Thread: Seattle Aunkai Workshop with Akuzawa Minoru May 2,3

Seattle Aunkai Workshop with Akuzawa Minoru May 2,3

For those wondering if the specific working of internal strength can be taught with no BS, and want an alternative, direct approach to developing these unique skills, check this seminar out.

A Weekend With the Aunkai:
    A Seminar with Akuzawa Minoru.

Icho Ryu Aikibudo and Aikido Eastside are pleased to announce a weekend seminar with the Aunkai's founder, Akuzawa Minoru, on May 2nd and 3rd.
    Akuzawa Sensei has developed a unique approach to training from his extensive background in Chinese and Japanese martial arts. Rather than focusing on specific techniques, he and his students work to develop the martial body itself, thus forming a core set of body skills that the practitioner can apply to whatever form of martial art they choose. This seminar is open to all interested students regardless of what art they currently study. For more information about Akuzawa Sensei (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbvipmVYGzA) and the Aunkai, please see their website at http://www.aunkai.net/eng.

Seminar Details:
    When: May 2nd and 3rd 2009, 10am-5pm daily.
    Where: Aikido Eastside (13410 SE 32nd St. Bellevue, WA)
    How: Register online at http://christianmoses.eventwax.com/s...kai-seminar-09

This seminar is limited to 40 participants.
    Cost: The seminar fee is $180. A student rate is available, contact Chris Moses (christianmoses@hotmail.com) for the discount code.

Thanks again to George Ledyard for the generous use of his dojo, and to Rob for coordinating this. The website is up, so register now to reserve your space!

I haven't seen him in ages it seems.
    Trying to remember last time I saw him...maybe 98?
    Anyways, he knows his stuff, has great structural alignment and can apply his stuff very well.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I haven't seen him in ages it seems.
    Trying to remember last time I saw him...maybe 98?
    Anyways, he knows his stuff, has great structural alignment and can apply his stuff very well.
    Uhhh you sure it's the same guy? Cuz the first time he visited the US was only two years ago....plus as far as I know he wasn't even teaching in 98 (probably was still cracking heads over at the Shooto dojos)

Anyways, the stuff he covered at the DC seminar went way beyond "structural alignment"
    Just sayin

"Cracking heads over at the Shooto Dojo's.." Seriously? Is this where we are heading
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MastahFoSho View Post
    (probably was still cracking heads over at the Shooto dojos)
    I should probably clarify that since I was the one that started that particular rumor mill. Yes he did make the rounds to the Shooto dojos, and used to work out with Satoru Sayama's students back in the day, and yes some people got hurt, and regrettably gained kind of a negative reputation for those incidents. These days he's way passed it, and more to the point competed in Sanda on the mainland, placing first in his weight class.

The skills developed through the exercises allow for "techniques" (though I'm hesitant to call them that) which can be used in the ring. Without the body skills, the "techniques" are next to useless. If you're interested in how IS can be applied in standup, Ark can definitely fill that need.

There's an objective review by a purple belt and Army CQC instructor here:
    http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=34

for those interested on someone's take that's competent in the grappling scene.

Quote Originally Posted by MastahFoSho View Post
    Uhhh you sure it's the same guy? Cuz the first time he visited the US was only two years ago....plus as far as I know he wasn't even teaching in 98 (probably was still cracking heads over at the Shooto dojos)

Anyways, the stuff he covered at the DC seminar went way beyond "structural alignment"
    Just sayin
    You may be correct, Though the term Aunkai looks very familiar, I could have sworn I attended a seminar at the Japanese Cultural Center here in Toronto with someone from there...
    But I could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You may be correct, Though the term Aunkai looks very familiar, I could have sworn I attended a seminar at the Japanese Cultural Center here in Toronto with someone from there...
    But I could be mistaken.
    I'll have to second the other guy's post.
    He definitely hasn't been to Toronto yet, much as I'd like to take a free swipe at your endorsement :-p

Btw, the term "Aun" is pretty common in Japanese budo related stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone else used it.

Just another version of Yin/Yang, Heng/Ha, Om etc derivatives

Quote Originally Posted by Upyu View Post
    I'll have to second the other guy's post.
    He definitely hasn't been to Toronto yet, much as I'd like to take a free swipe at your endorsement :-p

Btw, the term "Aun" is pretty common in Japanese budo related stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone else used it.

Just another version of Yin/Yang, Heng/Ha, Om etc derivatives
    Probably right.
    Nevertheless, from the clips, seems very practical and function oriented.

So he went around to Shooto schools and beat everyone, but has no desire to step in the ring, right? The CMA need another "legend" like this, like we need a hole in the head.
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    So he went around to Shooto schools and beat everyone, but has no desire to step in the ring, right? The CMA need another "legend" like this, like we need a hole in the head.
    Err... dunno if you read it right, but he already did compete in Sanda, and took first in his weight class, 60kg or whatever it was on the Mainland. Thing was that back when Satoru Sayama was just starting the sougou kakuto/mma trend, there were no real official comps (Shooto existed, but they were just getting started). Pride didn't come along till a couple of years later, and K-1 didn't exist at the time. He's even said himself, if it had been a couple of years later he'd probably have gone down the K-1 route.

I'm sure if the guy were a "fraud" he'd be outed by now.

Well you did not put down dates, so a little difficult to gauge the time period.

Please do not put words in my mouth. I never accused anyone of being a "fraud." I am just leery of some of the claims people make regarding certain people and their abilities. How old is this gentleman?

And BTW I do not consider ANY San Shou on par with the skill level one would find in Shooto, K-1, nor Pride!

Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Well you did not put down dates, so a little difficult to gauge the time period.

Please do not put words in my mouth. I never accused anyone of being a "fraud." I am just leery of some of the claims people make regarding certain people and their abilities. How old is this gentleman?

And BTW I do not consider ANY San Shou on par with the skill level one would find in Shooto, K-1, nor Pride!

Cheers
    Jake
    Well, you did say "Legend" in more or less a sarcastic manner, so let's call it even.
    But I do understand the skepticism. He's almost in his mid-40s, and he was competing in his early twenties.

FWIW, he'd probably agree with you on that assessment in Shooto, K-1 etc, especially as it is now. All of those people are full time athletes, and the sport's evolved since Satoru Sayama's heydey.
    UFC was just getting started in the US, and no one really knew about it in Japan.

I saw you do Mantis on your page.
    If you're familiar with the Polish 7 star mantis guys (Mareck and crew), one of their guys, Krzysztof Kryszczuk who's won three European Sanda competitions, and some all-Euro BJJ comp trained with him a couple of times ->
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4GOEdKyee4 (guy holding the thai pad for Ark in the second half of the vid)
    was also initially pretty skeptical of his skills until he met him.