Thread: JKD training, the real thing.

ELFdisciple Guest

JKD training, the real thing.

I am very interested in JKD, growing up I used to watch Bruce's movies and dream of being that cool. I now practice several forms of MA, and have come to believe that the power of MA is rooted in the heart and mind of the practitioner. Although learning new techniques is nice, I am concerned more with the philosophies of the art. Bruce's philosophies are revolutionary to the MA world in my opinion. One day I will pause in my current MA studies and I will want to study other arts, JKD is on the top of my list to look into. Where are the best schools located? Who are considered the foremost authorities on JKD doctrines? I'm not sure how far I would want to go with JKD, but my interest is certainly there, and I refuse to subject myself to someone who 'claims' the art, but knows nothing about it.

ELFdisciple

Direct Disciple to the 37th Patriarch of Emperor's Long-Fist Kung-Fu

Practitioner of:
    Genki Ryu Do Karate
    White Crane and Spirit Dragon SCA combat

Rei Guest

is it just me or..

are u part of some martil arts cult oO? :D sorry but u sound so danm religious about everything in ur posts and ur name and all and... yeah... ur in a cult right? ;)

Peace! :D

*To conquer others, you must first conquer yourself*

ELFdisciple Guest
    That wasn't the response I had hoped for here... but alright.

No, I am not in a cult. Perhaps sometimes I sound a little formal, but that is because I am trying to convey respect in my posts. My name is derived from my art and my title.

ELFdisciple

Practitioner of:
    Internal Iron Palm
    Genki Ryu Do Karate

rogue Guest
    Loosen up, it's just a forum.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
    Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

ELFdisciple Guest
    Sorry, its just that when I first came here I saw alot of people getting jumped on, so I guess I responded in the only way I knew how. I mean, lets face it, in a way its kind of like going to a new school and having everyone stare at you when you walk in the door. Suddenly you're in the spotlight, but you came to learn, so you just grit you're teeth and get down to business. Wakarimas ka?

ELFdisciple

Practitioner of:
    Internal Iron Palm
    Genki Ryu Do Karate

Daedalus Guest

Wakarimas,...

However, to address your original post,...

There are very few people who post on this forum who agree as to what real JKD is. So you will probably get varied responses.

But this is my take on JKD.

JKD is not a style or system to be learned, it is merely a concept. Chances are that you are already more involved with JKD than you realize.

If you understand that all styles have shortcomings and that no-style has an answer for every situation, then you understand the reasoning behind JKD. JKD is not a new concept, Lee just gave it a name. Before then it was just called "doing what works" and "not wasting time training stuff that didn't work".

If you want to train JKD, take what you already know and put it on the chopping block. If it doesn't pertain to realistic fighting and self-defense, then get rid of it. Anything impractical, cut it loose. Once you've cut away the bulk of the crap, its time to shape whats left. What you should be left with are your best and most efficient and straight forward techniques. Now work them in the most realistic scenarios that you can come up with(contact fighting). JKD requires that you try and test everything in the fire. If it doesn't hold up then ditch it and try something else.

JKD is not a collection of styles or techniques from different styles; it is a realization that style is irrelevent in a fight. It is the fighter and his skills that matter.

A punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick. In true JKD there is no such thing as a karate punch or a TKD kick. They are what they are, nothing more and nothing less.

Of course,..this is just my opinion.
    :cool:

ELFdisciple Guest
    Sounds like Kuntao to me, maybe I should just stick to reading his philosophies. I don't want to learn new techniques all that much, I am more interested in learning the mindset of the martial artist.

ELFdisciple

Practitioner of:
    Internal Iron Palm
    Genki Ryu Do Karate

shaolinboxer Guest

What is that?

What is the mindset of the martial arts?

ELFdisciple Guest
    I have found some martial artist's who were very 'zen-like' in their approach to a fight. I have found some who believed in a kind of 'excited tension' in a confrontation. Some people believe in redirecting their opponents energy, some believe in flowing around it, others believe in going against it.

What goes through the mind in the first seconds you are in a situation? What are you're tactics? What are you're intentions? What are you're philosophies toward confrontations?

ELFdisciple

Practitioner of:
    Internal Iron Palm
    Genki Ryu Do Karate

Daedalus Guest

Mindset

I try not to think of anything, you know,..try and keep a clear head,..mind like the moon/mind like water sort of mentality, but it rarely works for me.
    Usually my mind is screaming, move you jack@$$! :)

LEGEND Guest
    www.jkd.com

the hard part...there are 2 branches of JKD...
    JEET KUNE DO/JUN FAN group: they teach what BRUCE LEE was teaching.

JEET KUNE DO CONCEPT group: they teach what BRUCE LEE was teaching BUT encourage u to pursue MUY THAI, BJJ, BOXING, FLIP arts.

A

rogue Guest
    Check out the JKD article by Demi in this months BB. He pretty much sums it up.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
    Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman