Thread: OK, so I don't hate groundwork

OK, so I don't hate groundwork

Started the submission wrestling class at my muay thai gym last night.
    I think I can finally say that I don't hate ground work.
    The grappling's a bit Catch-ish, ie freestyle & folkstyle based submission wrestling, which is right up my alley- not a huge fan of the bjj methodology.
    Probably do it at least every Wednesday.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Word. We use freestyle wrestling as a base.

I use freestyle as a base as well.

What would be the BJJ 'method' anyway?

(aside from certain strategies like the rubber guard or double wrist guard, that is...)
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

I mean the whole "guard as a preferable position" thing; I hate fighting from my back. Wrestling's got a much more aggressive mindset.
    Also, not huge on the uniforms; played judo for a little while too and just never felt comfortable in the thing.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I mean the whole "guard as a preferable position" thing; I hate fighting from my back. Wrestling's got a much more aggressive mindset.
    Also, not huge on the uniforms; played judo for a little while too and just never felt comfortable in the thing.
    I see...

I'm not much for gee training myself, and I only like to practice fighting from the back 'in case' I end up there (as it's the hardest to work from, especially being mounted, IMO).

I like greco/roman for it's development of position, esp. in standing clinch.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    BJJ practioners prefer to be on top. But they also understand that sometimes you will be faced against an opponent with greater strength or takedowns and as a consequence will be forced onto your back. If you have a good guard you may be able to pull off a submission or sweep and end up on top where you want to be!

Also, if you never practice from your back and are facing a BJJ practioner, chances are he will pass your guard and pound or submit you!

o don't worry, picked up two sweeps from the guard my first time out, which was cool.

It wasn't like the bjj class i used to go to, where half the class, and the vast majority of the submissions were in/from the guard.

I wasn't in bjj long, but i did learn escapes from mount, as well as from half-guard into full-guard; but aside from posting a hip & pulling a cro-cop, there wasn't much emphasis spent on getting back up off the back.

different strokes for different folks.

i respect the heck out of bjj but if you give me a choice between watching any super fight from Grappler's Quest or a All Japan Combat Wrestling (Catch) qualifier with scrubs; I'll take the Combat Wrestling qualifier any day of the week.