Thread: Bak Mei???

Bak Mei???

Zhong Luo Sifu and Kwong Man Fong Sifu both are bak mei instructors, however there are diffs in each of their Sub jee form. Is there any reason? Like are there other branches of Bak mei? Just curious
    What about Eddie Chong....legit? And has anyone seen his DVDs? Are they good?Quite pricy.
    Thank you for tolerating my ignorance I'm interested in the southern arts
    LCP

Quote Originally Posted by LingChuanPai View Post
    Zhong Luo Sifu and Kwong Man Fong Sifu both are bak mei instructors, however there are diffs in each of their Sub jee form. Is there any reason? Like are there other branches of Bak mei? Just curious
    What about Eddie Chong....legit? And has anyone seen his DVDs? Are they good?Quite pricy.
    Thank you for tolerating my ignorance I'm interested in the southern arts
    LCP
    Most arts are expressed differently based on the person doing the form. I am not sure of the relationship between the two Bak Mei people you mentioned. I beleive Kwong Man Fong does a version of CLC Bak Mei, which is a more commonly known version. Zhong Luo performs a Bak Mei from Fatsun and I believe has slightly different history. This may account for the differences. I am not a Bak Mei practioner so I can't comment more than this little bit of info I have.

As for Eddie Chong, his Bak Mei is legit. By that I mean he didn't make it up. He too learned a Fatsun version of Bak Mei. I don't know much about Bak Mei so again, I can't comment on the value of it. Many people try to tear people down without any direct experience. Chong sifu, and others, has been victim to this criticism. My belief is Chong sifu's skills are quite good in general. I can't comment on the specifics as compared to other Bak Mei people.

thank you for your help

Talking

From what I know(which isn't much) Eddie Chong sifu (Lau Long Jian) and Zhong Luo's sifu ("Mai Yu" Qiang Luo) were taught by the same teacher(Lau Siu Leung). Each is different in it's own way but the core is pretty much the same. Luo's version has more of a Dragon Boxing flavor to it while Chong's is more like a Hakka Taijiquan/Wing Chun. Both are great in thier own right.
    I think that you should read up on the subject and speak to more practioners of the different flavors of the style to see which is best for you.

I hope this helps.

WF

Quote Originally Posted by ittokaos View Post
    From what I know(which isn't much) Eddie Chong sifu (Lau Long Jian) and Zhong Luo's sifu ("Mai Yu" Qiang Luo) were taught by the same teacher(Lau Siu Leung). Each is different in it's own way but the core is pretty much the same. Luo's version has more of a Dragon Boxing flavor to it while Chong's is more like a Hakka Taijiquan/Wing Chun. Both are great in thier own right.
    I think that you should read up on the subject and speak to more practioners of the different flavors of the style to see which is best for you.

I hope this helps.

WF
    Just to add, Luo sifu's background is in Lung Ying and Bak Mei, so it makes sense to see a Lung Ying (dragon) flavor in it. I believe him and his father specialized in one of the two arts and are quite proficient in the other, as many Bak Mei people seem to be. Chong Sifu has had a long career in two different wing chun families and studies the Bak Mei with out the Lung Ying as far as I know. So again, this might account for some differences.

I can't comment on how either's art is portrayed, but from what I have seen from very short demo's is that Luo sifu's style seems to be fast and powerful. Chong sifu's seems to be a relaxed power that is not as dependent on speed. Of course this is based on limited exposure so I don't know how accurate that really is.