Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9 Section Chain Whip and Real Usage Q

Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian Tofu M View Post
    from what I know of HG uses a 3 section chain whip. Does HG use a 9 section?
    http://www.wle.com/videos/VHG17D.wmv

http://www.wle.com/videos/VHG24D.wmv

sorry about that Tofu M my mistake.

Double chain whip video is indeed 3 section on closer viewing.

I alwasy thought 3 section was just shorter...

Single chain whip appears to be more sections one? 5 section?
    Last edited by TongLongJai; 09-05-2007 at 01:30 AM. Reason: correction

2. Will the number of sections on a chain whip effect a form to the point where its considered wrong, at least to Hung Gar.

TongLongJai it's all good, I only herd of a 3, 7, 9 section my self.
    Last edited by Sicilian Tofu M; 09-05-2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: its cool

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Heck if I know. If a guy came into my school and did that, I'd tie a dust broom to it and put him in the lobby.'Yeah, good Kung-Fu. Do my floors."
    V good point. The kung fu chains are worlds apart from the wushu chains. The latter is like paper clips bounded together. I imagine you have to be very good with the chain until you can match someone with a staff or sword.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I prefer the forms that use the chain in a more martial sense, rather than
    "the sitting on the floor sweeping it under your butt thechnique."
    This CLF form seems pretty martial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEXC34aFBdg

That is actually not a CLF whip set but rather a northern one.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "The kung fu chains are worlds apart from the wushu chains. The latter is like paper clips bounded together."

yep..when I was learning chain whip from Yu Shaowen, (Beijing Wu-Shu Champion) he took one look at my chain whip and said,"That's for war! Use mine, you'll kill yourself with that thing!"

yea there is a hell of a difference between the 2 types of whip. My wushu one could still punch a hole in your head, but the one I bought in china for my sifu is about double the weight and the dart on the end is about twice as big.

Dangerous stuff. Getting hit at high speed round the head with either one will result in serious injury. My friend was playing around slowly with one and caught his shin bone.....it left him with a huge black bruise the size of a tennis ball.....

craig

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    That is actually not a CLF whip set but rather a northern one.
    What is the difference between CLF whip set and northern whip set? You have any examples of a true CLF whip form?

Actually the CLF set that my sifu taught was kinda laim that is why he taught the northern version you saw in the video although the video is a bit different. The basics were similar however the northern set has a much better flow. A better CLF set is the double 3-sec whips.

Ten Tigers sez

yep..when I was learning chain whip from Yu Shaowen, (Beijing Wu-Shu Champion) he took one look at my chain whip and said,"That's for war! Use mine, you'll kill yourself with that thing!"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yu Shaowen is a friend. You must have learned from him when he went east after he left Arizona. Later he moved to Portland. In his monkey staff form when he balanced himself on the staff- time seemed to stand still.

BTW an American Chinese sifu- shall go un-named..some years ago was doing the 9 sectional whip in front of a crowded audience,,, the last link came off and went flying and embedded itself ona wall. It could easily have been moider-if the fates were unkind.It pays to look at craftsmanship.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    BTW an American Chinese sifu- shall go un-named..some years ago was doing the 9 sectional whip in front of a crowded audience,,, the last link came off and went flying and embedded itself ona wall. It could easily have been moider-if the fates were unkind.It pays to look at craftsmanship.

joy chaudhuri
    I have not seen many wushu chains, the ones I have seen on sale seemed dodgy. Looked pretty home made.

Yeah, my kung fu one have came off in the handle link(more then once). I can't buy them here, I managed to get it fixed by a black smith. Everytime I use it now I check it or just stop using it whens there's people around. You would think they make these things better.

This may have already been stated... I don't know the history of the chain forms but I was under the impression that this weapon is much like other weapons that were borrowed from other styles, atleast in Hung Gar. I wonder if there really a souther chain whip or if it is just variations on other outside influences?

YC Wong Sifu is sometimes associated with the chain whips. He seems to have a high level of proficiency with the weapon. So I guess this form is as good as any others. Here is a short scene at the end of this clip

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mnSMGBWO8N4
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams

13. WOW that was cool.