Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Does anyone speak Latin?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Er, why don't you just tattoo it in English?! Then you won't risk the ridicule of passing Roman legionnaires or 85 year-old English grammatarians...

Does it personally matter to you that it's in Latin? Nobody's gonna understand it right, which means you must want it for attention... so, if you want a tattoo as a conversation starter why not just get the word 'olm' tattooed on your forehead?

Not attacking you, I got ink myself, just don't understand your reasoning...

lol whats does that mean...olm?

well i like latin for one, i think the phrase looks better in latin (ie: cooler) but thats just my opinion. and no its not necesarily a conversation piece. the phrase by its nature means most people will ask me its meaning anyway, but its more like a reminder to myself.

i read the phrase in a Frank Herbert book. one from the Dune series, i dont remember what. it kind of spoke to me. more like hit me like bag of bricks for some reason. i suppose it could mean anything you want it to. the scene was set in the desert. when in the desert your pretty accepting of your choice to be there. you simply have to accept and survive. makes no sense to get angry or upset or lament the heat. as it applies to every day life it basically means "just go with the flow".

its not very well articulated pretentious bullsh!t on my part lol. but i always carry that with me when i'm stressed.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    FWIW I would go for 'peto'. But then I learned classical Latin: this seems a mix, I'm pretty sure 'precor' is a newer form (doesn't even look like a verb to me) and 'posco' definitely is. Plus, 'sue for' would be a good meaning to go for.

Make sure you don't get your Latins mixed up... if you get a mix of classical Latin and medieval Church Latin, hell, neither Centurions nor 12th century monks will be able to understand you!

lol i didn't take the different forms of Latin into account. good point....

languages evolve duuuh.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Melissa says don't use the translators, they are very bad.

She created an account, and as soon a Gene approves it, she is going to do the translation for you here.

ok kewl.....

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olm

Or I could translate it into Japanese for you...? (The quote, not 'olm'!) Japanese is a cool language...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Yeah, do the translation to Japanese!! My daughter speaks that too!

きっと、俺の方が上手だろう! 

I thought your daughter was like, fifteen or something?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

She is 17...speaks German, some French, self taught Japanese, and dabbles in Latin. She has also created her own language from the grammer up.

She wants to be a language teacher.

wow... you gotta lil Noam Chomsky on your hands.

Yeah, I know It's scarry.

She barely speaks English anymore. I have to learn her language to talk to her. She is teaching me by immersion. It's really cool!

I don't study as much as I should though, and I think I frustrate her a bit with my slow progress.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 09-09-2007 at 09:14 PM.

lol thats kewl as ****...how far along did she get?

i always thought about doing that but never had the patience.

does she have a working name? what language is it related to if any?

What the heck drives people to permanently brand themselves with words they can't even read?

Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht View Post

well i like latin for one.

If you like it so much why don't you go out and learn it well before getting a tattoo?

Well, with the Japanese, she self taught her self enough so that when she did go to school for it this summer, she could have taught the class.

I am really proud of her. She is super talented.

I am waiting for her to learn Mandarin ...I have a ton of stuff for her to translate for me!!
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 09-09-2007 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    She is 17...speaks German, some French, self taught Japanese, and dabbles in Latin. She has also created her own language from the grammer up.

................um, yeah.............ok............................... ...