Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Unarmed defense against knife

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    218

    Unarmed defense against knife

    Dear all,
    I have read this in a martial art book written by a high ranking black belt. I have to change the words in order to avoid the copy right law, however, the meaning remained unchanged.


    Unarmed defense against knife

    An unarmed person facing an armed attacker, who carry a knife is in a very danger situation. You can end up serious hurt or death. A highly skilled martial artist can still be hurt by an unskilled knife attacker. The more skillful the knife attacker is, then the chance of you getting hurt increase. You stand very little chance against a skilled knife-fighter regardless of your experience and skill.


    I agreed with most of the thing the author has written. Confrontation against an armed attacker is unwise and very dangerous. You can end up death! However, some of the comments above do not make any sense. Assuming that the knife is replaced by an object of equal length and shape, this means that any unskilled person holding that object can touch you. If this is the case, why should I wasting my time and my hard earned cash learning martial artist from you! When any unskilled person can touch me as long as they are holding a two and a half inches object. This also mean that any one who is two feet taller than me can touch me at will, despite the fact he/she has no skill! If this is the case how come some of the unarmed ancient karate masters could defeat the Japanese samurai or warriors, who carried long sharp swords, spears, etc. while many of today's highly rated martial artists cannot even defense themselves against a person holding a two and half inches knife? If they can, then the statement above would not have been published in a book in the first place!
    Many of the modern days self proclaimed masters claiming that their modern day training methods are better than the traditional methods. You can find those adverts in most martial arts magazines. If this is the truth, they (unarmed) should have no problem defeating an armed attacker carrying a two feet long sharp sword or spear. However, I have not seen many martial arts instructors who would spar with anyone (without wearing any protective clothing); let alone sparring against an unskilled armed attacker carrying a sharp knife.
    Assuming that both traditionalist and modernist are telling the truth that they can defence themselves against armed attackers, then how come there are so many martial students who got hurt by knife? I used to know two martial arts students who got stabbed by knives.
    I come to the conclusion that:
    1. Martial arts have become so degraded that it is no better than a dance routine
    Or
    2. the ancient karate masters were liars; they could not defeat the armed Japanese warriors.
    3. There are more conmen running martial arts schools than in any other trade.

    I will be very grateful if anyone can tell me which statement is truth, because I am getting very confuse reading all those sale man techniques (articles) in different martial arts web sites.

    Thank you

    Hitman

  2. #2

    Thumbs down

    troll and not a very good one either

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,080

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Assuming that the knife is replaced by an object of equal length and shape, this means that any unskilled person holding that object can touch you. If this is the case, why should I wasting my time and my hard earned cash learning martial artist from you! When any unskilled person can touch me as long as they are holding a two and a half inches object. This also mean that any one who is two feet taller than me can touch me at will, despite the fact he/she has no skill!
    Just because you are touched (cut in the real world), does not mean you are dead.


    If this is the case how come some of the unarmed ancient karate masters could defeat the Japanese samurai or warriors, who carried long sharp swords, spears, etc. n
    They were no better, and a lot were probably worse, than any modern person who is trained in defending bladed weapons.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    You can end up death!
    Cool! I could be one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse?
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist

  6. #6
    well its useful to have some kind of edge over your opponent

    and while he may have a knife which increases the odds of him hurting you

    you doing martial arts reduces this risk abit nd to be honest i'd like to have some of the odds in my favour

    has anyone noticed that for all ppls talk about karate defending against the samurai etc
    that okinawa is governed by the japanese and they didnt defenc themselves very well or the japs would have had more trouble ?
    there are only masters where there are slaves

    www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu



    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat.
    Posts
    1,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Just because you are touched (cut in the real world), does not mean you are dead.

    Good point!

    Sifu pointed this out once in training: every time I was in a scramble on the ground with the attacker, once he stabbed me, I gave up! I imagine with the adrenaline dump that you could continue to fight and then realize you are bleeding to death!
    A unique snowflake

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Leeds (Gipton Estate)
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by DPL View Post
    Cool! I could be one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse?
    How utterly moronic. Posts like this (and the one I'm writing atm) are a complete waste of forum space, hopefully bodhitree will "prune" away the useless posts as he is supposedly a moderator!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Lad View Post
    How utterly moronic. Posts like this (and the one I'm writing atm) are a complete waste of forum space, hopefully bodhitree will "prune" away the useless posts as he is supposedly a moderator!
    yup, my cryptographic program is definitely working
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outer Beringia
    Posts
    892
    [QUOTE=
    2. the ancient karate masters were liars; they could not defeat the armed Japanese warriors.


    Basic history lesson #1: There were no ancient karate masters. Karate is a 20th century phenomenon.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Fremont, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    44,630

    Our latest ezine offering

    When you're facing a deadly weapon. READ Against the Armed Assailant by Phil Humphries

    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    When you're facing a deadly weapon. READ Against the Armed Assailant
    Most of this good advice seems to apply firearms where you want to get in close to your attacker, but in countries that have effective gun control, chances are the attacker is going to use knives, and what I recall from kung fu is that you want to keep as much distance as possible, so at worst, you only get your arms and legs cut up rather than any vital parts. Now it may have been that the instructor deemed we had longer limbs than average. I don't know, but that's what I remember...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •