Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fat guy- What style to train?

Choy Lay FAT is a good style for bigger people

ok I know its a lame ass joke
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by Ready2Learn View Post
    Where can I find that video. Getting to the inside and blowing through people sounds right up my alley.
    Well part of it is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8nmSZxIxd0

Here are some a bit more broken down:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M7M7rLxcYg

Been a long time since i've seen the clip tho, so watching it now, my impression's not quite as shock and awe, but still not bad.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Well part of it is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8nmSZxIxd0

Here are some a bit more broken down:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M7M7rLxcYg

Been a long time since i've seen the clip tho, so watching it now, my impression's not quite as shock and awe, but still not bad.
    lai knew his stuff, not much doubt there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    any school with more than 40 or so forms (because then you know the priority of the school).
    Hey, I have over 40 forms, and the priority in my school is fighting. Now if it was lots of forms in a short space of time, THAT would be a problem.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

This might sound harsh. It should.

Take it from a guy who used to be over 400 lbs. Lose the f*cking weight.

If you don't have the discipline to take some kind of care of your body, you'll never have the discipline to learn how to be able to fight anyone who's in any kind of shape with a modicum of skill.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

I understand what you are saying "5 Animals...", but in my defense I titled this thread the way I did to receive a specific response. I'm not a couch potato by any stretch. As a chubby kid, I grew up playing football (linebacker), basketball(small forward), and even soccer where I was a slow striker that used skill and jockeying to destroy opponents. I have never been fast and never will be, my first step is great, but I won't be out running anyone past 15 yards. In sports I have always used skill and tenacity to hang and sometimes outclass more talented players.

I will excel at any style that allows me to bust into action like a linebacker crashing through a lineman.

I appreciate your message

Brenden Lai's style looks very strong, direct and brutal Does he have any followers that have continued his teachings.

Tony Chuy's one of Brendan Lai's students.
    At the very least he might be able to help you find someone your way.
    http://www.northernmantis.com/sifubio.html

EDIT: Try here too: http://www.geocities.com/mantiscave/qixing.htm

hung gar's also a good one for bashing through people like a linebacker.
    you can either deal with the bridge (block, defense, etc) or you can just smash it down- think of marciano blasting people's guard so hard he busted blood vessels in their arms.
    muay thai has a bit of that too- if a guy blocks but you knock him out of his structure & make him stumble, you'll get points under thai rules.

in response to 5 animal, you can be big and not be real fat.
    Not like I got rolls or anything, may not have abs anytime soon, but I workout.
    I scarcely see how dropping down to a 145lb tooth pick could be all that beneficial to our self defense capabilities, so why should it be a prerequisite for training?
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

learn fei tong long - a.k.a fat mantis

haha

jk

learn kickboxing and wrestling dude!

u'd destroy anyone with all that weight behind u

ground n pound!
    Last edited by chasincharpchui; 08-22-2007 at 03:14 AM.

i know you are looking for kung fu but you might also consider judo. explosive strength and short burst of energy work well there. plus in my experience there are few things as gratifying as throwing another person. just a thought.

Seriously, check out Xingyi or Xingyi. Arts that use your entire body weight to hit with and are very explosive. If not then pick a Southern art or Mantis. Just my .02 YMMV.
    -Golden Arms-

Look for a sifu that's a fighter, that's the most important first step...

After finding a good sifu, you just have to remember you're a big guy and train and fight accordingly. I know that sounds easy, but it wasn't in my case. I've always been one of those freaks of nature the big guy who could run and move with the small guys. I played nose tackle and defensive tackle when I played football, but I ran with the running backs and receivers when running sprints.

I always wanted to out speed the little guys, so I trained and practiced that way my whole life. Recently i've had to learn to fight like a big guy not trying to out speed anyone anymore, i'm 41 now, i'm nowhere near as fast as I once was. My speed made up for my lack of technique. Now it's all about technique and using my size to an advantage.

I was told I was too big to do Hak Fu Mun, yet 6 yrs later here I am still training in Hak Fu Mun and surprizing many who doubted me.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)