Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside Kung-Fu Magazine

In the wake...

So a few more freelance authors have contacted me. What's interesting is that several have made a point to mention in their queries that their proposed article is controversial. Now, I'm never one to shy away from controversy - remember my main field of research is Shaolin - but it has been striking me as funny for a pitch as controversy is not really as marketable as people seem to think. Maybe that's just us, just our readership, but when things get controversial as in flame war feuds, we tend to lose more readers than gain them. It's one more reason why we have this forum - it channels all that energy into something more viral. And it's all about viral popularity.

Also, I thank everyone who has suggested strategies for the continuation of Kung Fu Tai Chi. I've received several PMs and emails from concerned individuals, and that's rather touching. Most have been good, although my favorite was the suggestion that we launch a MMORPG to stimulate readership (if we had the capability to launch a good MMORPG, we'd just do that and abandon the magazine - there's more money in MMORPGs).

Several have also commended me for not 'crowing' about IKF's end. In truth, it's not like that at all. I don't consider this any sort of victory. Being a publisher for over a decade, I face the same challenges IKF did, and even though we were competitors, their folding had little to do with us. It's like we were both running a race across the African veldt, and one of us got eaten by a lion. That's not really a victory in the classic sense. And who knows? Tomorrow that lion might eat us.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Maybe this will help with the lions....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

What the heck?

Who's job is it to collect that? Suddenly my job doesn't look so bad.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

wait, are you trashing my job man?!?!?

i work hard to get that lion urine!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    wait, are you trashing my job man?!?!?

i work hard to get that lion urine!
    so how do you get the lion to p1ss in the bottle??? must be the kung fu skills huh...

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    OMG lol where the heck did you get that image??? Too funny.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Kudos to Lucas for such a brutal threadjack

Lucas, you've opened up a whole new world for us.

Predator Urine

Plus details on how it's collected.

No disrespect to IKF here, mind you. It's just you got to bow down to a good threadjack. It shows great forum fu.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Who's job is it to collect that? Suddenly my job doesn't look so bad.
    so do you think you'll get more independant submissions now??? have many contacted you over employement??? is there any way to make their negative into a positive for kfm???

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Lucas, you've opened up a whole new world for us.

Predator Urine

Plus details on how it's collected.

No disrespect to IKF here, mind you. It's just you got to bow down to a good threadjack. It shows great forum fu.
    thread jacking is a tradition we hold close to our hearts...

Ima let teh cat outta the bag.

that Urine is mine.

But it got the femme lion's so *****, they now purchase my golden dew and market it!

thank you very much!

and now, back to the death of print publishing brought to you by Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

lol too funny. sorry for the threadjack Gene heh....ok we all know im lying..

those links you provided are freaking aweeeesooommmee

back to the regularly scheduled print death watch.

P.S. thanks for the dedication to the cause DJ

Honestly Gene, and this may sound like sucking up, but your magazine is what IKF started off being and/or was supposed to be... and you were putting Chinese characters in the type when Cater was giving us dirty looks for even asking about them. I really hope your magazine continues and I guess I should do some articles again for you...
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

@ Syn7 & lkfmdc

@ Syn7
    We're already getting more submissions. We've always had a decent number of submissions. It's getting those good submissions. No one has contacted us about employment and I don't expect that to happen. Besides, we're not hiring at the moment. And certainly we're trying to capitalize on their demise, without appearing too vulture-like, of course. It's a difficult market so any advantage must be capitalized upon.

@ lkfmdc
    Chinese characters accepted here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

wait until you see my monkey kung fu article
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

why oh why?

I just got this horrid mental image of lkfmdc shouting "Touch my monkey! TOUCH IT!!"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips