Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's the new style...

It's the new style...

{Title said in my best Beastie Boys imitation...}

Okay, here's the deal.
    For the past 2 months I stopped hitting up Muay Thai.
    I may go back, but probably not more than once a week.
    See, the motivation to block everything else out of my life & get tunnel vision in order to train hardcore enough to prepare for a fight has basically left me.
    Part of it's living in Texas- I just don't get angry here like I used to in Baltimore.
    Part of it's my gym- the coach is nice, but training there I can't help but miss my old gyms back east.

For the last 2 months what I have been pretty decent at is lifting weights a couple times a week.
    I started out shooting for 3 days a week- 1 push, 1 pull, 1 lower body.
    Lower body days were really killing me, so in order to maintain a decent schedule, i basically cut them out.

Last weekend my buddies came to town from Kansas.
    They all lift and they were in DFW for a bodybuilding expo (Europa).
    They got me into the expo for free and we got tons of free supplements.
    Got almost a year's worth of supplements now.
    My buddies also gave me a copy of Chad Waterbury's new book and encouraged me to give it a shot.
    So now I'm going through the Waterbury's book and trying to follow the routine.

Also, I'm taking a training trip to go start learning a new style over Labor Day weekend. Means I'll be getting back into MA training in some capacity of course.

This is my new blog and it starts now.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Last night was my first day on Waterbury program.
    Starting the "Big Boy Basics" program.

Warmup
    Elliptical crosstrainer:
    1 minute - warm up
    9 minutes - 15 seconds sprint, 90seconds active rest
    3 minutes - cool down

Day 1
    80% of 1RM is the goal weight

BB Bench Press
    8 sets of 3, 60s rest after each set
    145, 155, 165, 175, 175, 175, 175, 175
    Last couple sets, rep 3 wasn't really all the way down, but weight wasn't that heavy

Seated Row (hammer strength machine)
    8 sets of 3, 60s rest after each set
    135lbs of plates, 135, 160, 160, 180, 180, 180, 180
    Machine made starting hard, but felt pretty easy

Pullup (assisted)
    8 sets of 3, 60s rest
    8 plate assist (40lbs), 8plates, 7plates (34), 7plates, 7plates, 7plates, 7plates, 8plates
    Last rep always seemed hard. Tired by 5th set.

DB Military Press (standing)
    8 sets of 3, 60s rest
    45lb dbells, 50lbers, 55lbers, 55, 55, 55, 55, 55
    Didn't write down last 2 sets in notebook. They were kind of a blur. Almost scared I stopped at 7. Was REALLY hard by the end. Thought my back was gonna go out.

Cardio
    Steady-state, low intensity cardio.
    1.0 incline, 3.5mph, walking, HR around 150
    20 minutes

Supplements are really helping.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

4 and 3 and 2 and 1, what up!

What's the new MA style?

good luck with the training...

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    goldarnit stricker...i was going to say that....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

aiight I'll make it public.
    leaving in about 2 weeks to go train with illusionfist from the board in hung gar.
    he and i been tight for a long time, since way back when the board was blue, so i really trust him.

Warm up
    Level 20 for the first 7 min, 18 after that
    1 minute easy
    9 minutes of 15s sprint, 90s rest
    3 minutes cool down
    kicked my hiney eventhough calorie count was low. Heart rate got up to 194bpm.

Work out 2
    Goal for the day is 70% 1RM

BB back squat
    3 sets of 8 reps
    90s rest
    135, 185, 185
    Felt okay, but even on 135 i was a lil worried about leaning forward. Was able to catch it most times on the way up from the bottom and kick my booty forward but still a lil leary. The warm up had me sweatin bad. Hamstrings got sore right away.

Reverse Crunch
    3 sets of 8 reps
    60s rest
    Did my 3 sets, no weight on this one, at least i didn't know how to add any. Was pretty easy, but was sweating bad.

DB deadlift
    3 sets of 8 reps
    60s rest
    90lb dumbells, 90lbers, 90lbers
    Felt like my heart was going to pop at the end of each set. Was originally shooting for 100lbers but this wasn't easy.

Ab wheel
    3 sets of 8 reps
    60s rest
    Okay, my gym don't have an ab wheel.
    So the first set was on a foam roller - didn't work too well.
    Second 2 sets I put my feet on a swiss ball, hands in pushup position, and pulled my knees up. Kinda hard

Standing Calf Raise
    3 sets of 8 reps
    60s rest
    95, 115, 135
    Out of breath

Cardio
    1.0 incline, 2.5mph
    20 minutes
    I was dead by the time i started this. My legs were really starting to act funny and I was just plain exhausted. My heart rate stayed in the low 140s for most of it.

I don't know what happened to me today. By the end of work I was feeling super sick. The vent above my cubical doesn't work well and my cube was especially stuffy today. I went home and took a couple hour nap after work. When I woke up i just felt sad & lonely. Can't really explain it. Dunno if it was a caffeine thing or what- diet pills plus a diet soda around noon. Been listening to a lot of Tiger Army lately and the guy's voice gives me that kind of homesick feeling- like sitting on the beach at night looking at the stars. Wondering if it's time to leave Texas again. If I had someone here, this place would be perfect, but by myself, I feel like I don't belong here- eventhough I don't hate it.

Just want to add that having a buffet of supplements to choose from is super nice. I can break 100g of protein a day barely even trying. Creatine, glutamine, zma, cla, even the diet pills, i can tell they're helping me recover and put everything into the workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    If I had someone here, this place would be perfect, but by myself, I feel like I don't belong here- eventhough I don't hate it.
    Anytime you need a break from Texas, I'm just 2.5 hours North.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Anytime you need a break from Texas, I'm just 2.5 hours North.
    Yeah, I've been meaning to take you up on that.
    Maybe in October or something?
    Did you end up coming down for Taiji Legacy?

Fell hard for this girl a couple weeks ago, when she was in town on vacation.
    After she went back she didn't return my calls.
    Kinda why I'm bummed out.

Did you end up coming down for Taiji Legacy?
    I didn't make it down this year. Kids, my own club, getting ready for NY....it was a busy couple of weeks.

Fell hard for this girl a couple weeks ago, when she was in town on vacation.After she went back she didn't return my calls.
    Kinda why I'm bummed out.
    Sux, bro. In times like these, it helps if we remember the wisdom of the late Eazy-E. And I quote, "A b1tch is a b1tch."

Friday was a rest day.
    Went to go meet my friend for dinner and we didn't get done talking until midnight at least.

Saturday was rough.
    REAL rough.
    The workout was easy:

Cardio
    Was in a hurry, so skipped all cardio & warm up.

Weights
    All exercises were 3 sets of 8 reps.
    Rest interval was 90s between sets.
    Goal weight was 70% 1RM

Incline Dumbell Bench
    55-60-65
    Last set a little tough, mostly easy

Dumbell Bent Row
    55-60-65
    Really easy, did underhanded grip and 1 arm at a time, no rest between arms though.

Barbell Curl
    EZcurl bar +25lb each side, EZ +25, EZ +20
    Second set was a bit bad. Third set was hard. Used EZ curl bar for ease of use.

Triceps Pressdown
    6 plates, 9 plates, 12 plates
    Did it with a medium - wide bent bar, to simulate the reverse of the EZ curl bar.
    Was pretty easy. Can handle much more weight this way than with the rope.

Then the workout was over.
    Went way quick.
    Went to Okinawan Drumming (Eisa) class after that; which is a lot of dancing.
    Eisa practice was 3 hours.
    Raced home, got a shower and drove out to meet my friends in Dallas for Korean food and karaoke.
    Probably should've skipped it.

Found out why the girl i was dating in Mississippi hasn't been returning my calls.
    A guy I introduced her to started chasing after her and got her.
    The guy was supposed to be a good friend of mine.
    In fact, we'd have weekly phone conversations about how people were treating him like garbage, and I tried to give him a lot of advice.
    We were supposed to be tight.
    He broke man law.
    Heck we even had a conversation about it the night i introduced him to her because he was starting to lay down game.
    The friends I met up at the korean place were the ones that introduced me to that girl but they also facilitated that guy doing what he did- they invited him out with them the day she left; so it looks like I don't really got any friends.
    Even though I tried to make the best of the karaoke (when all I felt was rage), I'm cutting them out of my life.

Some people are garbage.

Anyway, afterwards, I went to the Japanese bar we all hang out at sometimes.
    Dropped word of what happened and let people know I was lookin for the little twerp. Went home, and polished off about 500mL of Jim Beam.

Woke up way late on Sunday, don't think I went to sleep till well after sunrise.
    Helped my buddy from Eisa move some palates- was actually a lot of work.
    He teaches shorin ryu, straight up traditional style, so we talked about martial arts and womenz for a long time.
    Gonna take him out to the bar on Saturday- kind of insurance policy/legal counsel hehe.

Went home, finally ate and had a real hard time going to sleep.
    Strolled into work this morning around 11.

I think I may be finally getting to the point of just being altogether tired of the idea of having a girl so I can actually settle down and start accomplishing some goals.

Found out why the girl i was dating in Mississippi hasn't been returning my calls.
    A guy I introduced her to started chasing after her and got her.
    The guy was supposed to be a good friend of mine.
    In fact, we'd have weekly phone conversations about how people were treating him like garbage, and I tried to give him a lot of advice.
    We were supposed to be tight.
    He broke man law.
    Heck we even had a conversation about it the night i introduced him to her because he was starting to lay down game.
    1. there is no man law, other than that if she is definitely your woman, she is off limits. hell, most of the guys I know are down with sharing, as long she's not your main woman - then she is off limits. FWIW, many women are the same way. One recently told me that she believes everyone should have two people in their life - their main squeeze and one other. I asked 10 other women I know how they felt about it and 8 of em agreed.

2. stop worrying about having a woman in your life so much, bro. just casually date. if the right one falls into your lap, hold onto her, but don't go around looking for that right one all the time. she will show up in due time.

3. this actually deals with the first thing, but my friend called me while I was typing the second thing... she has a boyfriend but is also dating a married man. she says she is in love with them both, so she is confused. the married man also says he loves her. such is life...

training sounds like it is going good so far. keep it up.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    1. there is no man law, other than that if she is definitely your woman, she is off limits. hell, most of the guys I know are down with sharing, as long she's not your main woman - then she is off limits.
    I'm thinking things are pretty different in your circle then.
    I ain't too down with having people on the side either.
    Might work where you're at, but just not how I am.
    If it works for you, and the people around you, fine.
    Not how I play, or what I'll accept of someone else with me.

Regardless, I explained to the guy my side of things and he chose to ignore me.
    I only asked of him what I'd already done for him earlier this year- the same exact favor.
    So being treated like that, regardless of the "dating rules", doesn't mean I gotta just forgive the guy.
    I wore out my "turn the other cheek" muscle last year.
    I ain't just gonna laugh it off in this case.

As far as women go, yeah I'm finally ready to give up.
    I am stuck in an area with a VERY small population of girls that are my "type", so casual dating's out of the question.
    The longer I'm here the more I've been learning that this isn't the place for me.
    I keep telling myself I'm going to give it at least another year or two, but I may end up leaving sooner.

In the meantime, I'm finally at a point where I can keep my head on what I'm doing instead of who i'd rather be with.

EDIT: I was supposed to work out one more time last week but because of waking up late sunday and moving palates all day I wasn't able to get it in. Planning on going tonight.

Crashed after work last night around 9
    Was still worn out from the weekend.
    woke up around 1:30 and went to go work out by around 2.

warm up
    HIIT
    1 min warm up
    9 minutes of 15 seconds sprint, 90 seconds active rest
    3 minutes "cool down"
    calorie count back up to a decent number, heart rate around 184 max i think

workout
    8 sets, 3 reps
    60s rest between sets
    goal weight 80% 1RM

barbell lunge
    135, 185, 185, 185, 185, 185, 185, 185
    One leg at a time, no rest between legs. Last set a little rough, otherwise not too bad. Workout originally called for hack squat, but earlier in the book they said lunges were cool; so i went for them instead.

leg curl
    70, 90, 110, 130, 150, 170, 190, 170
    The 190lb set was a bit too much. 170's perfect.

reverse crunch
    did it with the medicine ball and supersetted the last 2 sets
    pretty easy.

seated calf raise
    90, 135, 135, 135, 135, 135, 135, 135
    felt nicely painful

cardio
    20 minute easy walk, heart rate started around 130 and got up to the mid 140s.

Didn't really kill myself on this workout.
    Felt like I could've done another HIIT session at the end.
    Trying to use the anger at that lil situation to keep myself on track.
    If I don't shoot my wad and leave everything at the gym on a single workout; maintaining a good, regular, consistent workout schedule should be easy until i can handle a higher intensity.
    I really would like to be more self-sufficient, so I can stay on track and accomplish some goals.
    I think I've finally found a way to do it.
    Last night I got rid of a bunch of people out of my life.
    Won't make a difference to them, but it should reduce troublesome distractions for me, and not going to let expose myself to those kind of people anymore.
    Going to be a lot more picky about who I keep around me.

Worked out at the muay thai gym today.
    level 1, lots of bag work.
    every time i come back after a lay off i suffer and say i'll never take off again.
    blisters on my feet, realization that my technique's really slipped... and heck it's only been 2 months...
    i'll be good in a few weeks.

Writing this off of memory so it's not going to be perfect, will update later if need be.

Warm up
    Didn't do anything as strict as the intervals.
    Just kinda did my own random intervals; pushing it as i felt necessary.
    My heart rate got up to 194 and averaged something insane like 187.
    basically just went 13 minutes (10 workout + 3 "cooldown") on level 19.
    Think it was a new calorie record so i was pushing it pretty good.

Workout
    Today's protocol was:
    80% 1RM goal weight
    55s rest between sets
    8 sets of 3 reps

BB Bench
    175, 175, 175, 175, 175, 175, 175, 175
    Not too bad, but last set was a little slow going
    Gym's washer's broke & it gets real hot- especially after the "warm up", so i basically just sweat all over the place.

Seated Row
    135, 135, 160, 160, 170, 170, 170, 170
    170 felt good, probly start there next time

Assisted Pullup
    7 plate assist, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7
    Last set was pretty hard, but it felt a bit stronger than last time

DBell Military Press
    55s, 55s, 55s, 55s, 60s, 60s, 55s, 55s
    Did it seated this time to save some wear and tear on my back.
    7th set failed. Just couldn't get the dumbell out of the starting position on my left. It didn't hurt, it didn't feel tired, it just wouldn't go up. Did my best to crank out 3 ugly ones with 55s standing. The final set wasn't any better, going with the 55s standing again. After that I basically got the heck out of there.

No low intensity cardio because I'm planning on hitting the kickboxing gym again tonight and am hoping to have some energy (with the aid of supplements, of course), to be able to go lift sometime tonight after that. Only going to work a couple hours tomorrow, so it's basically a day off- can rest as much as i want and hit the gym in the evening.

I know I wouldn't be doing this without supplements.
    I mean I'm surprised, i was actually able to wake up this morning after maybe 4 hours of sleep - tough time sleeping last night.
    That's twice in to work before 8 o'clock this week (i don't think that's happened since I moved here).

Still shooting to finish up my split by saturday.
    Means 5 workout days this week straight; which sounds insane but I fell behind last week and want to get caught up.
    Can't wait to take off on sunday.
    There's a few obvious things I can clean up next week.

Otherwise, so far so good, still feel amped about my program.
    After this week it's 1 more week on Big Boy Basics & then I'll move onto the Anti-BodyBuilding Hypertrophy program (ABBH)- a 23 day program.

I'm thinking things are pretty different in your circle then.
    I ain't too down with having people on the side either.
    Might work where you're at, but just not how I am.
    If it works for you, and the people around you, fine.
    Not how I play, or what I'll accept of someone else with me.
    yeah, sounds like it. That stopped with me after marriage, but prior to that it was no biggie.

Regardless, I explained to the guy my side of things and he chose to ignore me.
    I only asked of him what I'd already done for him earlier this year- the same exact favor.
    So being treated like that, regardless of the "dating rules", doesn't mean I gotta just forgive the guy.
    true.

As far as women go, yeah I'm finally ready to give up.
    I am stuck in an area with a VERY small population of girls that are my "type", so casual dating's out of the question.
    The longer I'm here the more I've been learning that this isn't the place for me.
    I keep telling myself I'm going to give it at least another year or two, but I may end up leaving sooner.
    back to the east coast?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter