Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for cheap way to spar, learn BJJ in NYC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    http://www.muaythai-nyc.com/enter.html

honestly humble pie is the best choice. 85$ wtf this is NYC ... $100 is the cheapest you will ever find.
    Yeah, it figures...what isn't expensive here....actually produce is pretty cheap which surprised me.

JMO NYC sanda is the best in town hands down.
    anyway you get used to coach ross,
    he isn't half as bad as he may seem. For someone who talks allot, he can back it up in many areas of fighting. Thats not me reading it or me trying to get points or some crap its someone thats has honest first hand experience. (also one of the only mma gyms that didn't give me crap for being a Wing Chun person.. major points for that).
    What can I say? I have zero respect for the guy....so there is no chance I will train there.

FP

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    What can I say?
    FP
    just admit you are a giant loser who has talked smack for years and can't back it up, that if you did show up here, people with 3 weeks of training would toy with you and demonstrate beyond a shadow of a doubt you are a tool
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

If you want cheap groundwork then wrestle. You can then supplement it with BJJ when you can afford it. IMO wrestling and BJJ as a combo is WAY better than straight BJJ (but then I would say that as it's what my Jiu Jitsu teacher does ).
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

you are in grad school? a lot of schools have clubs that are free or very cheap to students. i know my college had an aikido club, judo club and TKD club. my friend said they have a bjj club at his school. it might be worth looking into. and if not at your school check one of the other colleges in NYC. i doubt you would get the caliber of training in a student club as you would in a 'real' BJJ school but at least you can get an introduction into basic groundwork.

but being in NY it would be worth it to scrape up the money and pay for one of the schools there. there are a few that are supposed to be really awesome and once you graduate (assuming you dont stay in NY) you will not have the opportunity anymore to train there.

good luck

cjurakpt Guest
    in all seriousness, it's a shame that ego and personal issues are getting in the way of your taking advantage of a school that teaches what you are looking for from a TCMA vantage point

knowing Dave, if you went in sincerely with a "let's just drop the past and start from scratch" attitude, he'd meet you at least half-way

plus you would probably train harder and thereby learn faster just to not have to hear him talk trash on you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    in all seriousness, it's a shame that ego and personal issues are getting in the way of your taking advantage of a school that teaches what you are looking for from a TCMA vantage point

knowing Dave, if you went in sincerely with a "let's just drop the past and start from scratch" attitude, he'd meet you at least half-way
    If he came and really wanted to train, he'd be welcome here. But he'd have to check the ego at the door, and if he didn't, I have a few "ego checkers" waiting in every class. That's the issue, his ego. He rambles on but the fact is he's been talking smack on this board for YEARS
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post

this is the problem with forums and the internet we (this includes me) tend say things, and takes strong opinions that normally we would not. We often stand behind a cloak of anonymity... not really knowing, doing, or even believing half the things we say. LOL but who cares? its the Internet...

it takes too much time anyway. School is starting again, and between that ,sleep and training I don't want to waste too much time saying things nobody in the real world cares to hear. (thats why we put them on the internet )

SBG is probably your best bet in the end. Anyway you could walk into any gym in NY and nobody would know who you are. Unless you posted your name and picture.. only a few people here know who I am.. its better that way... or else I would have to really think about things I say here. In theory you could visit the NYC sanda school, not tell anyone who you are... try the free class... then make a real decision. honesty thats what i did with just about every MA school I could find in the NY area. Its a fun tour the area, and you meet allot of people. I am a firm believer in opening up and listening to things I don't agree with from people I don't like. Thats when I often learn the most.

your in grad school.. you should already know this crap. Basic logic
    so I hope to not post too much anymore until after the semester. Good luck I hear NYU has a JKD club if you are going to NYU that would be a cool thing to check.

If you are looking for cheap BJJ, find a training group run by a Purple Belt. They don't charge anything near what the Black Belts charge, and you will learn enough functional skill to protect yourself on the ground.

Personally, unless you just want to get rank in BJJ, I'd find a small MMA club to train with so you can learn to fight on the ground and still maintain your stand up. That way, you would be exposed to wrestling and learn better takedowns and throws. BJJ sucks for takedowns.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 09-04-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    Cool. I did find a club through my university, it appears that they chare $0. Don't ask me how. Thanks for all the ideas. Will keep you posted on my progress.

FP
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 09-04-2007 at 12:54 PM.

If you want ground work with a gi and don't wanna pay serious coin ( whatever that is), Judo is the way to go, other than that, like MK said, join a MMA gym.

Blog Entries
    Looks like its on at the university. They meet a couple times a night, no charge. Not sure where the instructor is from?

FP

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    Looks like its on at the university. They meet a couple times a night, no charge. Not sure where the instructor is from?

FP
    what university are you attending?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    . BJJ sucks for takedowns.
    Best not to generalise. Some schools/teachers have excellent takedowns. Others it is true could do with some work. Its less about knowledge of takedowns and more about how much time is spent training them anyway.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Forrer View Post
    Best not to generalise. Some schools/teachers have excellent takedowns. Others it is true could do with some work. Its less about knowledge of takedowns and more about how much time is spent training them anyway.
    OK, but generally speaking, wrestlers have the best takedowns bar none (in my experience, at least).