Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: You will never look at a cup of coffee the same way again...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Commerce City, Colorado
    Posts
    2,823

    You will never look at a cup of coffee the same way again...

    A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose. Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil, without saying a word.

    In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, “Tell me what you see.”

    “Carrots, eggs, and coffee,” the daughter replied.

    The mother brought her daughter closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg. Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma.

    The daughter then asked, “What does it mean, mother?”

    The mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity - boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

    “Which are you?” she asked her daughter. “When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?”

    Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength? Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart? Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Steelers' Country
    Posts
    3,502
    I Am Lemonade
    Last edited by bodhitree; 08-27-2007 at 09:48 AM.
    What's the point

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Commerce City, Colorado
    Posts
    2,823
    Are you saying you are bitter, yellow, and in need of huge amounts of sweetening to be paletable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Steelers' Country
    Posts
    3,502
    when life throws you coffee you make lemonade
    What's the point

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    36th Chamber
    Posts
    12,419
    I'm the boiling water, biatches.

  6. #6
    Your lemonaid is Pink, and Fake!!

    Only *I* have the real, original traditional authentic Lemonaid (Made with real lemons, restrictions and conditions apply)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outer Beringia
    Posts
    892

    Carrots, eggs and coffee.

    What if it's a thousand-year egg?

    I know this speaks to a totally different purpose, but since we're talking metaphorically, here's one from White Crane sifu Quentin Fong regarding the difference between "internal" and "external" training.

    Some gung fu practitioners are like eggs: hard on the outside and soft on the inside. Some are like preserved eggs: the shell is soft but the inside is tough. The goal of both is to become a stone egg.

    I keep an alabaster egg to remind me of this.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened.
    Sometimes a carrot isn't a carrot ?
    Freud is doing taiji right now

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Commerce City, Colorado
    Posts
    2,823

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    What if it's a thousand-year egg?

    I know this speaks to a totally different purpose, but since we're talking metaphorically, here's one from White Crane sifu Quentin Fong regarding the difference between "internal" and "external" training.

    Some gung fu practitioners are like eggs: hard on the outside and soft on the inside. Some are like preserved eggs: the shell is soft but the inside is tough. The goal of both is to become a stone egg.

    I keep an alabaster egg to remind me of this.
    Oooooo... I like that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    What if it's a thousand-year egg?

    I know this speaks to a totally different purpose, but since we're talking metaphorically, here's one from White Crane sifu Quentin Fong regarding the difference between "internal" and "external" training.

    Some gung fu practitioners are like eggs: hard on the outside and soft on the inside. Some are like preserved eggs: the shell is soft but the inside is tough. The goal of both is to become a stone egg.

    I keep an alabaster egg to remind me of this.
    My kung fu sifu used to say they were like omelets, I just assumed he was hungry and got confused.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,099
    although the beans remained unchanged, this was in shape only and though they had changed the water, they had all the value of themselves taken out of them in the doing.

    so before anyone goes changing the water like the coffee beans, make sure youa re capable of assessing the risk of that. IE: your life is forfeit.

    Just ask Ghandi...or Dr. King... or...well anyone who put too much effort into changing the world.

    and the egg, well, who would want to harden themselves against the rest? That's unsociable and hard boiled eggs are not greatly desired. except perhaps by someone looking for a quick meal or ingredients to something better!

    Better to be the carrot. Softened, weakened, but still a carrot.

    Kung Fu is good for you.

  12. #12
    I KILLED A MAN WITH A TRIDENT


    i love lamp
    there are only masters where there are slaves

    www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu



    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

  13. #13
    wait no

    i am a corgette

    water or not i still give ladies pleasure through out the world
    there are only masters where there are slaves

    www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu



    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    6,190
    I'm the guy who writes cryptic, metaphorical, apocryphal stories about carrots, eggs and coffee.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

    "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

    "Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

    "A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    23,099
    No you're not.

    That guy was humping the old lady.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •