Thread: How Does One Defeat Gracie Jujistu ?

Threaded View

Yeah, I'd rather be taken down by a double leg than a double ankle pick Although to be fair you do force the head down when you sprawl.
    You're not going to beat anyone if you don't have confidence in what you do, which you appear not to. If you do Kyokushin then I assume you're quite good at high kicks, and have practiced them with heavy contact at high intensity. Therefore there's no reason not to use them per se. In the early MMA period Maurice Smith absolutely kicked the s**t out of a Carlson Gracie black belt (who outweighed him), ending the fight with a roundhouse to the head. Indeed I always find this fight interesting, as it showed many of the "myths" of standup Vs grappiling to actually have some truth. Silveira became scared to even attempt to close on Smith because of the punishment he was taking on the way in.
    Part of the problem with the "BJJ ruled against strikers in the early UFCs" truth is it's only half the story. The Gracies continue to represent the top 5% of competitive grapplers, whereas the strikers they fought were a bunch of has-beens and nobodies (with the exception of Orlando Wiet who was a light middleweight and lost to a 250lb guy ), people with obscure titles, big fish in very small ponds and people years past their best. At the time Bart Vale attributed this to the lack of upfront money. Guys like the K1 champions weren't going to risk getting hurt for free.
    Smith at the time was a guy who's career had dipped, but was heading up again.
    Mirko Filipovic uses high kicks against grapplers all the time, Mark Weir (TKD guy on the Cage Rage circuit) uses high kicks all the time. Indeed he used them to take the fastest KO record at UFC 38.
    If you want to see a masterclass on using striking to shut down the shoot then watch Cung Le Vs Tony Frykland.
    I would heartily recommend that you study a respected grappling style such as BJJ, Sambo, Catch Wrestling or freestyle wrestling, they're useful skills and fun
    Last edited by Ben Gash; 08-19-2007 at 08:02 AM.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk