every time I changed levels I would have a blood pressure drop and got dizzy. This was also the class where Tim put us through all the conditioing drills which included A LOT of level changes (burpees, sprawls, etc...).

I fought my way through it, but there were a couple of times where I almost dropped.

MasterKiller,

Sounds like you had fun. Its a good gym and the conditioning classes look like they are FUN.

Gene will kill me, BUT someone did ask

We do two different formats of seminar.
    The "combat sports camp" is for anyone, it is a weekend where we introduce you to skills, everyone has fun. Perfect for anyone, even beginners.

The "instructors' intensive" as the name implies is for those who are teaching or want to teach and want to get "up to speed". Smaller, more personal attention, more explanation of the nuts and bolts of how a class is structured, etc

annual Combat Sports camp is next March
    next instructors' intensive is April
    www.SanDa-MMA.com for details

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwang View Post
    When is the next seminar. I would like to attend. Please PM me or let me know. Shifu Ross I am on your website and do not see any info @ seminars? I would love to attend the next one you have.
    http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/kingofs...intensive.html

sounds like fun. i might have to check this out the next one they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    sounds like fun. i might have to check this out the next one they have.
    Might schmight.

Just go. It can only help your program.

Why would I kill you, lkfmdc?

For tooting your own horn? Sounds more like MK is tooting your horn for you.

Honestly, I more concerned with your cruelty to animals, particularly dog-faced ones.

In all seriousness, it's always nice to hear of forum members really training together. That's what this is really all about.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Honestly, I more concerned with your cruelty to animals, particularly dog-faced ones.
    LMFAO

Gottcha Gene, gottcha

It was also humbling to learn Ross can kick higher than me.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    It was also humbling to learn Ross can kick higher than me.
    for an old guy, I do ok

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    for an old guy, I do ok

I hate when people younger than I say they're old!!

It makes me feel a lot older

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)