Thread: rolled for the first time last night...

rolled for the first time last night...

Yeah... So I submitted him twice (once when i got his back, and once in what i think was called a "key lock"), and he got me like 3 or 4 times. He kept on putting me in head locks, every single time we hit the ground he would try it, my face started to look like a tomato. He said he had a year of experience (this was not BJJ class. I am still looking for a good one), so i think i did pretty good all in all...

Anyway, after class i found i was super light headed, and couldn't stand up very well. i sluffed it off and strutted down to the bus. while i was riding first i got this enourmous insane headache (felt like my head was going to explode), then i got cold sweats, and a fever, accompanied by extreme wooziness. there were no seats so i was standing and i kept leaning back, practically falling on this asian woman behind me. i had to run off of the bus after a few minutes and throw up in a garbage can. it took me about 30 minutes before i could see straight let alone walk...

This normal at all? How long does it take to build up tolerance to all the blood in the face or whatever caused this?

btw, other than it almost being the worst night of my life, it was fun^_^

It probably wasn't the chokes that got you, but your own tension and lack of breath control. Once you learn to relax and control your breathing on the ground, you'll be fine.

I used to feel the same way after every class when I first started. It took about 3 or 4 weeks before I started getting used to it, but it was probably a few months until I really learned to relax.

yeah same here. it takes a while. i would also suggest you try those electrolyte gel things. my wife had a whole bunch from training for triathlons and all you do is mix it in your water bottle. so when you get a water break you can replace some of energy/electrolytes. i remember the first time i used them. i was skeptical at first but i did notice a difference. it helped me to train harder. they are pretty cheap and they usually sell them at the checkout of sports authority or d!cks sporting goods. hope that helps.

thanks. making notes here. gonna check out a bjj school tonight. if i have to roll again, i'm not making the same mistakes. that was pretty brutal...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    It probably wasn't the chokes that got you, but your own tension and lack of breath control. Once you learn to relax and control your breathing on the ground, you'll be fine.

I used to feel the same way after every class when I first started. It took about 3 or 4 weeks before I started getting used to it, but it was probably a few months until I really learned to relax.
    Are these your breathing and relaxation exercises?

FP

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    Are these your breathing and relaxation exercises?

FP
    Not individual exercises, like chi gungs. On the ground, especially when you are just rolling and not working any standup, you may be there 6 or 7 minutes before someone can set up a submission.

So, you have learn to relax, control your breathing, and conserve your energy while you are wrestling.

A skilled grappler that is fresh is next to impossible to tap. You have to get them tired enough to make a mistake.

"rolled for the first time last night..."

Congratulations- you're officially g a y.

Seriously, watch out- it's a complex game that can get really addicting. Welcome to the world of MMA.

-The B

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    "rolled for the first time last night..."

Congratulations- you're officially g a y.

-The B
    http://www.lan-slam.com/misc/jj_gay.jpg

I remember the first time I rolled, it was a special blend, good papers too, not the cheap crap, it was on the beach at sunset...that was some good s**t.

at sanjuro ronin.

I get headaches sometimes after rolling, though I tend to have pretty good breath control (I attribute a lot of that to my IMA). I've found chugging a 32 oz. powerade usually floods me with the electrolytes I'm craving. Guinness helps, too.

Brian
    "I will annihilate you using a combination of martial taiji, bagua, and krav maga. Now grab my arm with one hand on my wrist and the other one on my elbow... it has to be right on the elbow or it won't work." -Dale Gribble

i've done the power ade/gatorade thing a couple of times. it tends to get rid of my head aches but for whatever reason i always get really nauseous when i drink the stuff.

If you submitted a guy who had a year of experience on your first night then one of two things are happening here.

1. You are BJ Penn.

or

2. that guy doesn't have a year experience.

A guy with a year of experience should be schooling you up and down the street. Every move you perform he should have at least three counter moves in response.

Maybe find a different school.

But keep at it. The throwing up passes with time.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/