Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Inside Kung-Fu Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    As a buyer, I have only very rarely bought kung fu related magazines in the last five years, because, frankly, as much as we may make fun of the shenanigans of a forum, more useful info about many styles can be found here than in so-called scholalrly articles in the kung fu magazines.

99% of which amount to six pictures of some random technique, a whole lot of naming the style, naming its forms, and naming the people who did it, very broad statements about the style or subject of the article that require little to no expertise. Either stingy with info, or not expert.

The format, which pushes the dramatic well, fails to push anything else well, imo.

If your kung fu is a secret treasure to you, be logically self consistent by not publishing articles about it that provide nothing but the appearance of dealing with its fight techniques.

If you are writing a historical survey, do that, don't waste time trying to do a mediocre history(with questionable citations) and then lack space to deal with anything else.

If you're writing an article, one would assume you or the person providing the info has some expertise. People with expertise know you can't do a class on "The deadly mobility of Southern Mantis," it tends to take some classes, so dig in for several articles, in depth ones, and dig in to really think about what you're presenting, do not delude yourself with your own expertise, allow yourself to trouble shoot the material and your knowledge, because you likely won't have any other form of editorial on your ideas.

IF your article draws people by the amazing, and you fail to provide the many completely mundane things that make up the amazing, you're not providing background to your system, you're providing a fable, and people are going to think you don't know the real thing, even if you do, and it will be your fault and no one else's.

Kung fu teachers and writers need to support and join with others who have no concern with style over substance. The mainstream bookstores not only have far fewer kung fu magazines, but far fewer kung fu books that I can recall seeing in the past. Books with a form and maybe ten applications from that form are about ten applications away from being books of contemporary wushu to an extent. Claims that all was kept secret in the past are problematic, since books defining knowledge beyond form seem to have been more common in the times that we draw tradition from, yet now, kung fu books are filled with form, not usage, while custom has made it that articles too often depict finishing moves without the framework of moves that gain one such an advantage.

This is not a case of me saying I'm better than others, but a case of someone who lifelong has bought these magazines and books, and now not only does not, but would not have students waste their time with most of them either. A good article on history is fine, but as for real scholarly articles on specific fighting methods, the scholars disappoint with juvenile fare, and are losing the interest of students who have an honest interest in fighting methods, and gaining the interest of students whose only interest is knowing something cool, but have no real interest in fighting methods.

Showing me your form doesn't mean you understand it, nor does showing me one move you like. Other martial arts books and articles, eastern and western, are organized compendiums of techniques, bad kung fu books and articles are either mostly text, or mostly form, or random moves with no clear plan of presentation, no "these article will show the main strikes, next the main throws, next the main locks," instead its often just a random article out of the void on a random move or two that, the merits of those moves aside, could be done with the pictures alone.

Again, the old texts we see seem to also be compendiums of techniques, but now, technique has been relegated to use as flashy "applications" to impress in some teaching and in published works.

Point being, if I currently own a kung fu book or article, barring historical survey stuff, it is based in technique and usage in the majority of its text, just like all other books on fighting methods seem to for other eastern and western styles. Attacks, counters, throws, all in there somewhere, and, for articles, a focus allowing for useful technical info to be gleened.

Otherwise, the texts tend to be treating the style they discuss as an exotic curiosity, and exoticising something you want to learn is a good way to learn it poorly.

/rant
    Be the change you want to see, bro.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Ask not what CMA can do for you...

...but what you can do for CMA.

As I've said already, I've been getting a lot of submissions this go round due to this. Nevertheless, here are our submission guidelines. When you're ready to try to step up to print, just give me a holla.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I think you overestimate the magazine buying power of the taixuquan community.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

KC Elbows,
    Excellent post!
    I think Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine is a better version of what IKF was at the beginning. IKF started out great but spiraled downward, in my opinion. I was once a subscriber to IKF, but that was two decades ago. Personalities and the latest martial arts fads just don't interest me.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...but what you can do for CMA.

As I've said already, I've been getting a lot of submissions this go round due to this. Nevertheless, here are our submission guidelines. When you're ready to try to step up to print, just give me a holla.
    **** Svengali, you always somehow manage to get that leading carrot in;

don't want to buy magazines?

<<spinny Gene Ching Svengali Eyes>>

but don't you think you could write a good article. I see you don't have a ninja costume, are you aware there's a yearly prize, here, I'll send you the page on www.martialartsmart.com where you can find your costume, yes, yes, you need a ninja costume, but first, you must bring me Lucy Liu!

No Master, not Miss Lucy!

I'll email about what ideas I have for topics.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

I wish it were about beign a Svengali

John Derek and Hugh Hefner, now those are Svengalis. Just imagine the nacho ninjettes if I had that kind of Svengali skillz.

Me, I'm just trying to make a living slinging magazines and martial arts gear. In today's world, that means spamming our forum regularly. Wait, is it spam when we own it? It's like our own private spam diner.

Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;
    ...spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam...
    ...or Lobster Thermidor au Crevette with a Mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.
    Shoot me an email, KC - Gene@KungFuMagazine.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just peeked through IKF magazines latest issue on the newstand I have to say it was terrible. On the other hand the latest issue of Kungfu Taichi has a good article about hung kuen and modern nanquan which I picked up.

IKF's content is horrible
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Thanks for that, Shaolindynasty

I've been looking for the latest IKF but it hasn't appeared on our local newsstands (and our subscription just ran out). From what I've heard (and this is just rumor) it was shut down rather suddenly, so there was no opportunity for Dave Cater to do any sort of sign off. That's too bad.

We're discussing our latest issue here. I'd love to hear your feedback on the Nanquan/Hung Kuen story.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I usually just brief thru the pictures and not really read anything.

but I do collect them in a pile of a year.

when I have time, i would read thru the articles that interest me in a pile of one year at a time.

i just read 2010 year pile.

in nov I like interview with sammo hung.

in dec i like "bruce lives" cover story.

I also like new product column, there is an interesting pu dao---

---

sad to have only a few monthly periodical and not complete for 2011---

in dec 2010

i also like ikf interview with Cheng pei pei

---

many and many articles I like

too sad the monthly is gone for ever.

At a newsstand I thumbed through the latest (last?) issue, the one with Kaimi Kuoha on the cover. The end must have come very quickly, because it listed some of the articles for the 'next' issue. I was originally planning to buy it, since it's the last issue ever, but after browsing the contents I decided not to.

I still have subscription since I paid

---

It took a little doing, but I managed to find what may just be the last issue of IKF.

Thirty years ago, this was the most important magazine in the world to me, closely followed by Black Belt, and all the other rags at the time.

This issue falls far from where Kung Fu Magazine is today.

I don't want to go into an extended review. Suffice to say that there is not much here other than large ads for the Beckett Media line, a few Bruce Lee items, an article on martial arts games, and several offers to "subscribe".

It's a shame that Inside Kung Fu is gone, but some would argue that it died a long time ago.

A toast to icons past and present, to Jane Hallander, Dave Cater, and all the rest of the contributors who informed, educated, and entertained me...

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    I still have subscription since I paid

---

so they arent giving refunds??? fukc it they are going down so why bother maintain any dignity??? im confused by that... have you tried to get money back? or are you just waiting for them to offer??? you should write them and send a self addressed stamped envelope for the cheque they will mail you back...

Wow. Even Dave Cater the editor seems to have disappeared. Sad. The selling of the mag by Wong was an early sign of changes... now it is purely a corporate ad rag.

To add to this yesterday in the mail instead of IKF they sent me a MMA mag. Good grief.Will I subscribe to a
    MMA mag? No way Jose.!!

Joy Chaudhuri