Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Why I "ignore list" people

Blog Entries

OT: Why I "ignore list" people

It was asked in another thread why I ignore listed such and such a person. I'll explain here so I can link this thread to my signature. Kind of an FAQ.

So here goes:

I generally put people on my ignore list who can't play nice, who want to call me names or in some way verbally insult me. I can't remember every specific ignorelister's offense but it usually has something to do with an insult. (Occasionally I do "list' people that are just obvious trolls or obviously mental.)

I could reply like I have in the past, but honestly flame wars are a waste of my time. They might be entertaining to spectators but they require too much effort for basically no reward. There is no "winner" in a flame war, only two losers.

So in my opinion the mature answer is just to disengage. Insult me all you like, I'm not going to see it, I'm not going to engage you, because its a lose-lose situation.
    I let you know it in my signature file so you don't waste your time insulting me.

I'm about win-win situations. I bounce ideas off of you, you give me feedback, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and I will take it to heart and to mind. We both learn, we both win. Contrary to what some have said, I don't ignore list people just for disagreeing with me, it is usually because of some other behavior.

We have an amazing tool here with Kung Fu Forum. Its unprecedented that so many martial practitioners can get together here and interact. Not everyone is going to get along through the process....that's OK but I think we all can learn more if we keep the drama and flame wars to a minimum.

Cheers

Fu-Pow

P.S. Anyone is always welcome to contact me off the forum at fu_pow@hotmail.com if they have cooled off and/or grown up and they want to play nice. I have taken people off my ignore list in the past and probably will again.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 09-10-2007 at 08:29 AM.

I haven't tried this feature yet...maybe I should... but why do you list these people in your sig?
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

The signature thing seems a tad petty. Ignore them, but don't taunt them with it.

Don’t you sometimes get just a little curious what these people said in some posts? I would never be able to manage such a list. The curiosity would just kill me.

I suppose you gain from not reading what the others have to say, but you losing out on some real cool knowledge that are being shared. Allot of the people on your list are some of my favourite posters. Usually people who posts I look out for.

But I respect your opinion and ways, however peculiar it may seem to me.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Don’t you sometimes get just a little curious what these people said in some posts? I would never be able to manage such a list. The curiosity would just kill me.

I suppose you gain from not reading what the others have to say, but you losing out on some real cool knowledge that are being shared. Allot of the people on your list are some of my favourite posters. Usually people who posts I look out for.

But I respect your opinion and ways, however peculiar it may seem to me.

there is a "view post" button
    Bless you

The signature thing seems a tad petty. Ignore them, but don't taunt them with it.
    Maybe a little... but it also seems like a good way to let someone know not to waste their time talking to him directly and expecting a response

I pretty much reserve my ignore list for those very few people who have absolutely nothing worthwhile to say about anything. There's still some people I think are *****s, but even then, they might still have some interesting info and discussions.

Hey, im on there now, sweet

Hmmm,

yenhoi, fatherdog, water dragon, merryprankster,

some of the most knowledgeable, sharing and generally nice guys on here.

OK, I can get lkmfdc! But he still has a lot of knowledge even if he can be an ass.

How on earth did Knifefighter and Unkokusai manage to survive?!

Makes me wonder just how little of a sense of humour you've got though.

The ignore button has always seemed childish and weak to me. If you want to ignore what someone says, ignore them! If you use the button it means when they do say something interesting or relevant you don't know!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Plus Fatherdog comes around like Santa, once a year or so, and wasn't notintheface banned?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

merryprankster,

above is one name that i definately disagree with as being "nice". MP is about as nice as getting stung in the inner thigh by a scorpion as i slept one night and was rudely awoken by at 3frekin 30AM. (yeah it happened recently, country livin, what ya gonna do).

As for the whole Iggy thing. You can just as easily ignore screen names here when you are logged on, however, i will just BET that people here who Iggy others will STILL come to the website WITHOUT logging on and see what the "ignored" have written. Ya know you've done it, dont deny it.
    which is why i dont ignore anyone, regardless.
    Yes we have quite an amazing tool here with KF forums. We can vent and keyboard box and fight and flame HERE, rather than go out and do it in person where people are most likely to get hurt bad, arrested OR Post some dumba$$ low life white trash video on You tube and then post threads about it here Wasting Bandwidth can be a good thing i think. We get out our psychological babble here and "empty the cup" so to speak for the REAL WORLD where we engage in semi decent interpersonal relationships with our fellow man and woman. Then when we get home we can hang the mask on the hook by the door and express how we truly feel in a pretend world of fantasy blah blah blah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it just goes on and on.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post

OK, I can get lkmfdc!
    "can you feel the love tonight....:
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    merryprankster,

above is one name that i definately disagree with as being "nice". MP is about as nice as getting stung in the inner thigh by a scorpion ...
    Well, of course opinions will differ, and I know you regularly have run-ins with MP because he's a true liberal and you're dirty stinkin hippy so you think he's a conservative... but you know, he's nice to everyone else!

(Of course, I'm only joking - I've no idea if you're really dirty and stinkin or not!)

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    "can you feel the love tonight....:
    Wait, that's not two pillows!

Talking

BEST THREAD EVER.

And you're right TWS, I'm not all that nice to you. But it's mostly because I have little tolerance for sheer @sshattery, and baby, you take the cake. Now, pucker up and blow daddy a kiss, before he stings you on your inner thigh again.

And I know exactly why I'm on fu-pow's ignore list: i call him on bull****. Here's the bottom line folks; i will never tell you how to do a form, or how to fight with a weapon. Heck, I'm even one of those people who approaches BJJ from the perspective that it's a sport, and quite possibly one of the gayest looking in the world.

Which, if you think about it, might explain why I sting TWS on the thigh.

But i've got over a decade of grappling experience, with training in three different arts, and the credentials through tournament victories, at the RIGHT tournaments, to make it clear that on grappling issues, i know what i'm talking about. Just like I wouldn't dream of telling you how to do your art, don't tell me how to grapple, or "deal with a grappler."

Fu-pow just gets tired of being told he's full of **** on that issue. Pretty simple.

Incidentally, as a point of reference, TWS managed to get into multiple ascerbic arguments with guys like apoweyn and braden; two of the nicest, most respectful guys this forum has ever missed.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli