Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside Kung-Fu Magazine

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I heard that Lady GaGa is studying Mi Tsung......
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by YMAA_com View Post
    Inside Kung Fu magazine last issue is coming Feb 2011. Out of business forever.

Focusing on their Mixed Martial Arts audience instead.

DS
    they own ultimate grappling mag which is now ultimate mma, yeah???

i like that mag...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I often wonder if we would have put Taboo on the cover, if I had the chance. We put Lou Reed on our cover. That issue did well for us. We still get an occasional fan requesting the back issue.

I would have put Fergie on the cover in a heartbeat. I still would. Fergie, call me.
    what does taboo do??? i havent seen any info on his MA skills... whuttup???

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    no, no, that was "my tongue".
    It's an easy mistake to make though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Agree! If I can't learn anything from a MA magazine, it will be waste of money and time for me. I would like to see the following subjects in any MA magazine:

How to:

- enter safely.
    - finish effectively.
    - develop combat strategies.
    - counter a certain attack.
    - counter those counters.
    - train combos.
    - train solo at home.
    - develop, maintain, and enhance a certain skill.
    Why don't you do an article on just that subject?

It's not my area of expertise, to be honest.

But anyone who wants to write for us is welcome to step up to the plate. Here's our submission guidelines. On a related note, I've already been contacted by a few former IKF writers. Still no word from Taboo or Fergie...or Lady Gaga for that matter.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Sanshou/ Kuo Shou

Gene,
    I for one wold like to see much more San Shou and Kuo Shou coverage in KFM, especially those who cross over into MMA.

Just looked at the E-zine titles, and had to go back 3 pages till I found one Cung Lee article.

If the MMA magz are selling like hotcakes, you could easily compete with them, and draw in some of thier readers with focus corners on Ross's gym, and others who are heavy into Kuo shou. This is especially if you can highlight Kung Fu fighters who have MMA wins.

It could be a big thing for you.

With IKF gone, you personally are the Icon now. There is no one else.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 01-21-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Why don't you do an article on just that subject?
    That's my personal interest and I would like to hear others opinions.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-21-2011 at 05:20 PM.

We can't compete with MMA

Don't you people learn anything from this forum?

Seriously though, the MMA arena isn't really our demographic. We'll cover it now and again, but there's no way Kung Fu Tai Chi can really enter that market unless there's a significant amount of kung fu champions to emerge in the ring. It's different advertisers, different readers, different reporters - a different demographic entirely.

I'm going to an MMA fight next weekend. When I go to these, I hang with the rest of the press, which is predominantly MMA bloggers and reporters. So I know many in that industry and it's just a different ball game entirely. For us, it would be a total mistake to go too deeply into MMA. We'd forsake our readership, our freelancers, and our mission, and be up against some serious competition on the newsstands. It'd be like a taiji master jumping in the cage - total suicide. Imagine that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Don't you people learn anything from this forum?

Seriously though, the MMA arena isn't really our demographic. We'll cover it now and again, but there's no way Kung Fu Tai Chi can really enter that market unless there's a significant amount of kung fu champions to emerge in the ring. It's different advertisers, different readers, different reporters - a different demographic entirely.

I'm going to an MMA fight next weekend. When I go to these, I hang with the rest of the press, which is predominantly MMA bloggers and reporters. So I know many in that industry and it's just a different ball game entirely. For us, it would be a total mistake to go too deeply into MMA. We'd forsake our readership, our freelancers, and our mission, and be up against some serious competition on the newsstands. It'd be like a taiji master jumping in the cage - total suicide. Imagine that.
    The point is to cover more traditional fighters in Kuo Shou and Sanda/San Shao as well as traditional fighters who enter MMA.

Don't cover MMA per say, cover Chinese martial artist and thier fights in MMA as well as our regular venues. It can even be a low level amature fighter winning in a recent local competition. Heck, just cover any results.

I feel ya, RD

To be frank, there isn't that much to cover. The sanshou guys don't send us reports (and when they do, it's often pretty weak reporting). I cover what I can personally. There's an article on Cung in our upcoming issue. We've covered Wulin Feng and Sandawang in China, but sadly, sanshou is on the decline.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tell Ross he'd better start making with the reporting or ur gonna bann his ass!

throw a blurb in there if uki beats that guy who just opened a mma gym down the road from him.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Um, yeah, sorry but that was a misprint. She's a student of mine, studying Mai Hung Dong. And yeah, she studies HARD. REAL hard!
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

the spirits of passing on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5aRF...eature=related

liang zhu violin notes in this clip

it was first performed in 1957. the young girl learned and passed on.

kung fu still lives and passes on

---