Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's the new style...

Made it through an hour of kickboxing and felt like i could go another hour afterwards.
    Weird thing is on the way home i started getting ridiculously sleepy.
    Gonna hit the gym later tonight for more weights.
    Hope if I hit some NOX beforehand I can get some strength back.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

busy evening
    after thai took a nap for an hour
    my buddy called
    he just came back from okinawa last night at 2am
    wanted to meet at main event

went up there early and was hitting the punching machine for 30~45 min.
    Got over a 900 with my hook, but couldn't score over maybe 860 with either cross.
    My right cross was actually a lil stronger than my left- which kinda stinks; i'd always thought the left was naturally stronger.

my buddies finally showed up and we bowled for 2 hours.

Went home took some NoXplod, got changed and went to work out.

No warm up coz I'd already done a lot today.

Workout
    Goal weight was 74% 1RM
    3 sets of 8 reps.

Bbell Back Squat
    90s rest between sets
    205, 205, 205
    Mighta hurt my back on last set. Started gettin sore after that.

Reverse Crunch
    60s rest between sets
    soft med ball, soft, soft
    was kinda hard

Dumbell Deadlift
    60s rest between sets
    100lb dumbells, 100s, 100s
    Was almost easy. Got a bit outta breath. Good workout eventho my back was starting to cramp up.

Twisting crunch
    60s rest between sets
    90, 110, 130
    not too hard; pretty easy but felt pukey

Standing calf raise
    45s rest between sets
    175, 175, 175
    Back sore

Hobbled out to my car, back pretty sore.
    Not sure if it's messed up or not, might just be sore coz the bowling was pretty back intensive too.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Back is still real stiff.
    Not goin to muay thai today.
    gonna go home and take a nap after work, maybe grab some food.
    might try to hit the gym later if my back's okay.
    have a lot to do to get ready for my trip tomorrow.

Throwing up, don't want to go to the gym.
    back is just sore not serious.
    still need to prepare for my trip.

Trip was fun, didn't get to hit the gyms beforehand.
    Trained an hour or two each day on my trip (fri, sat, sun, mon).
    Came back monday night.
    Couldn't sleep until almost 6am this morning.
    Just chilled all day today (Tuesday).
    Get back on the program tomorrow.
    Just wanted to recharge a bit.

got back from the gym around 9
    did muay thai padwork class and did the submission wrestling class.
    submission wrestling class killed me, i just wasn't used to moving that way.
    it was fun though and i don't hate the ground like i used to.

going to the gym in a little bit to re-do my final week of BBB from last workout to first.
    next week i'll kick off Anti-Body-Building-Hypertrophy.

lifted weights

no warm up

workout
    80% 1RM
    8 reps, 3 sets
    50s rest between sets

lunges
    185, 185, 185, 185, 185, 185, 185, 185
    knee kinda hurt. got this feeling in my hip that i sometimes get on lunges- almost like a hernia, only lasted one set though. otherwise, it was tough, but do-able.

hamstring curls
    170, 170, 170, 170, 170, 170, 170, 170
    tough but doable

reverse crunches
    10lb medball, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
    pretty easy

seated calf raise
    160, 160, 160, 160, 160, 160, 160, 160
    really tough, but got it done

finished up with a form and some kung fu drills in the aerobics room, mighta been 5 or 10 minutes. Was sweating like crazy from the NO stuff.

man it's late, shoulda been asleep an hour ago.

Muay thai pad class today after work.
    Afterwards I watched the sparring class but didn't partake.
    it relit my fire for wanting to play though.
    think i'll start sparring again tuesdays.
    i'm cool with going muay thai fulltime as long as i'm still lifting.
    lifting is the priority though so i gotta make sure i make it into the gym every chance i get.

Drank some of that NO stuff, took a nap for an hour or so, woke up and went to the gym.

Workout
    74% 1RM goal weight
    3 sets 8 reps
    90s rest between sets

Incline dumbell bench
    70, 70, 50
    Last set, I went for 70, and my left shoulder locked at the bottom. Dunno if I leaned out of position, throwing it out of joint, trying to cheat to get it up. not sure what happened. the weight wouldn't move. It wasn't heavy, i held it up there for like 30 seconds, my arm just couldn't extend. Ticked off, i tossed the weights back on the rack, took a little breather and tried the same thing with 65lbs. Same thing happened. Grabbed the 50s and blasted out 8 as fast as possible. my left shoulder has been feeling weird for a little while and it did this the other week on dumbell military press. hope it's not injured.

dumbell row
    70, 70, 70
    ripped these out fast. pretty easy

barbell curl
    Ez curl plus 25lbs each side, EZ + 25, EZ + 25
    Last rep ugly but i did it.

tricep extension
    12 plates, 13 plates, 14
    Used small v-grip. Just feels too easy. Probably substitute the exercise once I get to ABBH.

Cardio
    Think I did about 20 or 30 minutes of kung fu stuff, including some joint mobility stuff.

Came home to find out I lost 5 pounds. Might've lost some muscle, but it's nice to notice a difference. Just hope my shoulder isn't something serious.

Friday was a waste.
    Couldn't sleep till after 3 am.
    Woke up like 11:30.
    Went to work, had to work till 6:30 just to make up hours.
    Didn't make up enough.
    Got out of work and was sore as heck.
    Went to bed around 10:40pm.

Woke up at 3:30am saturday.
    Was starving so I went to denny's around 5.
    Got home from denny's by 6 and went back to bed for a little while.

Woke up at almost 12pm.
    Missed kickboxing.
    Couldn't get out of bed till 1.

went to eisa, 4 hour practice.
    Almost fell out the final hour- got dizzy and disoriented working out outside.
    ate some salt, drank some water, finished practice.
    Afterwards, ate a few sandwich appetizers and went to the gym.

Workout
    3 sets 8 reps
    74% 1RM
    50s rest between sets

Front squat
    135, 135, 135
    Had a hard time with the grip the first set; so actually paused for a few seconds midway through.
    Next 2 sets went much easier.
    Was pretty tired, probably could've done more, but was definitely feeling it.

Reverse crunch
    8lb soft medicine ball, 8, 8
    pretty easy

Deadlift
    225, 225, 225
    Dumbell deadlift was getting on my nerves.
    This was much harder on the grip.
    225 for 8 reps is no joke, I think even when i was maxing out at 405, 225 wasn't easy for 10 times.
    Rough on the grip; otherwise not bad; just tired so i was feeling it.

Crunch machine
    80, 100, 120
    easy. i don't like this machine. supposed to be abwheel but gym ain't got one and i don't want to make it up at home.

standing calf raise
    195, 195, 195
    Not too bad but somewhat of a challenge.

Took just under 30min to finish the workout.

Looking at my supplement intake this week, I think having a good protein supplement makes a huge difference, as does the AMP, Joint Juice (or other Glucosamine supp) and the ZMA. Probably need to invest a little to make sure those bases are covered so I can minimize soreness.

kinda missed a workout sunday.
    i mean, i completed all the workouts on the bbb schedule, even repeating one.
    i was just considering repeating a second one to be able to write off the week i went on vacation; unfortunately i was a little bit too banged up.
    barely got out of bed all day- once I got home.

Definitely need to start thinking about dropping some money on some more supplements, now that the supply's running low, 'coz I'm feeling a lot more sore.

japanese class tonight.

start abbh on tuesday

Porkchop - got to admit, asides from having been here forver I was wondering what your Muay Thai background had to do with Hung Gar...

But since the cat's out of the bag... do Let us know what you're getting out of the training with Illusionfist, will ya? (either here or elsewhere).
    Last edited by mok; 09-10-2007 at 02:13 PM.
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

ancient chinese secrets

i am doing my best to work on what he's given me
    and i run through it a lot more than will appear in this journal
    but i really wish i had more time to devote to it
    because i know if i don't devote more time to it i'm not going to get anywhere with it

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    ancient chinese secrets
    but i really wish i had more time to devote to it
    because i know if i don't devote more time to it i'm not going to get anywhere with it
    LOL - that's how i feel everytime I drag my sorry-ass to train, and all i do is hung ga.

Neway your training blog's an inspiration. Keep it up.
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

thanx

went ahead and invested a couple hundred bucks to replenish my stores of the supplements I liked from the free-sample buffet. they've make a huge difference thus far and I know they'll keep me in the game a while.

Currently looking at my next program. Fewer exercises, but more total reps per exercise. Going to be interesting. Might get a head start on it tonight after Japanese class. At least it's an every-other day program. Lifting consecutive days is pretty grueling for me.