Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside Kung-Fu Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Suicide View Post
    I've subscribed to KungFu Magazine for almost 2 years now. Ready to renew.

I just bought a subscription to Inside Kung Fu because I couldn't find them at the local store anymore.

How much you want to bet I just lost that money?
    Yeah I hear you dude I just got my first issue from my subscibtion two dsys ago, idk if we list our money but I will definatey check into it!!!

24.95 On the 22nd of December. Bad timing!

Iskf magazine

Sad to hear this.

The recession is hurting everyone. Will 2011 be better ? Let's hope K/F magazine and BB continue on, they both have a better chance with everyone's support.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Suicide View Post
    24.95 On the 22nd of December. Bad timing!
    Yeah no joke, I should have just doubled up on my kfm subscription!!! Something else that kinda eeved me a bit was how long it took to get my ikf first issue ( bout 8 weeks) and my t- shirt and first issue with kfm in a matter of about a week!!! Better magazine and customer service hands down goes to kfm"!!"

I'm quite shocked but can understand how they're losing the 'roots' battle out there in the big wide world. I have bought most magazines since I was a kid and saw IKF become 'confused'. When you see rope tug of war and arm bars in the first 5 pages you know something just aint right.

Does this mean that the final edition is 'Jay Chou becomes Kato' coz that's just strange. Wasn't Bruce on the cover of the first issue?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Looks like Shane Lacey will have the final cover

I appreciate all the support you all have given for Kung Fu Tai Chi (and hope you're all subscribed ).

I'm actually just dropping in now because I had jury duty this morning. I've been busy trying to make this deadline and haven't really had the opportunity to process this fully yet. I am saddened to see a pioneering institution like IKF conclude. I wrote for IKF back when I was freelance, even did a cover story for them. And as a publisher myself, it's another magazine for the Print publishing death watch. At the same time, I'm very curious to see the impact on our magazine, as obviously, it's my job here. So my feelings are very mixed. I'm sure I'll have some deeper reflections upon this topic later, but right now, I'm headed out to a screener of Green Hornet now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    Many years ago, I subscribed a CMA magazine 新武俠(Xin Wu Xia) from Hong Kong. In that magazine, there was a section called "三招了(San Zhao Liao) - 3 moves combo". In each issue, there would be 4 different styles to demonstrate their 3 moves combo. excellent information but I can't see that kind of material in any other magazines.

IMO, the reason that people subscribe a magazine is to obtain useful combat information, and not just want to know how great a certain CMA master was, or what movie a certain star is going to make.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-13-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    IKF is f@cking horrible.

How many times did they put that fool Taboo from Black Eyed Peas on the cover?

Good riddance.
    really? why? can he fight?

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I appreciate all the support you all have given for Kung Fu Tai Chi (and hope you're all subscribed ).

I'm actually just dropping in now because I had jury duty this morning. I've been busy trying to make this deadline and haven't really had the opportunity to process this fully yet. I am saddened to see a pioneering institution like IKF conclude. I wrote for IKF back when I was freelance, even did a cover story for them. And as a publisher myself, it's another magazine for the Print publishing death watch. At the same time, I'm very curious to see the impact on our magazine, as obviously, it's my job here. So my feelings are very mixed. I'm sure I'll have some deeper reflections upon this topic later, but right now, I'm headed out to a screener of Green Hornet now.
    Good words Gene,

When ISKF quit the letter section , readers could not give their opinions of the content they were reading, that's not good.

They did some great work, and, it is sad in many ways to see anyone in their position go out of business.

Lets all support Tiger/Claw and their fine work.

Best to U

Ron
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Wasn't Bruce on the cover of the first issue?
    If I recall correctly, the first issue had David Carradine on the front cover. Afterall it was the heyday of the "Kung Fu" series.

Youknowwho said:
    "Many years ago, I subscribed a CMA magazine 新武俠(Xin Wu Xia) from Hong Kong. In that magazine, there was a section called "三招了(San Zhao Liao) - 3 moves combo". In each issue, there would be 4 different styles to demonstrate their 3 moves combo. excellent information but I can't see that kind of material in any other magazines."

John, Inside Kung Fu in the 80s used to have a section where various syles demonstrated how they would defend against a certain type of attack. It was very interesting and helped a person to understand the differences between the different systems of Kung Fu.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Kung fu is now becoming the karate of the 70's and 80's...

MMA mags are all over the place and the quality is high....

How many people subscribe to Kung Fu mag. More mags will follow IKF unless people wake up..

Focus on Chinese Martial arts with high quality, good depth of knowledge and professional writing is the only way to go.

Paul

It isn't that the magazine was about Chinese martial arts, it was that the content had become dog crap

Clearly fake people doing clearly fake stuff, too much hollywood/actors/wannabe actors, articles about absurd stuff no one cared about, lame attempts at cheese cake (ok, she's cute, yeah, she did karate one semester at the YMCA in highschool so let's put her in a martial arts mag)

The MMA mags are not much better actually
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

mma rags are mostly garbage.

aimed at 16 year old armchair fans for the most part spending a lot of time on mma personalities and very little time on training and fighting techniques which should be the bulk of any martial arts publication.

I would definitely like to see less about the legend of someone who lived in chinatown in the 70's and more about style centric information.

I don't care much about old men and what they did. lol That's too contextual for me.

Methods! Lot's of em! That's good ma reading!

Less story telling, more information spreading.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    more information spreading.
    Agree! If I can't learn anything from a MA magazine, it will be waste of money and time for me. I would like to see the following subjects in any MA magazine:

How to:

- enter safely.
    - finish effectively.
    - develop combat strategies.
    - counter a certain attack.
    - counter those counters.
    - train combos.
    - train solo at home.
    - develop, maintain, and enhance a certain skill.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-14-2011 at 11:34 AM.

John, Inside Kung Fu in the 80s used to have a section where various syles demonstrated how they would defend against a certain type of attack. It was very interesting and helped a person to understand the differences between the different systems of Kung Fu.
    I remember those and they used to have top level guys too, guys like Randy Williams, Tak Kubota, all of the name guys from that era.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !