Thread: Passing of Master Steven Abbate

Threaded View

Passing of Master Steven Abbate

From Johnny Tsai's website

Grand Master Steven G. Abbate

Tsai's Kung Fu International is deeply sorry to announce the passing of Grand Master Steven G. Abbate on August 19, 2007.
    Click here to read his bio

A Wake will be held on Friday 08/25/07 from 4-8pm at:

Meadows Funeral Home
    3615 Kirchoff Road
    Rolling Meadows, Illinois 60008
    847-253-0224

http://www.tsaiskungfu.net/news/

Back before everyone here knew me as Royal Dragon, Master Abbate and Rock Lombardo used to have a school across the street from the apartment I lived in, in River Grove, so naturally it was not long before I was taking lessons from him. Soon after I found myself in the middle of a divorce so i was not able to continue, but he left a big impression on me.

I was there for about 9 months or so and got in shape really fast. I have some of my fondest Kung Fu Memories from that time.

The school office was inviting, and set up like a living room complete with a couch, coffee table and big screen TV. There were allways photos everywhere of students, family at major events, parties and gatherings. I decided a long time ago that if I ever got a school, I would build it out with the same theme.

Training was hard as hell, and some of the toughest workouts I have ever done in my life, but after, the atmosphere was like being over at a friends house to hang out.

I was out of work for a while during my time there, and used to go to the 11:00 AM class during the weekdays...which was heavily populated by Elmwood Pk and River Grove police officers. That was the first time I ever saw someone get launched over head with a throw, and land on a hard wood floor with no mats, or body protection of any kind. For someone with only a few years experience then, it was an awe inspiring site. Another impressive site was the fact that Master Abbate and Master Rocky would fill the small heavy bag with concrete...and pound it to dust....just for fun. Unfortunetly, I missed the demo's where be broke baseball bats with his shins. I heard about it plenty though.

R.I.P

RD
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 08-26-2007 at 12:17 PM.