Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wine for dit da jao

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    ...Sorry to hear your religion is getting in the way of training.

Be well, train hard
    I didn't say that it was. Explain please.

Die Da Jiu

Probably not the best way of stating that...

A PM might clarify the issue.

Not sure if hot jiu's are better than cold ones; they are for some things...

Vinegar is added to many jiu's because it is a medium thought to be good for the tendons. The proportion that I use is generally 1 cup per gallon of jiu. You'd have to soak in vinegar an awful long time to soften bones, by which I mean that the flesh would have to peel off the bones first...

Why not use rubbing alcohol (available at the drug store) and dilute the alcohol content to 50% if your religion prohibits you from buying drinking alcohol? You'll get the same results.

Best,

Steve

A cup to a gallon is not that much.

I thought you meant that the whole formula would be simmered in vinegar. Too caustic for one thing as well as having even more of a chance to break down into acetone...

Thanks for the clarification.

Neb,

You mentioned that due to your religion you are not supposed to buy booze "Since it is forbidden for me as a muslim to drink or purchase drinking alcohol, I'm wondering if this would be useable to make Jow with."

Hence my comment that your religion is getting in the way of using the basic medicine that is needed to insure you have no injuries and long term damage from training. It was not a slight only an observation to what you posted.

Can you purchase premade liniments that have been turned from potable to non potable with the addition of the herbs?? I make and sell dit da jow for injuries and Iron Palm training. I use rice wine as a base but its not drinkable in any sense of the word after being treated.

Be well, train hard
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post
    Probably not the best way of stating that...

A PM might clarify the issue.

Not sure if hot jiu's are better than cold ones; they are for some things...

Vinegar is added to many jiu's because it is a medium thought to be good for the tendons. The proportion that I use is generally 1 cup per gallon of jiu. You'd have to soak in vinegar an awful long time to soften bones, by which I mean that the flesh would have to peel off the bones first...

Why not use rubbing alcohol (available at the drug store) and dilute the alcohol content to 50% if your religion prohibits you from buying drinking alcohol? You'll get the same results.

Best,

Steve

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. But, can Bay Rum be another alternative? Trying to cover all bases so to speak.

I thought you meant that the whole formula would be simmered in vinegar. Too caustic for one thing as well as having even more of a chance to break down into acetone...

Neb,

You mentioned that due to your religion you are not supposed to buy booze "Since it is forbidden for me as a muslim to drink or purchase drinking alcohol, I'm wondering if this would be useable to make Jow with."

Hence my comment that your religion is getting in the way of using the basic medicine that is needed to insure you have no injuries and long term damage from training. It was not a slight only an observation to what you posted.

Can you purchase premade liniments that have been turned from potable to non potable with the addition of the herbs?? I make and sell dit da jow for injuries and Iron Palm training. I use rice wine as a base but its not drinkable in any sense of the word after being treated.

Be well, train hard
    Kind of figured that but it's better when explained by you. Incomplete thoughts that are voiced or written can cause conflict. Someone else would probably have not wanted to hear what you meant.

Thanks for the input. What other premade liniments are there that can be used? Like I said in my previous post, trying to cover all bases.

Die Da Jiu

Actually, that's what I use. Hokpaiwes is the one with whom you have some concern as he was the one who posted originally about using vinegar in jows.

What's a "hot" jow? Is it something that simmers over a heat source or does it have hot herbs? How big is the pot? 5 gallons? 10 gallons? Is the jow used to limber muscles before training or to treat injuries or both?

Re. Bay Rum: Is it traditional bay rum? This is from Wikipedia:

"Bay rum is the name of a cologne or an after-shave.

It is a distillate that was originally made from rum and the leaves or berries of the West Indian Bay tree, Pimenta racemosa. Other ingredients may be citrus and spice oils.

Bay rum was quite popular in the early 20th century; while still in use, it is no longer common.

Other uses include as under-arm deodorant and as a fragrance for shaving soap."

I would guess that you would need to know the ingredients before you went ahead and added herbs for jow. I don't know the herbal nature of the leaves and berries of the West Indian bay tree, or what spice oils are added, but if they are of a "hot" nature then you would need to balance them out with cooler herbs or your jiu would be unsuitable for acute injuries.

My best guess is that you're better off using rubbing alcohol as per above for a jiu and using bay rum for eveyday use if you like it as a cologne.

Speaking of which: I'd like to try it. Wikipeida says that it is no longer common. Are there any traditional brands that you recommend? If it's a home-made product, I'll trade you a bottle of my homemade jiu for a bottle of your bay rum...

Best,

Steve

I am looking for a good dit da jao recipe. Does anyone recommend one?

I'd like to try this sometime. Can you be a little more specific on the amount of rice for a five gallon carboy? "good amount of pure honey" like a cup or 2 cups?

Reply]
    I make enough rice so after it has been boiled to goo it comes to 25-30% of the 5 gallon container.

Do you add yeast or will it ferment on its own?

Reply]
    I useually add yeast, becasue I like the Champagne yeasts due to the higher alcohol tolerances. It WILL ferment on it's own, but doing it natural like that gives an uncertian alcohol tolerance.

The highr the tolerance, the greater concentration of alcohol you have before the yeast dies off.

The straines of yeast used for champagne are good to 18%, where as other yests are only good to 12-14% Others still are around 16%

If you buy a specific strain, you know exactly what you can end up with.

When you use the natural yeast from the surrounding air, it's anyones guess.

To ferment naturally, boil your rice till it is goo, and leave uncovered out in the open for a few hours. Then cover it for a few more. Finnally add that to your fermentation barell, and mix in a cup or two of honey (For 5 gallons). I generally just eye ball this stage, as my purpose of the honey is just to more rapidy grow the yeast to a level where it is fermenting the rice on a large scale. Most peole just use sugar. You can do without, but it takes an extra week that way.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by dougadam View Post
    I am looking for a good dit da jao recipe. Does anyone recommend one?
    I make and sell 6 formula. Take a look via my website link in my signature.

Be well, train hard

to the top

Quote Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post
    Actually, that's what I use. Hokpaiwes is the one with whom you have some concern as he was the one who posted originally about using vinegar in jows.

What's a "hot" jow? Is it something that simmers over a heat source or does it have hot herbs? How big is the pot? 5 gallons? 10 gallons? Is the jow used to limber muscles before training or to treat injuries or both?

Re. Bay Rum: Is it traditional bay rum? This is from Wikipedia:

"Bay rum is the name of a cologne or an after-shave.

It is a distillate that was originally made from rum and the leaves or berries of the West Indian Bay tree, Pimenta racemosa. Other ingredients may be citrus and spice oils.

Bay rum was quite popular in the early 20th century; while still in use, it is no longer common.

Other uses include as under-arm deodorant and as a fragrance for shaving soap."

I would guess that you would need to know the ingredients before you went ahead and added herbs for jow. I don't know the herbal nature of the leaves and berries of the West Indian bay tree, or what spice oils are added, but if they are of a "hot" nature then you would need to balance them out with cooler herbs or your jiu would be unsuitable for acute injuries.

My best guess is that you're better off using rubbing alcohol as per above for a jiu and using bay rum for eveyday use if you like it as a cologne.

Speaking of which: I'd like to try it. Wikipeida says that it is no longer common. Are there any traditional brands that you recommend? If it's a home-made product, I'll trade you a bottle of my homemade jiu for a bottle of your bay rum...

Best,

Steve
    Wikipedia is starting to be unreliable as a source of information. I've seen it with other things that I've looked up, and now this is another example.

Bay Rum is VERY commonly used among West Indians and Hispanics. It isn't used as a cologne, some people use it as an aftershave since is cools and helps heal the skin. My father used to use it when he cut my hair as a kid (buzz cut).

It's also used by applying directly to the skin and rubbing it in when reducing fevers (also put on a cloth ad tied on the head). The smell was good as a sort of aroma therapy for the sick person as well. Rub it on the chest and neck.

Ultimately, it's a non-drinkable alcohol, so I asked about it's use for making Dit Da Jow.
    Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar; 09-23-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Bay Rum

Do you have a list of the ingredients? If it's cooling in nature it may not be just due to the alcohol evaporating - the herbs may have cooling properties as well.
    A western (or perhaps, West Indian) herbalist might be able to tell you the properties of the herbs.

For example, this site lists properties of the West Indian Bay Rum leaf after it has been distilled with rum and water:

http://www.herbbee.com/essential-oil...st-indian-bay/

Easy to see why it is used as an aftershave - several of the chemicals have antibacterial properties, and one has anti-inflamitory properties.

Best,

Steve

dit da

Hi

another question, is there a major difference in outcome if the herbs are not finely ground, I ground them to the best of my ability but did not have a proper grinder/pestel.

cheers

Greetings,

Such good info on moonshine!

I had a good internal/external jow that I prepared two different ways.

The first way was done with Kao Liang Chiew (a very potent rice wine). That combined with the herbs over 6 months made a very potent brew. The effect was that the wine caused the energy to go to my head, generating a tumescent feeling when consumed.

The second way was with Johnnie Walker Black over 6 months. The energy circulated through my body much better than the previous one when consumed. I immediately gravitated to this one for external use.

mickey

Die Da Jiu

Quote Originally Posted by deeperthantao View Post
    Hi

another question, is there a major difference in outcome if the herbs are not finely ground, I ground them to the best of my ability but did not have a proper grinder/pestel.

cheers
    Not sure. I've never bothered to grind the herbs down finely. I generally use a coarse grind or don't grind them at all but just break them up into small pieces. Does anyone know if herbs start to lose their potency if they've been ground fine and exposed to air for a short amount of time?

Best,

Steve

p.s. Rik - Jericho Cider Mill will provide unpasteurized cider for apple jack so long as you bring a 5 gallon carboy specifically for that purpose. You need to call them first and find out when they are pressing.