Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Famous masters who didn't start young.

ttt.............

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlygrime View Post
    My Si-gung, Grandmaster Ip Chun i belive didnt begin training until he was 36 years old
    From what i read in the first wing chun book that GM Ip Chun produced with Michael Tse, he picked up his training once he left for hongkong in his thirties.

he had trained previously, though when training became outlawed in the mainland, he discontinued, to pick it back up later when he returned to his father.

to his credit though, he had a long laps in training and did return in his thirties.

now a vibrant oldster

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    From what i read in the first wing chun book that GM Ip Chun produced with Michael Tse, he picked up his training once he left for hongkong in his thirties.

he had trained previously, though when training became outlawed in the mainland, he discontinued, to pick it back up later when he returned to his father.

to his credit though, he had a long laps in training and did return in his thirties.

now a vibrant oldster
    That's good inspiration for those who talk about how they used to train but come up with a giant list of excuses as to why they won't anymore.

So far we've got

Jou Tsung Hua – Late 40s in Tai Chi Chuan (Yang, Wu, and Chen)
    Chen Man Ching - 20s in Tai Chi Chuan (Yang)
    Law Gwong Yuk – 20 in Seven Star Praying Mantis
    Chiu Chi Man – 23 at the Ging Mo, 29 in Seven Star Praying Mantis

Well, all I know is I started at the age of 2 1/8, and I was a Shao-Lin Kuei master (Shao-lin Ninjitsu) by the age of, oh, I don't know, maybe 11? I mastered the kata Dante at the age of 6, when most of you were probably learning how to wipe your own butts.

You have to start young, or you'll be forever wiping your butt with your kung-fu.
    I stand on the Mesa and look down at the vastness of my world and i realize how truly small you all are in it. This has been my greatest enlightenment. None of you are important, and you will never truly be free individuals until you surrender to my instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Being the idiot I am...

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    Jou Tsung Hua – Late 40s in Tai Chi Chuan (Yang, Wu, and Chen)
    Chen Man Ching - 20s in Tai Chi Chuan (Yang)
    Law Gwong Yuk – 20 in Seven Star Praying Mantis
    Chiu Chi Man – 23 at the Ging Mo, 29 in Seven Star Praying Mantis
    Chen Man Ching? Try Chan Yao Ming....hahaha.......don't make me laugh.....okay, maybe just a little.......LOL......I just tooted.........
    I stand on the Mesa and look down at the vastness of my world and i realize how truly small you all are in it. This has been my greatest enlightenment. None of you are important, and you will never truly be free individuals until you surrender to my instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Being the idiot I am...

Takeshi you are a queer.
    Bless you

Wai Lun Choi started training at 18 in Lama Pai. Also studied Muay Thai, Judo, My Jaw Lau Horn, and Northern Shaolin. Started Liu He Ba Fa at 24.

Observations

In many bios of the TCMA "old guard," it's often mentioned how so and so started as a child, etc. I started this thread to see how many of the “old guard” that go against this grain so to speak. But has anyone come across people who use the age he started training as a means of self-promotion. Not necessarily to sell classes or anything but to convince others of skills? Yet when you see what they have, it's not all they (or others) crack themselves up to be. There seems to be a mentality that you have to start as a little kid to be great. I don’t know where it comes from. Maybe some of that has to do with PRC-Wushu standards. Wherever it came from I can only see this as discouraging people from taking up martial arts and giving false confidence to people who did start young yet don't necessarily have what others assume they do.
    Last edited by The Xia; 12-30-2007 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    ... Otherwise, yeah, Lau Ga Fei and Lau Ga Leung are 2 of the best. I like Chen Kwan Tai too.
    Oh, yes!
    Definitely Chen Kwan Tai!
    "Boxer from Shantung"
    "Man of Iron"
    for his "character portrayals"
    Later flics for his (much improved long-hand) TCMA.

Q: How old is the Buddha

A: The Buddha is as old as you are!

:-)

Secondly, if you are determined, persistent and correct in your practice, it doesn't matter how old you are when you started. It's not about status points. refer to teh Q&A above.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    Oh, yes!
    Definitely Chen Kwan Tai!
    "Boxer from Shantung"
    "Man of Iron"
    for his "character portrayals"
    Later flics for his (much improved long-hand) TCMA.
    I think he was primarily Tai Shing Pekwar from Chan Sau Chung. I also recall hearing that he picked up some Hung Gar and Choy Lay Fut.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Q: How old is the Buddha

A: The Buddha is as old as you are!

:-)

Secondly, if you are determined, persistent and correct in your practice, it doesn't matter how old you are when you started. It's not about status points. refer to teh Q&A above.
    I think the issue is in that what should be adhered to is not always the case. Whatever the reason, it seems to be seen as a point of status. Not saying it's right, but you've probably seen it happen quite a few times.

In many bios of the TCMA "old guard," it's often mentioned how so and so started as a child, etc. I started this thread to see how many of the “old guard” that go against this grain so to speak. But has anyone come across people who use the age he started training as a means of self-promotion. Not necessarily to sell classes or anything but to convince others of skills? Yet when you see what they have, it's not all they (or others) crack themselves up to be. There seems to be a mentality that you have to start as a little kid to be great. I don’t know where it comes from. Maybe some of that has to do with PRC-Wushu standards. Wherever it came from I can only see this as discouraging people from taking up martial arts and giving false confidence to people who did start young yet don't necessarily have what others assume they do.

Also, many people who may have started young, may not have been fully dedicated at a very young age. Many were, but it would be rediculous to assume every person that started MA as a child was serious from the get go. Some people may not have realized the importance of their MA training until a later date when a personal revelation helped them to see what form of dedication is required for their studies.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I think he was primarily Tai Shing Pekwar from Chan Sau Chung. I also recall hearing that he picked up some Hung Gar and Choy Lay Fut.
    He probably did pick up quite a bit along the way.
    I mentioned the Tai Shing Pek War in another thread.
    In those first 2 flics I mentioned, you could see his origin when he changed stances.