Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Expertise

Both interpretations work.

Hmmm

So here's Becca, on this thread, a few days ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Nope, that only works if you are a TCMAer who drops kung fu as anything but a punch line. I thought this sounded like a good point. So I went out and found a very good, successful submission wrestler/coach to train under. I found nothing to support the claim that kung fu, when taught by a very skilled teacher, cannot hold it's own with so called "pure" MMaers. Now the suspision is that I'm either trolling or my coach sucks.
    And here's Becca, a couple of weeks ago, trying to educate me on how to learn to defend the takedown:

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Yep. There's an MMA group here in Commerce City I used to roll with. Almost all of them have a large take down repertoire. Then I was challenged to go find a "true grappler" and try my stuff. That's when I found out what a good grappler was actually like.

Submission grappling ain't like that stuff you see or did in high school. Those guys are like surgons; within a few minutes of rolling with you they will pin point your weak spot and use it to get you to the ground. You will never truelly get good at defending them because they don't just look for a take down. They have absolutly no problem suckering you into doing what they need you to do to get you into a bad spot. You want to be able to defend agains them? You gotta get at least a bit of familiarization with what they are looking for from their perspective.

You don't have to become a grappler; I wasn't looking to become a grappler. I was looking to learn what a grappler looks for. I assumed he'd want to see me roll first them start working with me on what was week about my defence. He didn't; he asked me how my takedowns were, which I was good at and which I wasn't. How were my sprawls? How good was I at moving around on the mat off my feet? It took him about 30 seconds to figure out I was one of those traditionalists looking for the maigic bullet.

It took me about 1 minute of working with him to realize that there isn't one. A good grappler can use any portion of your body, every ripple of momentum comming from your body, to make you do what he/she needs you to do for them to get you to the ground. There's just no way to get better than mediocre at defending a take down untill you understand why they are trying to manuver you. You need to see the take down from their perspective to really get it, or sooner or later, you are going to end up on your belly, tangled in a not that would make a sailor proud. And have no idea how you got there.
    Is it just me...?
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist

Quote Originally Posted by DPL View Post
    So here's Becca, on this thread, a few days ago:

And here's Becca, a couple of weeks ago, trying to educate me on how to learn to defend the takedown:

Is it just me...?
    No, it's not just you. Before that, she was claiming that she coudn't be taken down at all. In addition to that, she thinks submission grapplers are the ones with the fantastic takedowns. Basically, she is just pulling stuff out of her a$$ and doesn't have clue about any of it.

The funny thing is that the MMAers that post here seem to think themselves more than qualified to comment on kung fu but a kung fu person is not allowed to make comments on MMA.

What a bunch of BS.
    Actually, I don't feel qualified to comment on Kung Fu, per se. I would never in my life dream of telling you how to do your forms.

I do feel qualified to comment on what works and what doesn't, as I have over 12 years of experience in trying to get non-compliant people to do what *I* want - especially if it concerns grappling. When someone spouts bull****, I'll call them on it.

Unfortunately for many CMA types, bull**** springs forth in a veritable torrent quite often.

At the end of the day, I don't have a problem with people training what they train it; I have a problem with misrepresentation and delusion - ie, "I train for the street, for a no rules situation!"

Ummm.... no you don't. All training has rules. Ergo, you can't be training for a no rules situation. It's all simulations, where we do the best we can. There is a reason, for instance, that veteran units are highly prized...

Similarly, I do a sport. I suffer no illusions as to what that gives me: a useable skill set in case of emergency. It does NOT turn me into a fighter, or a bodyguard or a self defense expert, any more than being an expert marksman turns a person into the ideal soldier.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    Actually, I don't feel qualified to comment on Kung Fu, per se. I would never in my life dream of telling you how to do your forms.

I do feel qualified to comment on what works and what doesn't, as I have over 12 years of experience in trying to get non-compliant people to do what *I* want - especially if it concerns grappling. When someone spouts bull****, I'll call them on it.

Unfortunately for many CMA types, bull**** springs forth in a veritable torrent quite often.

At the end of the day, I don't have a problem with people training what they train it; I have a problem with misrepresentation and delusion - ie, "I train for the street, for a no rules situation!"

Ummm.... no you don't. All training has rules. Ergo, you can't be training for a no rules situation. It's all simulations, where we do the best we can. There is a reason, for instance, that veteran units are highly prized...

Similarly, I do a sport. I suffer no illusions as to what that gives me: a useable skill set in case of emergency. It does NOT turn me into a fighter, or a bodyguard or a self defense expert, any more than being an expert marksman turns a person into the ideal soldier.
    I think this is due to the fact that many CMA people, although they think they're open-minded, are actually quite close-minded, and regurgitate BS they've been told and taken to be true.

Hell, I was guilty of it when I started MA. Look around, though, test various people, and you quickly learn to debunk the BS. Even then, you touch hands with someone from a different art who's really good at his art, and he'll have the same misconceptions.........

I think that's why MMA guys generally sound like they're being debasing and abrasive. There's just a lot of high-minded victim-playing from CMA guys.

But some MMA guys have some pretty stupid things to say about CMA as well.

I think that's why MMA guys generally sound like they're being debasing and abrasive. There's just a lot of high-minded victim-playing from CMA guys.
    I've often said that if MMA arrogance is aggression, then CMA arrogance is "looking down your nose," at other people who don't have the capacity/chance to "See the truth," and be "enlightened.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli