Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar or Wing Chun

Hung Gar or Wing Chun

Done some research and think I'd either like to do HG or WC. Which do you think is better for fighting? Can someone say benefits and downsides of both. Thanx

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    One things for sure nether style will teach you back flips & summersaults you were craving in the other thread.

well here is a clip of Hung Gar that pretty much proves YOU wrong. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iG8oCF87xZs

Any useful comments about which style to pick?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA THAT'S NOT HUNG GAR

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3fOwig9bgc
    Thats Hung Gar
    Don't think about being good in the next year or five years...think about being good in the next 50 years. Learn to love the process of being good, not the anticipation of being good.

Don't think about being good in the next year or five years...think about being good in the next 50 years. Learn to love the process of being good, not the anticipation of being good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Lad View Post
    well here is a clip of Hung Gar that pretty much proves YOU wrong. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iG8oCF87xZs

HA HA indeed, crappy gymnastics at its finest.....
    Last edited by Satori Science; 09-01-2007 at 10:44 AM. Reason: change
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

This is Hung Ga http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tb7o3GlcUU

Whatever they do at this place has NOTHING to do with martial arts. If you thought this is Hung Gar much less any martial art, then there is no hope for you.

Are you aware that doing magic mushrooms is illegal?
    Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar; 09-01-2007 at 08:24 PM.

If you want t see a very fine example of Hung Gar take a look at this clip from Grandmasters Chiu Chi Ling Fu Hok video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VQW5...elated&search=

Okay, let me tell you what I want from my martial arts. After training I want to be...

1. Well trained in a number of weapons
    2. Prepared for any situation eg. trained in fighting on wet grass, narrow coridoors etc.
    3. Preferably at least a basic level of acrobatic training
    4. Much stronger, faster, more powerful etc. than I am at the moment

With these things in mind... HG or WC?

i don't know why your looking at hung gar or wing chun for acrobatics training. there all about being rooted into the ground not flipping the air. also you do no its going to take years to learn these arts. both are very good system and actually compliment each other in ways. are you serious about learning these arts, i looked at your other post and i got to say you have a really warped idea on what martial arts can do. if you imagine that your gonna be some vigilante ala batman its not going to happen. your best bet to clean up your streets is to get a badge and a gun, martial arts will help but the badge and the gun is the best way. sorry i don't mean to offend

what a f*ckin load of Sh*T

1. Well trained in a number of weapons
    2. Prepared for any situation eg. trained in fighting on wet grass, narrow coridoors etc.
    3. Preferably at least a basic level of acrobatic training
    4. Much stronger, faster, more powerful etc. than I am at the moment
    Hung gar has a good number of weapons. Hung and wing chun have good roots
    so fighting in wet grass should not be a problem with either. Fighting in narrow coridoors hung gar ang wing chun are both good but wing chun more so. Depening on the sifu's trainnig methods hung gar can make you fast and powerful at the same time. In AMERICA wing chun is not know for its power do to many wing chun sifu well suck.

Fighting Lad

Go home fighting lad. Dont look back. Someone's gaining.

**** how are we gonna get rid of people like fighting lad and john takeshi who ruin this board its becoming a serious problem

Done some research and think I'd either like to do HG or WC. Which do you think is better for fighting? Can someone say benefits and downsides of both. Thanx
    Hi,

Neither by themselves are better than the other. There is a lot more you have to look at. Who are the teachers and how capable are they to teach you good skills? Personally I find Wing Chun easier for me to use than Hung Gar. But that may be because of my experience and your could differ.

Here is how I look at things. Overall, Hung Gar is a much more traditional style than Wing Chun. Hung Gar has lots of weapons and forms. Your typically going to learn a classical system. Low horse stances, powerful strikes and punches often characterize hung gar. Wing Chun has few forms and places a high priority on individual interaction early on. Both styles are proven. Both styles places a lot of emphasis on bridging. Hung Gar has more long range stuff incorporated into it than wing chun. Wing CHun is very specialized and constantly and relentlessly drives towards the center.

Various branches of Hung Gar may include other styles. Often Northern Kung Fu is found in Hung Gar. Branches decending from Lam Jo contain common northern forms from Ching Wu as well as Pek Kwar. Much of the Hung Gar curriculum has been integrated from various systems. This means there is a lot of diversity in its technics.

Wing Chun also has various branches, but most tend to be stricly wing chun, though they are emphsised quite differently between major branches and even with in similar lineages. The core of wing chun seems to be to attack along the centerline. This is very specialized and the whole of the art seems geared around that idea.

I like both styles and find both challenging and exciting. I would visit your local schools and see which ones excite you more. Try to find a good teacher, though that is easier said than done. Find a school your comfortable with. Ask around if possible.
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams