Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Does anyone speak Latin?

OT: Does anyone speak Latin?

i want this quote translated.

"No one begs the sun for mercy."

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

cjurakpt Guest
    http://www.translation-guide.com/fre...glish&to=Latin

nemo peto sol solis pro misericordia

seems about right...

Just E-mailed my daughter, she should have no problem with this, being the language nerd that she is.

lol thanks. i wanna make sure its absolutely correct before i permanently ink it on myself. i translated myself but i thought best to ask too.

that stuff dont come off. (well cheaply or easily atleast)

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Why don't people beg the sun for mercy?

Er, why don't you just tattoo it in English?! Then you won't risk the ridicule of passing Roman legionnaires or 85 year-old English grammatarians...

Does it personally matter to you that it's in Latin? Nobody's gonna understand it right, which means you must want it for attention... so, if you want a tattoo as a conversation starter why not just get the word 'olm' tattooed on your forehead?

Not attacking you, I got ink myself, just don't understand your reasoning...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

beg is the word i was having trouble with.

it seems like it could be posco, precor, or peto i dont have a clue which is the proper one for the usage i want.

peto : to ask for, beg, request, demand / to sue for.
    posco : to beg.
    precor : to beseech, pray, beg, entreat, invoke.

http://arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Why don't people beg the sun for mercy?
    I give up. What's the punchline?

Anyway, I do. Japanese summers are brutal.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

People routinely beg a space ghost and his son (but it's not really his son, it's a 1/3 of the space ghost) for mercy. I don't think the sun is much different. Except that it really exists. Which means people probably ask it for all kinds of things. Including mercy, from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht View Post
    beg is the word i was having trouble with.

it seems like it could be posco, precor, or peto i dont have a clue which is the proper one for the usage i want.

peto : to ask for, beg, request, demand / to sue for.
    posco : to beg.
    precor : to beseech, pray, beg, entreat, invoke.

http://arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/
    FWIW I would go for 'peto'. But then I learned classical Latin: this seems a mix, I'm pretty sure 'precor' is a newer form (doesn't even look like a verb to me) and 'posco' definitely is. Plus, 'sue for' would be a good meaning to go for.

Make sure you don't get your Latins mixed up... if you get a mix of classical Latin and medieval Church Latin, hell, neither Centurions nor 12th century monks will be able to understand you!

http://latinforum.org/

They'll translate it for you, and it's more accurate than a Kung Fu forum.

Wait till my daughter looks it up. she will figure it out right.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    People routinely beg a space ghost and his son (but it's not really his son, it's a 1/3 of the space ghost) for mercy. I don't think the sun is much different. Except that it really exists. Which means people probably ask it for all kinds of things. Including mercy, from time to time.
    A "space ghost"? Have you been writing sci-fi again or have you gone all Anglo-Saxon poetic imagery on us?

And yeah, of course, people had been praying to the sun for centuries before the 'space ghost' popped up.

people believe that tiny little magnets come together in different ratios to make stuff, and that some german guy who failed highschool was right about there being a limit to how fast something can go.

Anything sounds crazy if you word it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    They'll translate it for you, and it's more accurate than a Kung Fu forum.
    Meh. Omnes viae Kung-fuforam du****!

EDIT: WTF, automatic Classics Filter - I like it!

OK, should be 'Omnes viae Kungfuforam duminge' or a four-letter variation thereof!
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 09-09-2007 at 07:50 PM.