Saturday was a super day

Lifted weights in the morning:

Workout
    5 sets of 10 reps
    60% 1RM goal
    60s rest

Dips
    5 plate assist, 5, 5, 5, 5
    First set was actually 2 sets of 5 reps, forgot what i was doing.
    Last set was a bit tough.

Assisted Chin Up
    7plate assist, 8, 12, 14, 14
    Just feels too much. Every set after the first was terrible. I was just burnt. Don't know if it's the recovery time (60s) or the fact that the lats get hit during dips, or what. Think I need to start at 10 or 12 and just stay there.

Went home for a couple hours.
    Protein shake, muffin, water.
    Then I went to boxing class.
    Boxing class was fun but some of the punch out drills hurt.

Went home after that: shower, more protein.
    Then it was off to Eisa practice.
    Dancing was kinda short, but intense.
    Think my knee's been finicky because of the spinning jumps & not the stances.

After eisa went with my buddies to the opening of a huge outdoor mall.
    Kinda like a strip mall on steroids.
    Walked around there for at least an hour, maybe 2.

By the time we went out to dinner, I was in desperate need of food.
    A beer on an empty stomach's a bad idea.
    Luckily it was just one and my stomach wasn't empty long.
    Boy did I eat.
    Got a grilled chicken sandwich, next thing I know I'm eating other people's leftovers. LOL
    Slept at my friends' place.

Sunday
    Today wasn't as good.
    Had to come home from my friend's place before our performance today so morning workout was out.
    Performance was TOUGH.
    Drumming in our get up in 90+ degree weather - direct sunlight, with a big heavy drum around your neck.
    Afterwards ate some korean food with tons of veggies.
    Got home and just crashed til dexter came on.
    Don't think I'm gonna lift the final day in my rotation tonight.
    Lifted 3 out of 4 days, so the 5th I'm understandably tired.
    So if that makes me a failure o well.
    Did a lot more than I usually do on Sundays at least.

Saw the guy I wanted to smash today at the gig.
    He came back stage while we were waiting to go on, like he was my old buddy.
    My friends were like "hey look it's your friend!".
    All I could do was shake my head "no" and mouth "get the F out of here" before turning & walking away.
    He had this shocked look on his face like "no?".
    Either he's dense or he's playing a game- probably both.
    Saw him during the performance video taping.
    Messed up the first song a lil; but nailed the second.
    Glad I didn't smash him there, in front of all those people, wearing my dance troupe uniform & causing them grief; but it sure would be nice to get some payback.
    Tempted to say that's strike 2 after he posted on my myspace page a few weeks ago; i dunno. this stuff is juvenile.
    I'm trying to let him just move to tokyo and give him a pass while I do my own thing but he's makin it hard.

Gonna grab some food and get ready for the week.
    If I'm still wide awake later, I'll try to hit the gym.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Monday
    Went to japanese class, came home and felt like i was getting sick. Think it was just allergies.

Tuesday
    I really dont' know what happened tuesday. I was still feeling ill. Crashed after work for a few hours, got woken up by the phone. Spent the rest of the evening looking for jobs and talking with friends I hadn't heard from in a while. Got to be around 1 so i went to bed.

Wednesday
    Got outta work early.
    Feeling better today.
    2, hour-long classes at Muay thai.
    Think he was being nice on the second class coz it didn't kill me at all.
    Came home and chilled.

Finally went to go work out around 11.
    The workout
    This was a 10 set of 4 reps day.
    60s rest.
    80% 1rm goal weight
    Was tired so no cardio warm up

BBell deadlift
    315, 315, 315, 315, 315, 315, 315, 315, (315), 225, 225
    By that ninth set i was so exhausted and my hands were hurting so much, i cranked out a single rep, set the weight back down, and pealed off a plate from each side. Last 2 sets weren't so bad, just exhausted. need to get some lifting gloves.

Seated Calf Raise
    170, 160, 160, 160, 160, 160, 160, 160, 160, 135
    170 just didn't feel good.
    160 felt pretty good till the end.
    135 was flying.

Crunch Machine
    110, 130, 130, 110, 110, 110, 110, 110, 110, 110
    Was falling asleep between sets. Didn't like the way 130 felt- think i popped some joint in my pelvic region.

Cardio
    25 minutes on elliptical cross training.
    Got about 450 calories.
    Basically did it till I started spacing out.
    Kinda dizzy on the drive home too.

Had trouble falling asleep- went to bed around 2.
    Woke up real late today, like 9:30 or something.
    Needed the rest.
    Tomorrow I go down to San Antonio to meet up with some friends.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Hit the thai gym today for an hour in boiling heat.
    Went sushi with some friends afterwards.
    Now my whole body's tightened up.
    Tryin to get the nerve to go lift weights.
    Midnight already.
    Not looking good.
    Probably smarter to hit the gym tomorrow morning
    hurtin

wow, been almost 2 weeks
    well
    last week i didn't do too much
    fell for this girl in san antonio, came back and had to catch up on a lot of stuff- especially job hunting stuff.

this week...

Tuesday
    Thai gym for 2 classes.
    killed it
    difference between getting exhausted in the heat versus the cold- in the heat you feel burnt to a crisp, battery acid in your lungs and all that; in the cold, it's like getting hypothermia, you just get weak and sleepy.
    I don't usually react well to climate change.

Wednesday
    warm up 10 min on the elliptical.

workout
    another cruddy abbh workout, i really don't like the volume on these workouts. think it's affecting my performance too. tempted to go back to big boy basics after this.
    10 sets of 5 reps. 80% 1rm, 60seconds rest.
    Rest is just not enough.
    Too many sets and reps for that much weight.

bbell bench
    185, 185, 175, 175, 175, 155, 155, 155, 155, 155
    The last rep on some of the sets were pretty darn ugly.
    Might've only done 4 on the second set.
    Think i waited too late to go workout

tbar row
    135, 135, 135, 125, 125, 125, 125, 125, 125, 125
    supposed to be barbell row but i think tbar's a better exercise; tend to have better form with it.

Rough first day back in the weight room.

Double duty Thursday

Put in a really hard hour in the kickboxing gym.

rested for a few hours

then went to go lift

Workout
    5 sets of 10 reps day
    60% of 1RM goal weight
    i ignored the 60s of rest because of the kickboxing earlier in the evening.
    it was close, I just needed more time to catch my breath sometimes.

bbell front squat
    135, 135, 145, 145, 155
    Basically I tried to take a lesson from my recent failures on these workouts and build up to my desired weight. Especially at these volumes.
    The last set was solid, but mostly just parallel and not atg squats like i maybe should have.

reverse crunch
    10, 10, 10, 10, 8
    Stup!d 10 pound rubber medicine ball didn't want to stay between my legs- was real slick & kept dropping it. 4th set was atrocious. Dropped down to the puffy 8lb med ball for the last set. Don't think I'll mess around with the rubber one no more.

standing calf raise
    235, 235, 235, 235, 235
    Pretty good, although I don't recommend going up too much more in weight or my form will break down.

Went home and my throat was kinda hurting last night. Lost my voice. Miss my girl. Not in a great mood. Starting to get real sore. Think I can still make it today and saturday, but i'd really rather be in san antonio right now.

try some zycam for the throat! stuff works! or just some plain zinc.

I just wanted to make a comment, long time reader first time writer kind o thing

Oh, and how do you calculate % of 1RM?
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    try some zycam for the throat! stuff works! or just some plain zinc.

I just wanted to make a comment, long time reader first time writer kind o thing

Oh, and how do you calculate % of 1RM?
    Took some zma last night and the throat's a bit better today, might double up on the vitamins later, thanx.

To be honest, I am not that precise with calculating the weight.
    I usually have an idea of what I can do once, and try take the percentage of that.
    Other times the recommended percentage really doesn't work out for the rep schemes; so I try to take the goal weight as a recommendation and then adjust for what I can actually do for that many reps/sets.

For example, on this current routine, I started out with 10 sets of 3 at 80% 1rm; which was not so bad, but when the # of reps per set jumped to 4 it got a bit harder, and by 5 it was almost impossible with the same weight. I'm finding if I start at the goal weight from the beginning, my strength drops off drastically as the sets progress, but if i work up to the goal weight it goes a little bit better. For chin ups, i've been goin a bit too heavy from the start, i get burnt, and my strength drops off drastically so probably smart to start a lil lighter and work up.

One guideline that the author gives in the book I'm reading is that you can't always improve. Occasionally you need to drop the weight back down- either when you're having a bad day or when you start back up with a new routine (the routines are changing every 3 weeks or so). It's the progression over time that gets you stronger, not necessarily trying to break your own records day to day (winning the war not the battles). Shaping rest and nutrition around that concept of longevity helps too.

Thanx for reading, I'll try not to be such a wuss.

Man I'm not doing a good job of maintaining this thing. LOL

Worked out twice on Friday
    hour and a half of kickboxing, and then the gym.

Workout
    lifting work out was 5 sets of 10 reps, 60 seconds rest, 60% 1rm

assisted chin up
    10, 10, 8, 8, 12
    Felt much better than in the past.
    I like going first with this

assisted dip
    10, 8, 6, 4, 4
    was failing on the last set.

saturday my girl came up to visit from san antonio.
    did a drumming performance on saturday- it was a long one.

she drove back home monday morning, through a rain storm
    it was a wonderful weekend
    lil stressed out monday that she'd have a hard time making it home & in to work on time driving through bad weather
    just kinda chilled monday night

protein shakes came in today so i'm trying them out
    so far the blue raspberry isopure is pretty good.... and 40g of protein's nothing to scoff at.
    Getting a lil tired of the protein shakes i already got, even though they got stuff like l-glutamine, vanadyl sulfate, and glycerol
    if i work out tonight, i'm going to get close on 200g of protein with a limited amount of solid food ingested....craziness.

does that flavor have an aftertaste? I tried the mango peach a while back, and it tasted good going down, but had an aftertaste from hell.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

The protein brand is Isopure.
    Taste can be a personal thing but i really like the Grape Frost and the Blue Raspberry so far. The old one I was drinking, I think was maximum nutrition's fruit punch flavor- that had an aftertaste similar to the ABB (American BodyBuilder) protein drinks, like Blue Thunder.

Kinda having a tough week, in the sense that I can't seem to get myself moving. I feel tired all the time; especially with the crazy weather we've been having and all the other things going on, so I've been taking it easy. Shoulda worked out yesterday. I think if I hadn't tried to get by on protein yesterday I mighta made it into the gym. I'm a lot more hungry lately than normal too. I leave for san antonio tomorrow after work. Wanted to have an interview scheduled before I left.

yeah - isopure's mango peach. I ended up giving it to one of my co-workers. I may try grape frost.

you and this new girl seem to be hitting it off pretty well.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    yeah - isopure's mango peach. I ended up giving it to one of my co-workers. I may try grape frost.

you and this new girl seem to be hitting it off pretty well.
    I haven't liked Isopure in the past, I think I tried apple before, so either they changed the formula or they're better at some flavors than others.

thanx she's the greatest; i just didn't want to jinx it so I've been waiting til we're a bit more official before writing.

killed it wednesday night
    too bad it's the only work out i'm sure i'll have this week.

1 hour at muay thai.
    REALLY tough pad workout.

weight workout
    10 sets 5 reps
    80% goal weight
    60s rest
    First off, the clock in the gym was busted, so I just kinda ignored rest times and did my best to just recover, but not waste any unnecessary time.
    Second, as I learned last week, 10 sets of 5 at truly 80% of 1rm is kinda ridiculous. My strength usually falls off after the 5th set or so. So when I could, I built up to the goal weight.

deadlift
    135, 185, 225, 275, 315, 365, 315, 315, 315, 315
    The sixth set was only 2 reps but it was a personal best.
    Last 2 sets didn't have the form I would've liked coz my grip was failing.
    Grip definitely a lot stronger than before.
    I know a lot of people say there's no point to a warmup set, but I really feel like it lets me lock in my form & recruit muscles I'm nervous about at higher weights.
    Kept the lighter sets faster.

seated calf raise
    160, 160, 160, 160, 170, 170, 170, 170, 170
    I've gotten stronger on this exercise and was happy with the results.

weighted crunch
    130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130, 130
    Don't really like the exercise, but no ab wheel to do the real with at the gym, don't feel like having to go home to continue the workout.

No extra cardio coz i needed to go home and call my girl.
    We talked for a good hour.
    Went to bed a lil late and woke up a lil late this morning.
    Starting to run out of time off.
    May have to work extra starting next week when I get back, until my job's over.
    Definitely moving to san antonio though, even without a job.

wassssssaaaaaaaaaap!!!!!

glad to see you are still in the gym.... altho not a waterbury fan.... but whatever..... i'm like a die hard crossfitter now....... we are out of usma now..... even jon.... sh!ts crazy with school and not geeting a fight and all that jazz but i'm still in it t win it........

here's my blog http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/pr...profile&u=8104 give it a read.... not much fight training but i'm not retired yet.... don't know whats up with ross and the san da worlds.... so it looks like the cage is where its at now......

i might hang around here for a while until it get too repetitive....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Suntzu
    Hey man!
    I'll give you a call soon.
    Sounds like lots of craziness.
    Super busy with the job hunt and relocating.
    Working out may have to take a back seat till i get my stuff together.