Thread: Article: Stretching helps strength and endurance

Article: Stretching helps strength and endurance

Bless you

It goes back to HOW someone stretches and to what point in the range of motion they are stretching.

I don't think anyone ever advocates stretching a cold muscle close to or beyond the ROM, most of the time the stretches adovcate for warm ups are just stretches to get the "cobwebs out" and the more "intense" ones are left for the cool down.

How long to hold each static stretch, that is another debate !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It goes back to HOW someone stretches and to what point in the range of motion they are stretching.

I don't think anyone ever advocates stretching a cold muscle close to or beyond the ROM, most of the time the stretches adovcate for warm ups are just stretches to get the "cobwebs out" and the more "intense" ones are left for the cool down.

How long to hold each static stretch, that is another debate !

And they didn't mention the types of stretching: Static, dynamic, crar, balistic, etc.

I've always had the belief that dynamic was better pre-workout and static should be saved for after. I've read (don't remember where) that this is better for workout performance. Static stretchin relaxes the cns, and if you're about to workout you want to activate the cns. It's just one study, but it does at least show some good from stretching.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    And they didn't mention the types of stretching: Static, dynamic, crar, balistic, etc.

I've always had the belief that dynamic was better pre-workout and static should be saved for after. I've read (don't remember where) that this is better for workout performance. Static stretchin relaxes the cns, and if you're about to workout you want to activate the cns. It's just one study, but it does at least show some good from stretching.
    I think they mentioned it was static.
    I agree, dynamic for the warm up and static for the col down, ballistic is just an accident waiting to happne, what is "crar" ?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    what is "crar" ?
    contract relax antagonist relax

ex. leg elevated on something, isometrically push down for 5 secons, after that 5 seconds pushing down lift the leg up in the air as high as possible for 5 seconds.

there is a different name for this but I can't remember, wow my memory is not doing good today
    Bless you

contract relax antagonist relax

ex. leg elevated on something, isometrically push down for 5 secons, after that 5 seconds pushing down lift the leg up in the air as high as possible for 5 seconds.

there is a different name for this but I can't remember, wow my memory is not doing good today
    Ah, I though it was the one where you tense your muscles while holding a stretch.

you could be right, my brain is not functionally functionable
    Bless you

you could be right, my brain is not functionally functionable
    AH, a Traditional Brain eh?

don't start that, somehow this thread will be derailed into a tma v mma thread, yikes
    Bless you

Neuromuscular Proprioceptive Facilitation, I can't imagine why you couldn't remember the name! :P

I'd like to point out, they did a study on "explosive" muscle power, and stretching right before the test affected jumping ability. The only stretching that didn't hinder jumping ability greatly was ballistic, but then after... I think it was 15 minutes, the ability went back to normal.
    Mark

So what would be best for someone who wants to be able to move quickly while establishing powerful force in punches and kicks. I'm saving up to get ankle and wrist weights now, but what stretching excersizes are best to keep force from deteriating while loosening the joints?
    "There is a point in every person's life when they choose to see through their own eyes" -Daniel09

"It is one thing to get over each others differences. It is something else entirely to think you can stop fighting over differences simply by avoiding them entirely" -Daniel09

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel09 View Post
    So what would be best for someone who wants to be able to move quickly while establishing powerful force in punches and kicks. I'm saving up to get ankle and wrist weights now, but what stretching excersizes are best to keep force from deteriating while loosening the joints?

Okay, I know you're young, so my advice, don't make up routines prior to doing research.

First, the wrist and ankle weights will only hurt your joint, and they are weighing down your punch. For developing power for striking there are a few things you can do:

1 practice punching, particularly on a heavy bag. work on your mechanics and relaxation. have sessions where you work on speed and others where you work on technique.

2 develop a strength and power program. read through the 'strength training links' sticky thread on this forum. you are high school age, so your school probably has a gym where you can work out for free.

3 try doing some speed intervals, or HIIT. you can find info on that in the same thread mentioned above or at these sites: www.rossboxing.com or www.rosstraining.com

Good luck, and drop those weights.

Oh, and program your stretching around your lifting, dynamic (motion) stretching before and static stretching after.
    Bless you

Bodhi has groin pulled the correct.