Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Good Answer???

I don't get why they'd use movie stills on that rotating banner. It doesn't flow that well with the other pictures, but at least there's only 2 stills.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    why don't TCMA guys compete in MMA type events?
    they don't?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj-fbabMoDk

a lil bjj can take your kung fu a long way
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    they don't?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj-fbabMoDk

a lil bjj can take your kung fu a long way
    take out the school in the background, and what would make this guy distinctly "CMA" as opposed to every other MMA person on the planet? He's doing conditioning, pad work, wrestling, BJJ.

According to a TON of people on here, he isn't fighting with his kung fu, is he?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

If you are not in a horse stance, using phoneix eye, and wearing shiny pajamas, it is not really Kung Fu. I cannot believe all the silly people advocating pad work, hard sparring, conditioning, and wrestling. These are not the elements of Kung Fu. And what is all this hype about BJJ. People who are always on their backs, pfff,
    you guys have guard, we have lotus position, you make the choice.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

i dunno, i wouldn't say his hand combinations or his shadow are exactly typical of boxing- nor his pad work. Footworks pretty flat footed from what I saw.
    He doesn't put enough of his hips in his kicks to really be stereotypical thai.

bak mei and dragon are short hand arts anyway, so i don't think the transition to gloves looks as drastic for them.

i mean, i know where you're coming from and i guess i can see both sides.
    i also still remember the info you gave out on gate theory in your san da, so I consider you part of that movement as well.

learning how to use your stuff will having you doing certain things boxing, muay thai, and mma guys do. on the other hand, it should have its own flavor. i can honestly say at some of the schools i trained at that there was no indigenous flavor, it was all american kickboxing, watered down for continuous rules.

knowing boxing and muay thai, i can see how that guy's stuff (and your's) is slightly different. i enjoy seeing that flavor, but i'm not expecting to see some shaw brothers stuff; with someone attacking the other guy's feet or adopting pointless poses.

one of the reasons i love that dave lacey set of youtube clips so much is you've got these lin wan charp (think sitting on a jab to the body), sow choy - front kick, and roundhouse kick - sow choy combos that show up in the forms, in the apps, on the bag work, and (lo-and-behold) they show up in the fighting.

I think if a boxer sits back and says "that's just flailing" then you're doing something right.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

i dunno, i wouldn't say his hand combinations or his shadow are exactly typical of boxing- nor his pad work. Footworks pretty flat footed from what I saw.
    his pad work (in the clip) was cross/hook/cross, very typical power boxing

yeah, his footwork was flat, I'd actually say it is something he needs to work on

He doesn't put enough of his hips in his kicks to really be stereotypical thai.
    again, see above, if he were my fighter, we'd be working on getting his power into his kicks

i mean, i know where you're coming from
    I know you do

learning how to use your stuff will having you doing certain things boxing, muay thai, and mma guys do.
    you do realize there are TONS of people on here who would (and are) disagree (ing)

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

you do realize there are TONS of people on here who would (and are) disagree (ing)

IMO these are exactly the people that should stay out of it.

i come from the vantage point that in martial arts there is one ultimate goal.

to be able to drop an opponent.

anything that can lend you more power to do that is NOT something you should turn your back on.

to me, cma guys that are taking a modern approach to things, mixing it up, adding material that works from external sources....well these guys are the real 'kungfu guys'

these are the guys that live the essence of kungfu.

if you went to shaolin 700 years ago (or any real fighters) or when ever, and you showed them some BJJ and tapped several of the monks out, do you think they would turn you away? tell you your material wasnt good enough for kungfu? or would we be seeing shaolin monks rolling today?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    IMO these are exactly the people that should stay out of it.

i come from the vantage point that in martial arts there is one ultimate goal.

to be able to drop an opponent.

anything that can lend you more power to do that is NOT something you should turn your back on.

to me, cma guys that are taking a modern approach to things, mixing it up, adding material that works from external sources....well these guys are the real 'kungfu guys'

these are the guys that live the essence of kungfu.

if you went to shaolin 700 years ago (or any real fighters) or when ever, and you showed them some BJJ and tapped several of the monks out, do you think they would turn you away? tell you your material wasnt good enough for kungfu? or would we be seeing shaolin monks rolling today?
    blasphemy!

you will now be promptly ignored by Fu Pow

blasphemy!

you will now be promptly ignored by Fu Pow
    rofl

what ever 'kungfu guy'

his pad work (in the clip) was cross/hook/cross, very typical power boxing
    yeah, but his cross is UGLY weird. lol
    combo i was originally talking about was 6:03, double hook - cross - uppercut.

Watching it again, he was much better at putting his hip into his round kicks during the actual fights.

One of the combos he went to the well with in those fights was low round house - hook - straight, which i've only seen in san shou, not in any thai gyms.

that punching he does from like 4:50 to 5 doesn't look boxing to me- maybe mma. thought it was pretty consistent with bak mei's theory of overwhelming.

hahah at 5:13 he does gwa-sow-charp haha nice
    few seconds before that, he follows up spinning backfist with a straight- another thing i don't see in a lot of thai gyms.

Not sure I've ever thrown a knee in a combo in thai without initiating a clinch beforehand either, so that's something a little "atypical".

two guys sparring during the padwork of 6:55 are definitely doin kung fu with that hook-backfist combo. then again, i'm not one of those guys who thinks non-spinning backfists and hammer fists are useless. pankration back in the day loved the hammerfist and if backfists were totally useless in boxing they wouldn't get you a warning or a possible dq. it was more of a padding coverage issue than anything else.

i know it's not like any of the rest of these things really breaks any rules in the other sports, you just don't see it that often. I like the added flavor.

Some more candy...

some more food for thought

I kinda like this guy's training mentality.
    i would argue that his forms practice actually helps his balance & posture- i mean look at him when he secures mount, he actually transitions into some horse stance looking thing to maintain position:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhT7C2TlVs8

also
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBC_AHWujys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpJfIIuZ-uE
    http://www.youtube.com/user/drunkenunicorn

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    why don't TCMA guys compete in MMA type events?

For me, the techniques that are representative of my fighting style are considered illegal. Low sweeps (both legs), elbows, throws; knees to a downed opponent.

those are all "legal" moves in an mma fight.

some more food for thought

I kinda like this guy's training mentality.
    i would argue that his forms practice actually helps his balance & posture- i mean look at him when he secures mount, he actually transitions into some horse stance looking thing to maintain position:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhT7C2TlVs8

also
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBC_AHWujys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpJfIIuZ-uE
    http://www.youtube.com/user/drunkenunicorn

Nice quote at the end...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    For me, the techniques that are representative of my fighting style are considered illegal. Low sweeps (both legs), elbows, throws; knees to a downed opponent.
    so you're saying, you only have those four techniques? Take them out and you have nothing?
    C'MON!