Thread: WC school in SF?

WC school in SF?

My friend is moving down to San Francisco, and wants to find a fairly traditional (as in taught seriously and fairly orthodox) Wing Chun school. She doesnt really want the relaxed atmosphere schools.

Any recommendations?
    -Golden Arms-

Hi,

If I recall there are several schools in the SF area. But your question to traditional and not relaxed is quite interesting. When I think of Wing CHun I think of non traditional schools, as opposed to Choy Lee Fut, Hung Gar, Lung Ying, Mantis, White Crane, and many, many others. So you might want to redefine what you mean by traditional. Wing Chun often is taught informally without uniforms and rigid structure. Sure you find certain things like this form before that one and that different things are taught in different orders. What exactly is the requirements for not relaxed?

From my knowledge there are schools from various lineages that I have seen referenced here. Leung Ting(past and present affiliates) has schools in the area as do Chris Chan, Kenneth Chung, and others.

Sounds like she wants an assbeating... Cool.. LOL

The combination sounds tough.. It's hard to find teachers who really know much about the system and how to apply it and dole it out hardcore..

This place looks interesting.. No idea if they are good...Not my kind of chi sao.. But looks like they might compete..

http://www.wingchun-sf.com/
    Last edited by YungChun; 08-23-2007 at 04:59 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Hey.. How about JKD...

Gotta love the soundtrack on this site.. LOL

http://www.jkdkickboxing.com/
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Sifu Garrett Gee
    and the Hung fa kwoon are located in Daly City just north of the Airport if you are somewhat familiar with the area.

http://www.hungfayi.com/mainhfy.htm

Golden Arms
    what is the experience level of your friend or previous wc training history if you don't mind my asking?
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

She has trained WC for about a year and a half in Portland, and wants a school where she can learn fighting, as well as the usual chi sau, forms, etc. She basically just wants a good school, erring more on the side of rough than on the side of no contact if need be.
    -Golden Arms-

Thumbs up WC school in SF

Golden Arms, I sent you an email regarding Gary Lam Wing Chun in the Bay Area.
    I think this style of WC is jsut what your friend is looking for. Hope you got the email.

Thumbs up WC school in SF

Golden Arms, I sent you an email regarding Gary Lam Wing Chun in the Bay Area.
    I think this style of WC is just what your friend is looking for. Hope you got the email.