Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Nuns & Shaolin Nuns

Hybrid View

shaolin nuns???

Would love to study with them, and while I know there's like 20 out at shaolin, how do you go about that??? So, they could do discpleships right?

none nuns

It's very hard to get into the Shaolin nunnery to train. However, you might check out Yongtai Nunnery, which is a sister temple to Shaolin, very near by. I have a write up on it in our latest issue - May June 2004, hitting stands right about now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'll look forward to the read

Kung Fu Nuns & Shaolin Nuns

Hey i was just wondering if anyone knew any information on shaolin nuns? I have heard there is a temple close to shaolin somewhere that in the past had trained shaolin nuns and even to this day there is a few still training. If anyone has information on this it would be greatly appreciated.

There are only a few nuns at Shaolin...

...and they are very secretive. Shaolin's nunnery is the small temple on the trail to Tamo's cave. I've actually had the honor of training there. My master, Shi Decheng took me there because it was a nice peaceful place to train once.

Shaolin also has a sister temple, which is a short northernly detour on the way to Shaolin via the old road from Dengfeng. I'm not sure how to get there via the new road. Yongtai Nunnery was founded on the site of the hut of Zhuanyun (the first Buddhist nun of China) by the Tamo's female disciple, Princess Minglian. There are many martial nuns living there now. For more info on this, see my article Shaolin Monks and Warrior Nuns: Lotus & Sword Makes Its American Debut in our 2004 May/June issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

in the picture attached to this post there are two shaolin nuns, called 'brothers.'

they are part of xing zhen's lineage, you will also see a young yong xin and yan ming. i don't remember their names.

nice pic Richard

Do you have a date for that photo?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm pretty sure he went alone and the nuns aren't allowed to date.

rdrr

Ill be quiet now.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    not sure of the date on this one. I think, from what memory serves me, it was shot before SXZ started in and out of the hospital.

Nepal's kung fu nuns practise karma with a kick

"The Amitabha Drukpa Nunnery in Kathmandu, Nepal, houses the world's first order of kung fu nuns."

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15...-29224499.html
    I guess Yongtai doesn't count?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    I guess Yongtai doesn't count?
    Or Wudang :P

Blog Entries

kung fu Nuns...Gene is this old news??

So hey Gene Delete it if it's old...but otherwise, it's still NEWS!!!

Nepal's kung fu nuns practise karma with a kick

http://news.yahoo.com/nepals-kung-fu...061118993.html

Yeah go figure eh?

http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

The Tibetan nuns strike again

I know, I know....needs pix.
    Kung fu nuns teach cosmic energy to CERN scientists
    By Robert Evans
    GENEVA | Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:28am EST

Nov 16 (Reuters) - A dozen kung fu nuns from an Asian Buddhist order displayed their martial arts prowess to bemused scientists at CERN this week as their spiritual leader explained how their energy was like that of the cosmos.

The nuns, all from the Himalayan region, struck poses of hand-chops, high-kicks and punches on Thursday while touring the research centre where physicists at the frontiers of science are probing the origins of the universe.

"Men and women carry different energy," said His Holiness Gyalwang Drukpa, a monk who ranks only slightly below the Dalai Lama in the global Buddhist hierarchy. "Both male and female energies are needed to better the world."

This, he said, was a scientific principle "as fundamental as the relationship between the sun and the moon" and its importance was similar to that of the particle collisions in CERN's vast "Big Bang" machine, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

The nuns, mostly slim and fit-looking teenagers with shaven heads and clad in flowing burgundy robes, nodded sagely.

But the 49-year-old Gyalwang Drukpa, head since the age of four of one of the new independent schools of Tibetan Buddhism centred in India and Nepal, stressed that their visit to CERN was not just scientific in purpose.

GENDER EQUALITY

By taking the nuns around the world and letting people of other countries enjoy their martial displays, he told physicists and reporters: "I hope to raise awareness about gender equality and the need for the empowerment of women."

The nuns themselves -- who star on Youtube videos -- have benefited from this outlook, he said.

For centuries in Tibet -- incorporated into communist China since 1951 -- and its surrounds, women were strictly barred from practising any form of martial art.

In his homeland Himalayan region of Ladakh, the Gyalwang Drukpa said, women were mainly servants, cooks and cleaners to monks.

About three years ago he decided to break out of this pattern and improve the health and spiritual well-being of women by training them in kung fu and even allowing them to perform sacred rites once also restricted to men.

"And a very good thing too," declared CERN physicist Pauline Gagnon, who recently wrote a blog study pointing to the low, although growing, proportion of women in scientific research around the world.

The visit to CERN, whose director general Rolf Heuer recently sponsored a conference of scientists, theologians and philosophers to discuss the tense relationship between science and religion, was not the first by a top religious leader.

In 1983 the sprawling campus on the border of France and Switzerland hosted the Dalai Lama, Buddhism's most revered figure, who argues that most scientific discoveries prove the truth of the view of the cosmos expounded by his faith -- sometimes dubbed by outsiders an "atheistic religion."

Pope John-Paul II preceded him in 1982 and the present Pope Benedict has a standing invitation from Heuer. (Reported by Robert Evans, edited by Paul Casciato)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Meme from the JAN+FEB 2018 issue

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another meme from JAN+FEB 2018

Gene Ching