Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside Kung-Fu Magazine

As someone who has been in both magazines, and also who knew Cater in a relative sense (I golfed with him once at a Jeff Bolt event) - it is sort of sad if it is going under....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Which dave cater is the editor in chief!!! By the way I left that out, I guess its leggit it really is done!!

another sad day for kung fu people...

its has not stuck to its roots and other mags have overtaken its position.

It still offered some good articles, and more focus on kung fu than blck belt,!!!!! But hands down KUNG FU MAGAZINE is the best and most leggit!!

I remember that the first two issues featured Ed Parker (cover), Bucksam Kong and Lam Kwong Wing.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

That's just.................

I've subscribed to KungFu Magazine for almost 2 years now. Ready to renew.

I just bought a subscription to Inside Kung Fu because I couldn't find them at the local store anymore.

How much you want to bet I just lost that money?

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Suicide View Post
    I've subscribed to KungFu Magazine for almost 2 years now. Ready to renew.

I just bought a subscription to Inside Kung Fu because I couldn't find them at the local store anymore.

How much you want to bet I just lost that money?
    I'll bet you the cost of a subscription to IKF magazine that you have lost that money.

That's why I found it odd. This announcement is made but if you look at the site you can still purchase subs.

thoughtless and can be perceived as not only negligent, but sleazy.

But then, we are talking about Cater's rag here which was utter shyte compared to how it used to be and thankfully these good folks here picked it up and ran with the tcma magazine that IKF hadn't been providing for years. [/rant]
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The link still goes to Beckett. So I assume Beckett still gets the money, not IKF magazine.

So who is sleazier, Beckett, or the people who run IKF magazine?

Yeah, since I lost my subscription money... 'bet' was probably not the best word to use.

Oh well, I should have just been satisfied with my bi-monthly Kung Fu Magazine. That'll teach me.

IKF is f@cking horrible.

How many times did they put that fool Taboo from Black Eyed Peas on the cover?

Good riddance.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

The magazine is a rag. It's had good info previously but in the past number of years... I got more quality info from UK tabloids.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Have mixed feelings, I've been in both magazines, and I knew Cater a bit (played golf with him and Tai Chi teacher Henry Lok) - but the magazine appealed to the lowest and catered to BS and controversy

Like youknowwho said, Cater would try to drag you into bs, I know he published articles and letters just to annoy established teachers, who he wanted to get a reaction out of
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I had stopped buying IKF some time ago. I remember when it was a really good publication (1970s to mid-1980s). If I remember correctly, IKF began around 1974 and ran until '77 or '78, suspended publication for a year or so, then returned in 1979.

I also have mixed feelings about this. If it was like the "old days," I would be sad about it. But as it is, maybe it's better off put to sleep.

About ten years ago, I wrote and sent in an article for IKF's news section when my Mantis teacher in Taiwan passed away, along with a photo of him. Dave Cater called me and confirmed they'd be publishing it. I had included a self-addressed stamped envelope with the article and asked him to send the photo back when he was done with it. He said he would. They published the article w/the photo, but I never got that photo back.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Dave Cater was my reason for my exodus from IKF. He destroyed it with controversy.

I began missing the early years of IKF a long time ago. I remember walking over 2 miles to find an IKF magazine in 1983. That was how much I loved it.

I do not miss what it has become.

The only decent thing they can do now is put it all on cd-rom.

Good Riddance,

mickey
    I also remember back in the day walking about 2 miles (each way) in the late '70s/early-mid '80 to buy IKF each month. I used to look forward to it. In recent years, I've been hard-pressed to even pick it up to browse it whenever I see it on the newsstand/bookstore. I still buy Kung Fu Magazine, though.

Jimbo,

You should still try to get that photo back.

mickey

good articles

from good writers to good readers

--

I hope that they compile all issues and published in a dvd format or PDF files

searchable

we have come a long way from paper printing to digital file on a disk

---

or set up an online library

membership to search articles on line etc

--