Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do the Shaolin Monks still tour?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Shaolin Warriors just sold out the Golden State Theater with minimal advertising. I hear this tour is selling out everywhere. We'll see how it does in Houston.
    selling out ...uh oh..if it sell out in houston..that mean i must get my tickets now...but i dnt know if i am going to austin or stayin in houston..lol....

Shaolin fusion shows

There's a growing trend in Chinese theater to incorporate Shaolin performances with general shows. Historically, it was very common for martial arts to accompany acrobatics and circus acts, but performing monks is sort of new.

Here's an example:
    MEANWHILE spectacular circus skills will be on show at Billingham’s Forum Theatre later this month.

THE CHINESE STATE CIRCUS will bring its action-packed show to the stage from Thursday, January 24, to Saturday, January 26.

The two-hour show combines the martial arts warriors from the Shaolin temple, artists from Peking Opera and acrobatic stars of the Chinese State Circus.

There will also be back-flipping acrobats spiralling through rotating hoops and an array of beautiful plate-spinning oriental divas. Further spice comes from candelabra balancing knotted contortionists, Chinese pole balancing and a lusciously set and costumed performance of the Lion Dance.

Tickets £19, concessions £16, details 01642 522633.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A new Shaolin Show coming to Broadway...

... but it doesn't look like it's from Shaolin. Hard to tell.
    Martial Arts-Fueled Soul of Shaolin Will Play Broadway's Marquis in January 2009
    By Kenneth Jones
    23 Oct 2008

China on Broadway, a partnership between Nederlander Worldwide and the Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group, will present Soul of Shaolin — a spectacle involving dance, acrobatics and martial arts — at Broadway's Marquis Theatre for a limited engagement Jan. 13-31, 2009, Variety reported.

An opening night is set for Jan. 15. Soul centers on a boy raised by monks to become a Shaolin kung fu master, according to the trade. This marks the first time the People's Republic of China will play producer on Broadway.

A cast of 33 Chinese artists is expected. The production will play the Marquis between engagements of Irving Berlin's White Christmas (closing Jan. 4, 2009) and 9 to 5: The Musical (starting previews April 7, 2009).

Through its affiliate, Nederlander New Century (the first foreign joint venture approved by the Chinese Ministry of Culture to participate in theatrical presentation and theatre management), Nederlander Worldwide recently presented 42nd Street, the first Broadway show to tour throughout The People's Republic of China.

Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment, founded and managed by Robert Nederlander, Jr., a member of the third generation of the Nederlander entertainment family, has been involved in a variety of live entertainment projects including the expansion of the Nederlander operations into China, the development of an Off-Broadway theatre circuit and various theatrical production projects.

Nederlander New Century has established a circuit of first-tier legitimate theatres in major cities throughout China including Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, Wuhan, Hangzhou, Ningbo and other major Chinese markets for the purpose of presenting a series of world-renowned Broadway musicals.

In February 2008, Chinese and American cultural partners presented The Dream of the Red Chamber — The Dance, a theatrical dance event celebrating the Chinese New Year, for a New York City premiere at the Rose Theater in the Time Warner Center. It was presented by Shanghai City Dance, Ltd., Shanghai International Cultural & Communication Association and Eastern Shanghai International Cultural Film & Television Group in association with Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment, LLC.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A little more soul

Shaolin on Broadway. I found this site for HuiGuang - Shaolin Kung Fu, which is from the same production company (surely the same tour). They list Songshan Shaolin Temple Kungfu Studio as their team source - I'm not sure which school that is (there's been so many changes there recently) but they claim it's only 700m from the temple and there's not much left there now. All the private schools have been relocated to Dengfeng.

BWW TV EXCLUSIVE SNEAK PEEK: SOUL OF SHAOLIN
    Thursday, October 30, 2008; Posted: 06:10 PM - by BWW News Desk

Nederlander Worldwide Productions and The Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group will partner to present the China on Broadway production of "Soul of Shaolin," a new Chinese martial arts spectacle, which will begin previews on Tuesday, January 13 and open Thursday, January 15 at Broadway's Marquis Theatre (1535 Broadway). "Soul of Shaolin" will play a limited engagement of 24 performances in celebration of the Lunar New Year* - the year of the Ox.

Direct from appearances in Sydney, Australia; Macau, People's Republic of China; and at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, comes a theatrical event that is unparalleled on Broadway. "Soul of Shaolin" tells the story of a boy named Hui Guang who is separated from his mother by war. Hui Guang is found and taken in by the legendary monks of the Shaolin temple and raised among them. As he becomes a man, Hui Gang becomes an accomplished master of Shaolin Kung Fu and embarks on a spectacular journey of self-discovery.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the first time a production from the People's Republic of China has appeared on Broadway.

"Soul of Shaolin" will feature 33 Chinese nationals who are highly skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu, the breathtaking martial art that has been featured in such films as Fearless (starring international superstar Jet Li) and Shaolin Soccer, both of which were recent US box office successes.

Shaolin Kung Fu is the collection of martial arts that is associated with the monks of the Shaolin temple in China's Henan province. This particular style is characterized by almost superhuman displays of strength and agility, but is tempered with the monks' philosophical belief in training the mind, body, and Soul.

TICKETING INFORMATION

Tickets to "Soul of Shaolin" go on sale October 31, 2008 and will be available at Ticketmaster.com and at all Ticketmaster outlets. The Marquis Theatre Box Office (1535 Broadway) will open December 22, 2008. Tickets will be $95, $75, and $50. Student Rush tickets will be available for $30 day of the show at the Marquis Theatre Box Office with a valid ID, two tickets per student pending availability.
    P.S. Huiguang was one of Batuo's disciples. Batuo was the monk that Shaolin Temple was built for...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hi Gene,

As for Huiguang, that was the show that Xing Ying, Yan Feng, Ryan Zemel, and myself went to Tennessee to go and meet the monks and they are all from Shaolin Temple. We met the producers of the show and they were very interested at the time about touring it around the country, they kept asking us if we thought a show like that would make money in the U.S. because I think they were getting disappointed by the small crowds around Dollywood. It was a good show, we really enjoyed it.

Interesting sha0lin1, very interesting

Well, they've made Broadway. That's awesome. Do you think it has legs for Broadway? How does it compare to some of the other shows like Wheel of Life or Shaolin Wind?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well from the link you posted it looks like they have added a liitle more to the production of it. It was no where near as visually stunning when we saw it. I did notice that the monks that we were hanging out with, the main characters, are still in the show. I thought the show was awesome, but then again, I am biased. I don't think that it really compares to Wheel of Life but it was a good show with plenty of Martial Arts. When we saw it they had a lot of Traditional Shaolin in it but now they have probably put some more Wushu in there I'll bet. Now that it is on Broadway I hope that they have a better living situation for the monks then they had them in in Tennessee. I am sure the monks are happy they are out of Sevierville, they seemed really bored there. It was a show worth seeing that is probably even better now then what it was back when we saw it. I am sure they have tweaked it, like I said the producers were very interested in what we thought about their show and if it would stand up touring the country and making money on it of course. Next time I see Yan Feng I will tell him about it. I am sure he will be happy for his brothers because most of them were his classmates at Shaolin.

Check out our new e-zine article...

...by our very own doug maverick...err, I mean Doug Ferguson.

Soul of Shaolin – Shaolin Comes to Broadway by Douglas Ferguson
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Happy Shaolin Legend

And I thought Shaolin Wind was a poor choice for a show title.
    ‘Happy Shaolin Legend’ at Genting Highlands, Malaysia
    India Infoline News Service / Mumbai Dec 31, 2008 11:56
    The Show features Monks performing the age-old Shaolin Martial Art

The fun never stops at Genting, City of Entertainment, perched on the top of cool, breezy Genting Highlands. The entertainment city now brings to you the legends of SHAOLIN. Shaolin Kung-Fu is undeniably one of the most well-known martial arts in the world. Its popularity has survived tumultuous history, sprawling countless legendary tales that firmly etched their marks on Chinese civilization.

The foundation and spirit of Shaolin can be traced to the 5th century and is centered in the Buddhist teachings of an Indian teacher Bodhidharma. Today, the Shaolin temple and Shaolin Kung-Fu are important heritage assets that play a significant role in promoting the ancient Chinese culture to the world. The 'Happy Shaolin Legend', will be staged at Arena of Stars, Genting Highlands from 27 January 2009 until 2 February 2009.

Featuring performances by monks from Shaoshan Temple, the show is not just an ordinary martial art performance; but a professionally choreographed theatrical performance which will be appreciated by all levels of the society. Genting also offers visitors a plethora of activities and indoor and outdoor theme parks and a feast of wide range of delicious food at its many restaurants.

The First World Plaza indoor theme park / shopping complex features a series of fun rides and six theme areas named after famous cities and landmarks from around the world - France (Champs Elysees), England (London), Italy (Venice), America (Times Square and Universal Walk), Switzerland (Swiss Alps) and Malaysia (Genting Walk). The Snow World features a log cabin, an igloo, toboggan slides and a snowy play area.

It's cold in here, so remember to wear warm clothing. Children will surely love the Rainforest Splash Pool, although the air is chilly, the pool is filled with warm water. Other attractions are Genting Sky Venture, the only free-fall skydiving simulator in Asia, and Genting X-pedition Wall, an international-standard rock-climbing wall stretching to 15 metres in height, with a 6-metre overhang. There is also bowling, a video arcade, a cineplex and many more fun rides. Join us as Malaysia’s Genting Highlands bring you Shaolin Kung-Fu for this Chinese New Year season!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We have a winner

Our Soul of Shaolin Prize package has been awarded. See our winner announcement in our TCMedia forum.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I thought this was odd.

Does it still count when one of the monks is from L.A.? We're lousy with monks in the S.F. Bay Area. They demo all the time. Want to see a Shaolin monk demo? Come by our school sometime. We're doing a demo at Cupertino Square every Saturday in Feb for CNY. Yan Fei, the disrobed Shaolin monk that I train under currently, will surely be demonstrating. And it's free.
    Shaolin monks to display prowess at two local martial-arts academies
    By Marcia Manna (Contact)
    Union-Tribune Community News Writer
    2:00 a.m. January 29, 2009
    Giuseppe Aliotta taught a class at the West Coast Martial Arts Academy in Encinitas. He has taught adults and children at the academy since 2003.

NORTH COUNTY — Two giant Chinese dragon heads, positioned over the doorway of the West Coast Martial Arts Academy in Encinitas, grinned down at parents last week.

Moms and dads packed the room and watched intently as instructor Giuseppe Aliotta conducted a martial-arts training program for youngsters.

As Aliotta shouted commands, prompting each child to hit a black cushion with a fist, one mesmerized father punched the air in front of him.

A goal of the training is to master qi gong – pronounced “chee-gong” – a Chinese discipline that focuses the body's energy.

“I have been going to China since 1997,” Aliotta said. “Last year I was made a disciple by Abbot Shi Yong Xin at the Shaolin Temple, the center of martial arts.”

Shaolin monks are considered to be qi gong experts, and Aliotta has invited four – one from Los Angeles and three from China – to visit his martial-arts academies in Encinitas and 4S Ranch near Rancho Bernardo.

The public is invited to watch the monks demonstrate skills requiring intense concentration, such as throwing a needle so that it penetrates a pane of glass, brick-breaking techniques and breaking poles over the arms, legs and head.

The monks will be at the Encinitas school Friday and at the 4S Ranch school Monday.

“We are excited about the monks coming here,” said Bam Angeles, an Encinitas resident. Angeles enrolled his 9-year-old son, Zane, when he was still in kindergarten.

“Another parent told me there are 22 karate schools in the Encinitas area,” Angeles said. “He researched all of them and recommended this place. Zane is a second-degree brown belt.”

Aliotta, 35, was born in New York, the oldest of four boys, and trained to be a wrestler and boxer.

“I came from a happy Italian family,” Aliotta said. “My brothers are Francesco, Vincenzo and Sinibaldo, and we were picked on because of our names.

“As a little kid, I watched kung fu movies on television. I saw the temple and the monks training and I thought, 'One day I want to visit the place where martial arts was born.' It took me 26 years.”

Although he competed as a wrestler at the Empire State Games in New York, Aliotta said he soon realized there was “more to life than punching and kicking.” He said martial arts require reconnecting mind, body and spirit.

By age 19, Aliotta had earned three black belts in separate martial-arts disciplines. He began training teachers to open schools on the East Coast and moved to San Diego six years ago.

“We can teach you to be an effective fighter, but we promote martial arts in a manner that enhances the quality of life, so you feel healthier and breathe better,” Aliotta said.

Aliotta has taught adults and children at the West Coast Martial Arts Academy in Encinitas since it opened in 2003. He opened his second school in 4S Ranch last year and trains all teachers at that facility.

When the monks come to visit, they will stay with Aliotta, his wife and their three children at their home in Leucadia.

“It's going to be crazy with the kids,” Aliotta said. “We have twin girls, 3 months old, and a boy, 2. My wife is Chinese, so she'll make Chinese food. It will be quite an honor.”

DETAILS
    Shaolin Monks of China, West Coast Martial Arts Academy, Encinitas
    When: 4 p.m. Friday
    Where: 463 Encinitas Blvd., Encinitas
    Phone: (760) 942-5425
    West Coast Martial Arts Academy, 4S Ranch
    When: 4 p.m. Monday
    Where: 10890-B Thornmint Road, San Diego
    Phone: (858) 451-5425
    Tickets: $20 donation requested
    Online: westcoastmaa.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shi Yan Fei demo

Gene, any chance one of the students can post a video of one the demo's? I Really wanted to see Shi Yan Fei. Well as for the news article I think your editorial in the lasy shaolin issue said it all. There are so many that frequent Shaolin now it's impossible to keep up with who are lay disciples.
    Last edited by Songshan; 01-29-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling...i need a new keyboard =]

I don't know about the upcoming demos

Yan Fei demoed at our Benefit for Quake Victims, but he did a mantis form. He was born in Shandong, so he's got some roots in mantis.

For some really odd reason, some of my classmates have posted some informal forms by Yan Fei on Youtube under the name "Sifu Bond". There's some mantis, some baji, some wushu, only a little Songshan Shaolin, Songshan. They are really informal demos. In many of them he is slowing down to illustrate the moves so the students can use them for reference.

I found a few for you.
    Tongbei
    Lohan
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Songshan View Post
    There are so many that frequent Shaolin now it's impossible to keep up with who are lay disciples.
    i think it has been like that for some time. ven. shi suxi was said to have over 30,000 disciples from all over the world.

on top of this, you have to keep track of all those who say they are secular disciples, or more. plenty of those too!

Thanks Gene

That's true. I guess there is no formal record kept on lay disciples?

Thanks for the linking the vids Gene