Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten Tigers of Canton - Who are they and what did they do?

Ten Tigers of Canton - Who are they and what did they do?

I know what some of the more well known members practiced, but what about the others? What exactly did they do together? And how did they influence each others' Gung Fu?
    Ok so I'll start out with a list. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Wong Fei Hung - Hung Gar
    Wong Kei Ying - Hung Gar
    Soo Hak Fu - Hak Fu Mun
    Wong Yan Lam - Lion's Roar
    Tid Kiu Sam - Hung Gar
    So Chan – I think it was Beggar style but I’m not so sure of that one.
    Tid Chi Cham -???
    Wong Ching Ho - ???
    Lai Yun Chiu - ???
    Tam Chai Hok - ???
    And there was one mention of Chow Tai being in there. I don’t know anything about him though.
    So can anyone fill in those gaps?
    So far, here is what I can gather of their relationships. I think that Wong Fei Hung (or Wong Kei Ying) got Tid Seen Kuen from Tid Kiu Sam, element punches and (I think) the crane’s beak from Wong Yan Lam, and Black Tiger techniques from Soo Hak Fu. Soo Hak Fu may have gotten Tid Seen Kuen from Wong Kei Ying. Wong Yan Lam may have gotten Fu Jow techniques from Wong Fei Hung or Wong Kei Ying. Please feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong. Feel free to add as well. And what did the Ten Tigers of Canton actually DO together?

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    I know what some of the more well known members practiced, but what about the others? What exactly did they do together? And how did they influence each others' Gung Fu?
    Ok so I'll start out with a list. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Wong Fei Hung - Hung Gar
    Wong Kei Ying - Hung Gar
    Soo Hak Fu - Hak Fu Mun
    Wong Yan Lam - Lion's Roar
    Tid Kiu Sam - Hung Gar
    So Chan – I think it was Beggar style but I’m not so sure of that one.
    Tid Chi Cham -???
    Wong Ching Ho - ???
    Lai Yun Chiu - ???
    Tam Chai Hok - ???
    And there was one mention of Chow Tai being in there. I don’t know anything about him though.
    So can anyone fill in those gaps?
    So far, here is what I can gather of their relationships. I think that Wong Fei Hung (or Wong Kei Ying) got Tid Seen Kuen from Tid Kiu Sam, element punches and (I think) the crane’s beak from Wong Yan Lam, and Black Tiger techniques from Soo Hak Fu. Soo Hak Fu may have gotten Tid Seen Kuen from Wong Kei Ying. Wong Yan Lam may have gotten Fu Jow techniques from Wong Fei Hung or Wong Kei Ying. Please feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong. Feel free to add as well. And what did the Ten Tigers of Canton actually DO together?

From what I read, Wong Fei Hong wasn't one of the ten, though his father Wong Kei Ying was. Instead Wong Fei Hong was known as the "tiger after the ten"... that might leave place for Chow Tai, though I do not know the names of all ten, so maybe.
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

According to what My Sifu has told us about it, yes, Wong Fei Hung was counted as one of the Tigers, but not as one of the original 10. He was called the 11th, and yes, I believe the Tiger after the 10 is another I have heard tale of.

Basicly, though Wong Fei Hung was not one of the original 10, he was and is considered just as important and is respected as as if he was. Yes, His Father was one of the original 10.

Quote Originally Posted by mok View Post
    From what I read, Wong Fei Hong wasn't one of the ten, though his father Wong Kei Ying was. Instead Wong Fei Hong was known as the "tiger after the ten"... that might leave place for Chow Tai, though I do not know the names of all ten, so maybe.
    Last edited by Kung_Who?; 09-05-2007 at 11:04 AM.

This is on Wong Kiew kit's site...

All the "Ten Tigers of Guangdong were Shaolin lay disciples. They did not studied in the Shaolin Monastery itself, but were directly connected to the southern Shaolin Monastery at Jiulian Mountain or at Quanzhow, having learnt from monks or lay disciples who in turn were from the monasteries before they were burnt.

Although they lived in the later part of the Qing Dynasty in Guangdong Province, they did not appear at the same time as a group. (A Hong Kong video series showing them at the same time and place, is fictitious.) They were about two or three generations after the Five Shaolin Ancestors. The Ten Tigers were Thit Kew Sam, Wong Yein Lam, Wong Khei Yin, Su Hak Fu, Su Hut Yee, Chow Thye, Tham Chai Wen, Wong Cheng Ho, Tit Chee Chan, and See Yu Leong.

Thit Kew Sam was the foremost of the Ten Guangdong Tigers. Thit Kew Sam, which literally means "Iron Bridge Three", was his nickname because his arms were very powerful; his actual name was Leong Khuen. His internal force came mainly from his training of Thit Seen Khuen, or Iron Wire Set.

Wong Yein Lam was a master of Hap Ka (Family of Knights) Kungfu. Hap Ka Kungfu originated from Lama Kungfu of Tibet, but had been modified and taught by Shaolin monks or lay masters. Wong Yein Lam's teacher was a Shaolin monk called Sheng Loong.

Wong Khei Yin was a disciple of Luk Ah Choy and the father of Wong Fei Hoong. His was well known for his "no-shadow kicks".

Su Hak Fu was a master of the Black Tiger Style. He was good at the tiger-claw. "Hak Fu" actually means "Black Tiger"; it is uncertain whether it was his real name or nickname.

Su Hut Yee, which means Beggar Su, was originally rich but squandered away his money. He was a master of Hoong Ka Kungfu. He learned from Chan Fook, a monk from the southern Shaolin Monastery, and was probably the same Chan Fook who started my lineage from Uncle Righteousness. (Please see below.)

Chow Thye was well known for his staff, known as Tai Cho Chooi Wan Khun, or "Soul-Chasing Staff of the First Emperor". He shot to fame when he defeated an international boxing champion from France.

Tham Chai Wen was known as "Three-Leg Tham" because of his three kicking techniques. They were tiger-tail kick, weeping-floor kick, and organ-seeking kick.

Wong Cheng Ho was famous for his Iron Head. He learned his kungfu in a Guangdong temple from a monk belonging to the Shaolin tradition.

Tit Chee Chan means "Iron Finger Chan"; his real name was unknown. Naturally he was expert at the Iron Finger Art.

See Yu Leong was known for the Red Sand Palm. This is an advanced Shaolin art using internal force which leaves a red mark on the skin of an opponent after being struck.

I forgot where I got this from...

Tiit Kiu Saam (1815 - 1887) was known as 'the great master of the Hong Fist' and was one of the Ten Tigers of Canton, a group of ten of the top Chinese martial arts masters in Guangdong towards the end of the Qing Dynasty (1644–1912).

Born 'Liang Kun' in 1815, he studied martial arts in his youth under the famous Shaolin master Li Huzi (Bearded Li, also known as 'Golden Hook'). He loved studying martial techniques, and travelled around in search of friends and great masters, frequently seeking out the company of Buddhist monks. Dedicated training in Shaolin techniques helped him to develop a rock-solid stance. He went on to teach martial arts at the Guangzhi dye-works at Rainbow Bridge in Guangzhou and he became an extremely well-known figure.

He was born during the reign of the Emperor Jiaqing (1796 - 1821), and died in the 12th or 13th year of the reign of Emperor Guang Xu (1887 or 1888). His death was caused by over-zealous training in the '36 Point Copper Ring Pole' technique, under the monk Yuan Guang at Haichuang Monastery. He had long been an opium smoker; the monk advised him to break the habit and train in the pole technique instead. But he pushed himself too hard for his age, fell ill and died around the age of 70.

He is best known for his 'Iron Bridges' and the fist form Iron Wire Fist. His Iron Wire Fist is the highest level in most Hung Gar schools and his work is very important to the current Hung Gar Kung Fu system.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Dragons View Post
    This is on Wong Kiew kit's site...

Wong Yein Lam was a master of Hap Ka (Family of Knights) Kungfu. Hap Ka Kungfu originated from Lama Kungfu of Tibet, but had been modified and taught by Shaolin monks or lay masters. Wong Yein Lam's teacher was a Shaolin monk called Sheng Loong.
    Wong Kiew Kit should stick to what he knows, like making it rain with his chi power

Wong Yan Lam, Hop Ga, Lama Pai, Lion's Roar etc all have NO CONNECTION to Shaolin. Sing LUng wasn't a shaolin monk, he never even stepped foot in a shaolin temple

what an arse
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

In speaking with my sifu, he said that there were two groups of the Ten Tigers. Wong Fei Hung belonged to the second group. As far as Hak Fu Mun and it's Iron Wire set and obvious Lama influence. It is attributed to the interaction of the Ten Tigrs. Like was mentioned they were not of the same time line, but it is said that Wong Kei Yin and Soo Hak Fu (Su So) were known friends and exchanged a great deal.

The problem with Shaolin is that everyone has a story of how their art originated from Shaolin, and that we know is not true. Although Soo Hak Fu created Hak Fu Mun Shaolin had already had some black tiger sets. Soo Hak Fu was taught these sets and other arts being exchanged within Shaolin at the time, and created his own style. While Soo Hak Fu is best known for his black tiger he was also known for being very well hated and feared. This is when he came up with his Chopsticks and Bowl weapon set, as he was a very public person.

He also had his own drunken style/sets that he incorprated into Hak Fu Mun along with his own unique Monkey sets. Hak Fu Mun while containing a Iron Wire (Tit Kid Suen) (sp) set, it's not identical in any way to Hung Kuens. So it leads you to believe it was either altered or not from Hung Kuen at all. I myself haven't learned our Iron Wire set, but my sifu says it's much more martial in intent and application than Hung Kuens. I know that other sister styles of Hung Kuen like Hung Fut and Jow Gar have Iron Wire sets also, which don't look like Hung Kuens, atleast to my experience.

Ross, If you know more could you please share any info you have on the subject? Many of us are only trying to tie large gaps together, we may not have first hand information like you in some cases. So what may seem silly to you, might be the only bits of theroy we have.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Golden Hook Li (bearded Li) happens to also be Sing Lung under a different name. Tit Kiuh Sam actually studied with him BEFORE Wong Yan Lam did
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

i can't remember where i read it

but tarm sarm beat the sh!t out of chow tai

chow tai's tai jo jui wun kwan was no match for tarm sarm

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    In speaking with my sifu, he said that there were two groups of the Ten Tigers. Wong Fei Hung belonged to the second group. As far as Hak Fu Mun and it's Iron Wire set and obvious Lama influence. It is attributed to the interaction of the Ten Tigrs. Like was mentioned they were not of the same time line, but it is said that Wong Kei Yin and Soo Hak Fu (Su So) were known friends and exchanged a great deal.

The problem with Shaolin is that everyone has a story of how their art originated from Shaolin, and that we know is not true. Although Soo Hak Fu created Hak Fu Mun Shaolin had already had some black tiger sets. Soo Hak Fu was taught these sets and other arts being exchanged within Shaolin at the time, and created his own style. While Soo Hak Fu is best known for his black tiger he was also known for being very well hated and feared. This is when he came up with his Chopsticks and Bowl weapon set, as he was a very public person.

He also had his own drunken style/sets that he incorprated into Hak Fu Mun along with his own unique Monkey sets. Hak Fu Mun while containing a Iron Wire (Tit Kid Suen) (sp) set, it's not identical in any way to Hung Kuens. So it leads you to believe it was either altered or not from Hung Kuen at all. I myself haven't learned our Iron Wire set, but my sifu says it's much more martial in intent and application than Hung Kuens. I know that other sister styles of Hung Kuen like Hung Fut and Jow Gar have Iron Wire sets also, which don't look like Hung Kuens, atleast to my experience.

Ross, If you know more could you please share any info you have on the subject? Many of us are only trying to tie large gaps together, we may not have first hand information like you in some cases. So what may seem silly to you, might be the only bits of theroy we have.

jeff
    From what I have gathered over the last couple of years if investigating, the Iron Wire set, in many forms and in many "lengths", exsists in many systems, it is NOT the "possession" of Hung ga, BUT many other systems that have the Iron wire have "borrowed" it from Hung Ga, case in point the "iron Mantis" system.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    From what I have gathered over the last couple of years if investigating, the Iron Wire set, in many forms and in many "lengths", exsists in many systems, it is NOT the "possession" of Hung ga, BUT many other systems that have the Iron wire have "borrowed" it from Hung Ga, case in point the "iron Mantis" system.
    I would think that the Tid Sin Kuen comes from Hung Ga and found it's way elsewhere. Based on information I know, it seems to me that Hung Ga is a sort of "great connector" of Southern Gung Fu. I see striking relations to all sorts of styles.
    Last edited by The Xia; 09-06-2007 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    I would think that the Tid Sin Kuen comes from Hung Ga and found it's way elsewhere. Based on information I know, it seems to me that Hung Ga is a sort of "great connector" of Southern Gung Fu. I see striking relations to all sorts of styles.
    My understanding is that Tiet Sin Kuen is not from Hung Gar but from a different style which can still be found which obviously traces back to Tit Kiu Saam. I have heard it isn't considered their most advanced form, though this is second hand info.

Hung Gar is indeed a collaborative system. Much seems to have been brought in depending on your exact lineage. Oral tradition suggests the crane was added to the tiger. More recent and likely history includes Wong Fei Hung adding components from atleast Lama/Lions Roar kung fu as well as components from Tit Kiu Saam. Lam Sai Wing added some of his family stuff and Lam Jo (again if your from that lineage) added various northern forms (link Bung Bo and others I beleive), Pek Kwar forms, and created forms influenced from other styles like the Lau Gar Kuen which I heard was influenced by a friend from the Mok family. Many of the weapons are also borrowed.
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    they say Wong Fei-Hung was well known for his use of the flying thallium. It might be a misprint.Perhaps he was well known for flying on valium.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    they say Wong Fei-Hung was well known for his use of the flying thallium. It might be a misprint.Perhaps he was well known for flying on valium.
    Good observation!
    You can never tell if a Flying Goose is doped.

It is obvious a misprint in the original. I am not sure if he was known for his single whip or the use of the ropedart.
    Does someone know?
    South Paw

Ten Tigers: that was good won, LOL :-)

South Paw: flying weight (although our single chain whip also comes from Wong Feihung)
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com