Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 Section Chain Whip and Real Usage Q

9 Section Chain Whip and Real Usage Q

I've heard the chain whip was used a bit by Bodyguards and Assassins and Warriors in ancient times and I was just wondering about the Real Useage of this weapon in real Combat?

I'm guess it was mainly the whipping/throwing into a stabbing thrust with the tip and maybe close range grappling type situations?

rather than the twirling swirling back flip cartwheeling pretty displays of Wushu and most forms i have seen (nothing wrong with that at all... but i doubt a butterfly kick into splits etc was used on a battlefield or asassination scenerio :P)

are their northern and southern forms (sets) of this weapon and can anyone point me to a clip of a southern style form... especially any hakka art (if this weapon exists within those curriculums

I'd like to hear more about the practical usage and techniques (well anything) of this weapon.

Interesting weapon

thank you

cjurakpt Guest
    "southern" style chain whip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKN_DsfGdVg

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    "southern" style chain whip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKN_DsfGdVg
    Great video, this guy is obviously really skilled. Shame about the music; the incessant drumming really irritated me!

thanks for the clip link! and were a few more clips in related sectioon.

i actually like drumming hehe :P

i didn't think of CTS.. because i thought lama pai is northern system...

Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian Tofu M View Post
    I wouldn't buy a DVD instructing you how to do a martial art - you'll probably just get hurt in the process; I'd search for a teacher in your area if I were you. If you're struggling to find one then just check ads in your local newsagent.

6. I was just showing the vid the site has a lot, theirs no substitute for a real Teacher.

Blog Entries
    My understanding is that the chain whip was something that soldiers would keep tied around their waist. It was primarily used as a means of tangling up somebodies weapon so they couldn't use it anymore. Although you can use a chainwhip in an offensive manner I think it is more likely that the Fei Do (rope dart) was used for this purpose.

FP

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Lad View Post
    Great video, this guy is obviously really skilled. Shame about the music; the incessant drumming really irritated me!
    and now you know how we are beginning to feel about your incessant posting...

Quote Originally Posted by TongLongJai View Post
    i actually like drumming hehe :P
    in the clip it was laid-over by Mike P. with some "generic" drumming when he uploaded the vid - the original live drumming "soundtrack" was provided by Sifu Y C Wong and it was amazing (but evidently didn't transfer well)

Quote Originally Posted by TongLongJai View Post
    i didn't think of CTS.. because i thought lama pai is northern system...
    not really; and anyway, the chain whip is a CLF set (the opening is the CLF signature)

I wouldn't buy a DVD instructing you how to do a martial art - you'll probably just get hurt in the process;
    and he obviously speaks from experience vis a vis frequent blows to the back of his own head...

I'd search for a teacher in your area if I were you. If you're struggling to find one then just check ads in your local newsagent.
    yes, try looking under Taoist Hermit Sage's For Hire to start with...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    if it was a soldier's weapon,using it to tangle up a weapon is suicidal in terms of battlefield warefare. It was usually carried around the waist or folded up and is a last resort weapon, rather than a main weapon.
    I prefer the forms that use the chain in a more martial sense, rather than
    "the sitting on the floor sweeping it under your butt thechnique."
    I know there are techniques put in a form that show "Mastery" of the weapon, but I would rather master fighting techniques than spend ao much time developing a useless skill. Besides, it just plain looks stupid. I think if you are going to do that, you may as well do it on a unicycle, balance some plates, and juggle.

whats that move for actually? (hopping up and down on your butt and swinging the chain underneath you)
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Heck if I know. If a guy came into my school and did that, I'd tie a dust broom to it and put him in the lobby.'Yeah, good Kung-Fu. Do my floors."

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I prefer the forms that use the chain in a more martial sense, rather than
    "the sitting on the floor sweeping it under your butt thechnique."
    I know there are techniques put in a form that show "Mastery" of the weapon, but I would rather master fighting techniques than spend ao much time developing a useless skill. Besides, it just plain looks stupid. I think if you are going to do that, you may as well do it on a unicycle, balance some plates, and juggle.
    my thoughts actually and what im interested in .. thus this tread

besides hung gar and choy lee fut what other southern styles use 9 section chain whip?

any styles like ngo cho kune, lung ying, bak mei etc?

Whip chain supposedly could break a blade, i.e. a sword.

Training whips are very light compared to the 'real' versions I've seen.

Its a bit of an esoteric weapon, but think of a biker gang fight with chains, and maybe it will make some sense.

On a battlefield, tangle a weapon while your pike guys do them in? dunno

Seems more of a one on one weapon to me. Nice against a knife, lots of range, easy to stash.

Pak Mei has a chain form, but I'm a believer that most weapons are generic.

14. from what I know of HG uses a 3 section chain whip. Does HG use a 9 section?