Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So here is an interesting question for some of the people on this board

So here is an interesting question for some of the people on this board

why do you take kung fu if all you do is dog it for its unrealisticness, its inferior training methods, and "it isnt as good as BJJ".

why don't you just quit your school, cause it sounds like a bad one already if you keep on talking about how other styles are better, and just go to a fighting school and do that Gracie Competition stuff. or mma ring stuff.

more power too you. then go find your way over to www.mma.tv and enjoy that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Some of us have been asking this for years!

I think they want to stay and "enlighten" us. How sad though, eh? Nothing better to do than argue checkers is better than chess on a chess forum!
    A unique snowflake

Have anyone seen a realy good kungfu fighter in MMA event?

There's a lot of fake kungfu in US when they join MMA they dont represent kungfu world, they are undertrained individual claiming to be someone who knows real kungfu.

This is Kungfu Forum, bjj is not better. Go to bjj forum.

Gee...Just on this page are three threads started by people asking about how to fight grapplers/ stopping the shoot/name strikers that keep it standing.
    If the answers scare you, don't ask scary questions Paraphrased from the movie Pulp Fiction
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

yeah, lord forbid we ever question anything, we should blindly follow whatever our teachers tell us, even when it defies common logic and actual experience
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    yeah, lord forbid we ever question anything, we should blindly follow whatever our teachers tell us, even when it defies common logic and actual experience
    You mean sifu can't make my heart stop beating without even touching me?! He said he couldn't demonstrate because his qi was so strong my heart would literally explode. (Metaphorically of course.)

As wars of words go, this board has fallen into a state of contrition.

mma proponents can't seem to get enough of telling kungfu people how wrong they are in everything they do which has left a lot of kungfu proponents feeling slighted and some bewildered.

Much of the argument is moot and people have a tendency to throw hypotheticals around as if they were reality.

then the harping about "how many kungfu" guys won mma tournaments come up, to which there is no answer really. There are plenty of guys in mma who have done or have drawn from the well of traditional martial arts. But apparently, it's not en vogue to admit that.

Anyway, I get your frustration Adam, so does the management as they have even made way for a forum all their own. They (they being the. mma proponents) seem to still be unable to come away from it.Probably has a lot to do with misplaced aggression or something.

Kungfu will always be kungfu despite how people want to put it into a box and look at it and feel like they have defined something as (a) or (b). THeir loss really isn't it?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As wars of words go, this board has fallen into a state of contrition.

mma proponents can't seem to get enough of telling kungfu people how wrong they are in everything they do which has left a lot of kungfu proponents feeling slighted and some bewildered.

Much of the argument is moot and people have a tendency to throw hypotheticals around as if they were reality.

then the harping about "how many kungfu" guys won mma tournaments come up, to which there is no answer really. There are plenty of guys in mma who have done or have drawn from the well of traditional martial arts. But apparently, it's not en vogue to admit that.

Anyway, I get your frustration Adam, so does the management as they have even made way for a forum all their own. They (they being the. mma proponents) seem to still be unable to come away from it.Probably has a lot to do with misplaced aggression or something.

Kungfu will always be kungfu despite how people want to put it into a box and look at it and feel like they have defined something as (a) or (b). THeir loss really isn't it?
    I have out a few threads into the MMA forum, they all died a chi ridden death...

I don't view myself as a CMA or a JMA, simply a MA.
    I have found and continue to find, many things of value in TMA, be them CMA, JMA, FMA or whatever.
    There can be no MMA without TMA.
    That said, EVERY MA is open to critique and rightly so, indeed, as MA it is our duty to question and "find out for ourselves" the validity of any and all MA claims.
    Why wouldn't we? we would we simply take things at face value ?

As for TCMA, they have so much to offer people beyond merely "fighting skills", BUT, that said, this is a public and open forum, when some one rips a sheet of white paper and says its black silk, they should be prepared to have their view challenged.

Personally I think that many of the discussions, although regurgitated a hundred times over, are good simply because it keeps people asking questions and seeking truths rather that accepting something that may be false. Most of us on this board agree that there are useless techniques found in Kung Fu. In MMA, although pretty much all techniques are battle tested, may not work for certain people in certain situations. This is what it is. In a boxing match, a fighter who is 6'2" will have the advantage over a fighter 5'9", given both are equally skilled, due to the reach factor. The shorter fighter may have a great jab, but can't get it in on the taller fighter because of the reach. This is an example of techniques that work in one situation and not the other. Give MMA it's due. Give Kung Fu it's due. Both have things that work and things that don't work. To the Kung Fu people, look outside the box. Not everyone is trying to bash your art and maybe, just maybe, your Sifu isn't the God you make him/her out to be. To the MMA people, Kung Fu has techniques that may look dumb or useless to you, but the element of suprise is a great weapon in battle. There are techniques found in Kung Fu that work, are battle tested, and may suprise your opponent. There are many things on these forums I am tired of. I get tired of ignorant people spouting off garbage about styles they know nothing about. I get tired of people worshipping a style or teacher like they were the messiah. But most of all, I get tired of people being closed minded.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

most of the time (like this thread) it's a tcma guy who starts this kind of thread and argues endlessly.
    Bless you

I guess some people went into kung fu thinking it was the end all be all of all martials arts. When it did not do what they wanted it to do, they got disillusioned and took something else. When that did not work, they took something else. Then MMA came out. Since its billed as all martial arts balled into one, they took that.

What most people do not understand is the other aspects of CMA. Internal development, herbal medicine including accupressure. Another problem is the lack of instruction. The art got diluted over time. I blame the western culture for that. Everyone wants it now. "I can't beat a guy to pulp in a week, well what am I taking martial arts for then?" So I believe the old instructors diluted their teaching for ease of use. Which then got diluted further by inept instructors.

I believe it was golden arhat that posted a vid showing a class of people learning application and actually fighting with the straightsword. He seemed really suprised by it. That they did not only do forms. I was not. In every school, I have been to, we've had weapons sparring. We were taught how to block, strike and move with the weapon before we even learned the form. Once the form was learned, then we put on pad and sparred with it. NOt a knock against him, but I believe his dislike of KF and belief in MMA is that he's had some lousy KF instructors that really did not know the art itself aside from punching and kicking. They probably learned that wrong too.

How do you think these student would feel after they see other arts out there that can pummel them.
    http://www.wujidomartialarts.com/vid..._sparring.html
    This school is being billed as a kung fu school.

Let's not forget KF is a rounded system. Both internal and external, both close in fighting and distance. Both weapon and open hand. Theories and phillosiphy as well as traditional medicine. The problem is there are instructors that do not teach ALL aspects of KF. They only teach a fraction of their own style. There are instructors that took out what they could not do or understand and discarded it as rubish. Further diluting the system.

The other side of the coin is people go into kung fu for the wrong reasons and get disillusioned. IF you want to bang heads kung fu is not for you in the early stage, not in any stage if you have a lousy instructor.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I used to blame the Sifus and such, for the excessive amount of BS in TMA, I don't anymore.
    I blame the people that eat up that crap and say "Yummy, what a cook".

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    To quote Rhett Butler,
    "Frankly My dear, I don't give a ****."

I've never lost any faith in Gung-Fu. Why? Because I constantly seek out better people to the point that I have met people who's skills blew my mind. Does this mean I don't study grappling? Nope. I brought Shuai Jiao people over to my school over fifteen years ago for workshops. (I've also brought in Silat grapplers, NHB fighters, BJJ guys, Greco Roman,Muay Thai, etc.) Skill is skill. Tools are tools. I'm simply adding to my toolbox.
    But I am in no way throwing out my Gung-Fu. Quite the contrary. At this point, I have connected with some people who I feel are the tops in their fields in Hung-Ga, Southern Mantis,and Shuai Jiao. People with greater skill than I've ever seen, or felt. And ya know what? These people are still learning. We all get together and cross train with each other. So here it is folks, the NEW catch-phrase-TCMMA!

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    To quote Rhett Butler,
    "Frankly My dear, I don't give a ****."

I've never lost any faith in Gung-Fu. Why? Because I constantly seek out better people to the point that I have met people who's skills blew my mind. Does this mean I don't study grappling? Nope. I brought Shuai Jiao people over to my school over fifteen years ago for workshops. (I've also brought in Silat grapplers, NHB fighters, BJJ guys, Greco Roman,Muay Thai, etc.) Skill is skill. Tools are tools. I'm simply adding to my toolbox.
    But I am in no way throwing out my Gung-Fu. Quite the contrary. At this point, I have connected with some people who I feel are the tops in their fields in Hung-Ga, Southern Mantis,and Shuai Jiao. People with greater skill than I've ever seen, or felt. And ya know what? These people are still learning. We all get together and cross train with each other. So here it is folks, the NEW catch-phrase-TCMMA!
    And I wonder when THIS became so rare ???

Props for you doing this bro, but ( and not critique to you) when was this so noteworthy ? when did doing this become other than common sense ?

And this applies to not just TCMA, but all TMA.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Ideally, this is the way it has always been. Only in the recent century, with the commercialization of MA did people get this clouded view. I have always been like this, but then again, I grew up training in multiple styles since day one.
    So whereas it would've been the exception to the norm many years ago, it has become status quo.
    MMA ain't nuthin new, simply has a new name, that's all.