Thread: spinning back kick, back fist

spinning back kick, back fist

I have seen them allot in fights and I have had them thrown on me. I normally can avoid them by being overly caucus. If I am thinking straight I prefer to keep my distance when someone gives me his back, unless he is falling or off balance.

Does anyone train against these two attacks? what strategies do you use for when someone over kicks with the round kick? or turns his back to you?

(san shou or MMA responses are more preferable)

Since the spinning techniques you mentioned are distance techniques, "keeping your distance" can work in your opponents favour.

spinning attacks require excellent timing. most that I've encountered the person was good at setting it up (usually baiting with an attack and relying on you advancing into range).

staying out of range works....but how do you win a fight that way.

stay covered, move into clinch range, take their balance...IMHO.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Let's say it's a spinning back kick. Keep your arms up, move straight into him while he's turning, take his back.

You keep your hands up just in case it's a spinning backfist--so while you move in you cover your right side if he's spinning cw, and you cover your left side if he's spinning ccw. Take his back anyway.

Another technique that I used to practice a lot was jamming. If someone is attempting to use a spinning kick, you can stop kick him in the thigh before the kick is launched. That is--assuming you know your opponent at this point and can catch it.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

For a spinning back kick I come in close and jam it idealy as the knee lifts and chambers I intercept it by doing like a front kick to stop the kick premature and knock the kicker off balance what you do from there is up to you. If that fails cover yourself I get as close as I can taking most of the power out of the tech because the range isnt good for the kick and jam it kickboxer guard knee up arm up to protect the head. For a spinning back fist I come in close and jam that at the elbow if I can. As they turn there back I step in forearm to the elbow idealy not alowing the tech to become what it was intended for. My reasoning for hitting
    elbow idealy is because I was taught for a back fist to be more of a elbow and so i aim to hit the elbow so im coverd from the elbow and basically holting the fist even being a issue to me. I hope this helps hard to explain on the net I feel but if all else fails I move out of range and timing and footwork is crucial as i come back in to take postion.
    Go hard or go home or some where else up to you

http://therandomandthefit.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    spinning attacks require excellent timing. most that I've encountered the person was good at setting it up (usually baiting with an attack and relying on you advancing into range).

staying out of range works....but how do you win a fight that way.

stay covered, move into clinch range, take their balance...IMHO.
    I follow you completely. Can you always keep your distance? No. Sometimes you have no room to getaway. You are forced to move in. The main issue I see is that you can't cover for both the spinning back kick and the back fist. One is high one is mid to low.
    In a real fight, its a guarantee that even if you evade he will pursue. The moment at the end of his attack when he is pulling back or has pulled back then you have a chance to attack.

I know allot of people say quick come in when he gives you his back. This requires to to be ready , and faster than he is. You keep your hands up protecting the backfist he goes for the kick. (why because most people rushin)

I have also been using a push kick. It too far for a back fist and may be able to jam his kick if I see it. Of course I keep my hands up to cover.

I guess distance is also a major factor. If you are almost in clinching range, its impossible to get away so you must jam.
    Last edited by monji112000; 08-16-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    Can you always keep your distance? No. Sometimes you have no room to getaway. You are forced to move in. The main issue I see is that you can't cover for both the spinning back kick and the back fist. One is high one is mid to low.
    This depends on the attackers ability to set it up. If I can read the set up, I can move with the timing advantage, If I can't he will get me right where he wants.

If you move in with a leg check and covering the head, you're pretty well covered for either attack.

The key is movement. If you are inside of his target range, you will still get hit just not with the force as if you were in his target range.

Push kicks are an excellent way to keep out of range or check your opponents range.

If you are already in clinch range your opponent would have to be a fool to spin.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Cartwheels also make for a good defense.
    I stand on the Mesa and look down at the vastness of my world and i realize how truly small you all are in it. This has been my greatest enlightenment. None of you are important, and you will never truly be free individuals until you surrender to my instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Being the idiot I am...

Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Cartwheels also make for a good defense.
    I am too fat to do a cartwheel. what about a backflip?

Try a diet, then, tubby.
    I stand on the Mesa and look down at the vastness of my world and i realize how truly small you all are in it. This has been my greatest enlightenment. None of you are important, and you will never truly be free individuals until you surrender to my instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Being the idiot I am...

Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi
    Try a diet, then, tubby.
    I tried the diet think last night against someone back fisting me, but I just got punch in the face? Whats the timing on using the diet technique?I also tried a round off back hand stand instead of the cartwheel, that seemed to work. What I ultimately do is buildup chi and then stab them in the back of the head with a knife. Works every time, and most people won't recover. Honestly stabbing people in the back of the head works really good for allot of techniques. For example when someone shoots in, or if he is in your guard. You can always shoot him in the face, this is another favorite. But I will keep working on the diet and cartwheel John.
    thanks