Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 71

Thread: OT: Does anyone speak Latin?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    koko
    Posts
    2,723
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintSage View Post
    unk...It's generaly a bad idea to insult someone's child. .

    I have not done so. I will insult you as a presumptuous *****, and the other d-bag as an overly enthusiastic dope who doesn't understand languages and how they are learned (leaving alone the silly notion of 'creating' one)

  2. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    I have not done so. I will insult you as a presumptuous *****, and the other d-bag as an overly enthusiastic dope who doesn't understand languages and how they are learned (leaving alone the silly notion of 'creating' one)

    If you don't see how RD could have taken what you said as an insult, you have a serious problem.

    EDIT: BTW, J.R.R. Tolkien had the "silly" notion of creating a language...he did it, too. He actualy made more than one...but I guess he was just a nobody that was out of touch with reality...
    Last edited by SaintSage; 09-10-2007 at 12:34 AM.

  3. #48
    To perhaps put it a bit more politically, full command of a completely alien language is something that takes decades. You can grasp the core of a language much more quickly than that, sure. But to understand all the little nuances, even with immersion, is not going to come quickly. RDs daughter may well be the exception to the rule, a true prodigy, however any sensible person would at least seek several additional sources before getting it inked.

  4. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintSage View Post
    :EDIT: BTW, J.R.R. Tolkien had the "silly" notion of creating a language...he did it, too. He actualy made more than one...but I guess he was just a nobody that was out of touch with reality...
    You do realise Tolkien was one of the leading experts in the world at the time on several old european languages, publisher of non fiction works and a top lecturer in the field, right?

    Just saying, Its a stupid comparison.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Behind you!
    Posts
    6,163
    Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    She is 17...speaks German, some French, self taught Japanese, and dabbles in Latin. She has also created her own language from the grammer up.

    She wants to be a language teacher.
    Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Yeah, I know It's scarry.
    Maybe she could do teaching practice by teaching you English...? Wait on, she's a linguist not ****ing magician!

    She barely speaks English anymore. I have to learn her language to talk to her. She is teaching me by immersion. It's really cool!
    OK, inventing your own language or at least a framework of one as a linguistic exercise is a great idea, fun and productive, but are you trying to have us believe she has invented a language completely enough to be able to give you immersion in it? I think she's having you on!

    I don't study as much as I should though, and I think I frustrate her a bit with my slow progress.
    Monolingualism would be the first step toward bilingualism...!

    Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    (leaving alone the silly notion of 'creating' one)
    For a linguist, it can be a good exercise. For a 17-year-old, I think she's secretly videoing her dad babbling totally meaningless bollocks to get some kind of Youtube prize as a scholarship!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

    Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

  6. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by sunfist View Post
    You do realise Tolkien was one of the leading experts in the world at the time on several old european languages, publisher of non fiction works and a top lecturer in the field, right?

    Just saying, Its a stupid comparison.
    But he was a kid once who (by his own admission) invented languages.

    Get it now?

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    If you like it so much why don't you go out and learn it well before getting a tattoo?
    and why do you go so far out of your way to be a d!ck?

    "better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

    I dare you to make less sense!

    "Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

    "It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by sunfist View Post
    To perhaps put it a bit more politically, full command of a completely alien language is something that takes decades. You can grasp the core of a language much more quickly than that, sure. But to understand all the little nuances, even with immersion, is not going to come quickly. RDs daughter may well be the exception to the rule, a true prodigy, however any sensible person would at least seek several additional sources before getting it inked.

    believe me. its not sumthin im gonna go run out and do tomorrow. but a starting point is nice to have.

    im reminded of people who go out to get Japanese or Chinese characters tattooed on them and end up with "beef and broccoli" or "i like men" instead.

    "better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

    I dare you to make less sense!

    "Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

    "It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    If true, then I hope she'll stick with linguistics instead of branching into politics.
    lol i dont know. im partial to his politics.

    "better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

    I dare you to make less sense!

    "Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

    "It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

  10. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintSage View Post
    But he was a kid once who (by his own admission) invented languages.

    Get it now?
    At which time he was a child with no acheivments (to put it more coarsely, a nobody), whom was daydreaming and engaging in flights of fancy as all children do, not in touch with reality, one might say.

    Are you sarting to get it, mellon nin?

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,264
    why is anyone even deeming it necessary or proper to comment about what his daughter did or didn't create without actually seeing it firsthand?

    "better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

    I dare you to make less sense!

    "Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

    "It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

  12. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    A "space ghost"? Have you been writing sci-fi again or have you gone all Anglo-Saxon poetic imagery on us?

    And yeah, of course, people had been praying to the sun for centuries before the 'space ghost' popped up.
    OMG never speak to me again until u have seen at least one episode of space ghost

    u get bravo at home? are u still a uk resident ? he's on the adult swim on there

    really funny
    there are only masters where there are slaves

    www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu



    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

  13. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht View Post
    why is anyone even deeming it necessary or proper to comment about what his daughter did or didn't create without actually seeing it firsthand?
    the same reason hes deeming it ok to show off about it without showing us


    and does unkokusai ever go away ?


    EDIT: no offence RD u seem a sound enough guy
    there are only masters where there are slaves

    www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu



    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

  14. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht View Post
    why is anyone even deeming it necessary or proper to comment about what his daughter did or didn't create without actually seeing it firsthand?
    I dont know about everyone else, but im talking about Tolkien.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Behind you!
    Posts
    6,163
    Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht View Post
    im reminded of people who go out to get Japanese or Chinese characters tattooed on them and end up with "beef and broccoli" or "i like men" instead.
    Funnily enough, the Japanese translation for your quote I'd prepared for if you'd asked was exactly

    'I like men's beef and two broccoli, Number 21'

    It's an idiom.



    ... anytime!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

    Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •