This is a nice story. I wonder if 'Shaolin-trained' implies that Goh actually trained at Shaolin Temple or if she just studied Shaolin Kung Fu somewhere. At 62, that would make her a senior nun and I don't remember ever seeing any of those, except maybe at Yongtai.

Tuesday, 17 January 2017
Keeping seniors happy and healthy

Generous gesture: Malacca Star Media Group bureau chief R.S.N. Murali handing over the mock cheque to Goh and Lim (third from right). Also present during the presentation is Koh (back row, centre).

JASIN: As the sole caretaker of the 10 elderly members of Jasin Ami*tabha Village in Taman Maju here, Shaolin-trained nun Goh Sin Soi shows remarkable spirit and cheerfulness in keeping the residents happy and healthy.

“I am happy keeping them happy. It’s a blessing for me to be given the task of caring for these seniors,” she said.

Goh, 62, not only ensures that the residents live happily and healthily during their twilight years, she also coaches them on religious matters.

“I teach them the art of Shaolin as well to keep them going and healthy,” she said at the Malacca Buddhist Association-managed home that houses elderly people with no children and family members.

Although funds are always needed to operate such a facility which is fully financed by the public, Goh said they do not mind even if visitors do not come with any donations, monetary or in kind.

“We welcome anyone to visit, even with just a smile and kind words. Money is easier to find than love and respect,” she said yesterday after receiving a cheque for RM18,000 from Star Foundation, together with the home’s chairman Lim Keng.

The foundation is the charitable arm of Star Media Group.

Lim said they appreciated the donation just before the Lunar New Year.

“We approached Jasin MCA for funds to host various activities, especially for Chinese New Year.

“Before we knew it, a representative from The Star’s Malacca office told us the good news about the donation,” he said.

Jasin MCA chairman Datuk Koh Chin Han said the village still needs the public to continue providing healthy vegetarian food and orga*ni*sing activities for the residents.

“The members are closely-knit and they regard each other as family,” he said, adding that MCA will continue to source for funds to help offset the home’s monthly operational cost of RM8,000.