Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kajukenbo Hop Gar

Kajukenbo Hop Gar

http://www.hygeia-design.com/Kaido/

Hello yall, here's some pictures of techniques from my stepdad's deceased teacher Alexander "Kaido" Polintain. These are from an article he did with Grandmaster David Chin back in 1975. I hope you like these...I notice there are some typo's in the actual article

thats some pretty cool stuff thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    thats some pretty cool stuff thanks for the post.
    thanks man I'm working on a tribute site to Kaido, so stay tuned...I got like twenty minutes of footage, then I'm gonna film me doing his basics with some application...should be sweet.

Hi, Diego.

Did you ever find the other magazine article you were looking for?

This one has always puzzled me because I practice Ng Yim Ming Hop Ga and I could never tell where this kind of movement came from. The poses are right, but the transitions seem awkward. Probably just a matter of poor editing by the magazine staff. Was this before he met Dacascos?

Be well.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Hi, Diego.

This one has always puzzled me because I practice Ng Yim Ming Hop Ga and I could never tell where this kind of movement came from. The poses are right, but the transitions seem awkward. Probably just a matter of poor editing by the magazine staff. Was this before he met Dacascos?

Be well.
    John
    This is the only history of Kaido I have...and it's in french...I haven't done french since elementary school Have you heard of a W.C. Wong out of San Francisco?.

"Voyons maintenant les antecedents de Kaido. Celui-ci est ne le juillet 1948 aux Philippines. A 13 ans il commence son entrainment, a 20 ans il s'etait deja entraine avec les meilleurs instructeurs sur deux continents.
    Bein que le KaJuKenBo soit sa specialite, il a egalement etudie le "White Crane Kung Fu" avec le maitre Harry Ng. Ming et les techniques de la "mante religieuse" (kung fu) avec Sifu W.C. Wong a San Francisco. Tout en etant un adepte du "style lent" chinois, Kaido etudia egalement le karate burokukai sous la direction de Richard Kim de San Francisco et le Shorin Ryu avec Latino Gonzalez aux Philippines. C'est du professeur Adriano qu'il recut les enseignements du KajuKenbo en Hawaii."

Kaido receiving 5'th dan in KajuKenbo from Emperado in the mid 70's I beleive.

http://www.geocities.com/tibetankung..._emperado.html
    Last edited by diego; 09-17-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Hi, Diego.

Be well.
    John

http://www.hygeia-design.com/Kaido/s...ign.com/Kaido/

right leg weighted crane stance, left twist step and right side heel kick to his knee...Kaido uses lots of twist stance when he kicks like how the Thai's do.

http://www.hygeia-design.com/Kaido/s...ato%20005.html

here his right leg drops back for cross stance, then pivot on right heel and unwind counterclockwise into left twist stance. Right steal step into right cross stance and backfist, and pivot on right heel again and unwind counterclockwise into left bow stance and right upper cut to gut level or right overhead to temple.

here Kaido is being stylistic...after the kick he poses and then unwinds...I was never taught to strike go ongaurd and then follow up lol.

http://www.hygeia-design.com/Kaido/s...ato%20006.html

here he shuffle steps...right foot steps off line from the attack and left foot plants and right arm hits...all one motion it's a shuffle step, not a walking step.

http://www.hygeia-design.com/Kaido/s...ato%20007.html

here you shuffle forward and upcut to gut and then shuffle in and around and upcut groin....kaido will move in to your center and evade you at the same time, it's all angular rotations.

http://www.hygeia-design.com/Kaido/s...ato%20008.html
    again with the shuffle step...right foot steps and left foot centers.

http://www.hygeia-design.com/Kaido/s...ato%20009.html

shuffle to the side, right foot steps and left follows and left block...shuffle in and claw, shuffle out and upcut to gut...shuffle around and right overhead to left temple.

http://www.hygeia-design.com/Kaido/s...ato%20010.html

this is straight up typo...how he go from one leg stance into left crane when the wall is in his way lol

http://www.hygeia-design.com/Kaido/s...ides/Kato.html

again this has to be typo....shuffle in and jam him with right crown gaurd and left upcut to gut...if it isn't a typo i'm guessing his weight drops back onto his left leg and he lunges into right bow and claw eyes...how did he trap the forearms lol? must be a typo, or it's very stylistic and I haven't seen him do it, and I've seen most of his application...

This article is from 1975 and the picture with Emperado is from around the same time. Kaido was 5'th dan KajuKenbo, so he prolly knew Dacasco by then!?

Hi, Diego.

Be well.
    John
    yeah, i'm watching wun hop kuen do on you tube and it looks nothing like kaido except for the tornado kicks...kaido slaps his right claw-palm into the heel of the right foot when doing the inside crescent kick portion of the tornado kick, while others will slap the top of their foot with their other hand...kaido basically jumps up and grabs his foot with the same hand. WHKD seems more kajukenbo-lohan and kaido is more kajukenbo-bagua.

mm, also my stepdad told me kaido came to class one day and said they are not using the kajukenbo crest anymore and kaido got some new crests made up which had a white crane on them...

it's interesting no one talks about kaido in the kajukenbo-kung fu world cuz his form is better than emperado i can honestly say that as a kung fu fan...why is their no tribute sites?

my stepdad told me montreal was a pretty shady place in the 70's, and i read about the montreal hells angels killing judges etc...kaido suppossedly taught satans choice and they funded his first school before they got locked up and he got new students...he told Philip Gelinas he is retiring in 1980 and was killed a few years late...the **** would make a good novel, i'm guessing he left someone unhappy!? but his style sure looks good!.

http://www.absolutemartialarts.net/id12.html

Here's a bit more history on Kaido.

Here is a short referance to Kaido from one of his senior black belt instructors. Kaido is the teacher that told him to look into arnis and kali for good fighters...it's a shame dude was killed as he would have gotten off on all the ufc/dog brother clubs out now.

http://dogbrothers.com/wrapper.php?f...os_gelinas.htm

Philip "Sled Dog" Gelinas

I started my Martial Arts training in 1967 in a Japanese karate style called Chito Ryu. I was 14 years old. I don’t remember the reasons why I started but they were strong enough that when I began I didn’t want to stop.

Over the next 13 years my training was steady if uneventful. I trained in Judo, Japanese Kempo, and Hawaiian Kajukenbo, earning black belt ranks Kempo (1973 ) and Kajukenbo (1975). I was somewhat successful in touch karate tournaments and accumulated a bunch of trophies that I had to dump a few years ago.

It was however in 1980, when my Kajukenbo instructor decided to stop teaching, that the door to a world of possibilities was opened to me by a casual comment that he made. As we were talking, after he broke the news to us, he said “watch out for the old men with the sticks”. A prophetic comment if there ever was one. I of course immediately started looking for old men with sticks.

The following spring I answered an ad in Inside Kung Fu magazine offering information about the Arnis America Organization. Without going into a long winded explanation I managed to get to a seminar in upstate New York and meet Tuhon Leo Gaje beginning my training in Pekiti Tirsia Kali. A that same seminar I met Billy (now Tuhon) McGrath, Tom Bisio and most of the Pekiti Tirsia seniors from New York. This may not mean much to people from California but Montreal was not the crossroads of the martial arts world in the early 1980’s and we had to go to things because things did not come to us. The seminar lasted from six o’clock Friday evening to when we could hardly move on Sunday evening. A surprise guest was Penjak Silat instructor Eddy Jafri.

That summer I had my first full contact stick fighting experience. The padding used in those days was almost the opposite of what is used today in the Dog Brothers MA. We wore heavy felt body armor, a heavy kendo type helmet, and no gloves other than whatever pads we could find. Strikes were not permitted below the waist and direct strikes to the hands were also not allowed. Boy have things changed.

I entered my first stick fighting tournament at the United Nations school that year and tied for first place with two other competitors. The finals never happened because there were two choirs and two fashion shows that had to go on first and we ran out of time. The real story is actually much funnier than I make it seem, ask someone else who was there. I also met Guro Inosanto there for the first time, as well as Eric Knaus.

For the next few years, I participated in various Pekiti Tirsia training camps as well as sponsoring seminars in Montreal with Tuhon Gaje and Tom Bisio.

I was promoted to Lakan Guro by Tom Bisio in 1984, and to Mata-as na Guro, by Tuhon Gaje in 1987.

I was introduced to Muay Thai training in 1985 by Tom Harinck of the Chakuriki school and received my first Muay Thai instructor’s credential through that group.

In 1987 I began my most ambitious non-training martial arts project. I began to compile (what I hoped to be) an accurate family tree of the Kajukenbo system. When I started I had 135 names from a tree that was assembled in 1975. Half of them turned out to be inaccurate. Based on new information I have issued an updated version for the last 9 years. The latest edition has over 2000 names from all branches.

I went to Los Angeles in the summer of 1988. At that time I re-connected with Eric Knaus who had relocated there from NY , and began sparring with him at the Inosanto Academy using his version of full contact stick fighting. One of the unique aspects of these sessions with Eric was witnessing his unflinching resolve to try out his “stuff” against any non-bladed impact weapons available, including hardwood nunchakus, three sectional staffs, and oak bokken. A have a home video of him at the academy breaking some shields that had been sent there for inspection. In those early fights we used some heavy steel masks that Eric had made, based on the fencing mask design, but using stainless steel mesh.

Later that summer, at a Pekiti Tirsia camp in Nashville Tn., I had the pleasure of meeting Marc Denny for the first time. After this point I was invited to come out to Los Angeles to participate in a video shoot. This was the basis of what was to become the Dog Brothers first video series.

In 1992 ,on Guro Dan Inosanto’s invitation, I joined his instructor’s program. I am presently an associate instructor in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipino Martial Arts and a level 3 instructor in Maphilindo Silat.

1992 was also the year that I passed my basic level in Muay Thai with Adjarn Chai Sirsute.

Not thinking that enough was enough in one person’s training I started to practice Capoeira under Maestre Deraldo Ferriera of Boston Mass.. It was a lot of fun and I practiced for a couple of years. The method we practiced came from a blend of the Regional and Angola styles, but tended more towards the lower, less spectacularly acrobatic, but more finely controlled Angola type. Eventually a shoulder injury prevented me from continuing.

My desire to improve my grappling skills has been complicated by the fact that Montreal is just about the only major North American city that does not have a transplanted Brazilian Ju-Jitsu instructor. I will have to confront those problems as they arise at the gatherings I plan to attend in the future. I try to follow some of the Shoot curriculum from the Inosanto Academy but it is rough without regular guidance.

I have maintained my particication in Kajukenbo and hold an advanced rank in the Emperado Method, as well as rank in the Chuan Fa branch under the Dacascos group.

In November 1996 I moved into my present school in downtown Montreal. I try to pass on the things I have picked up along the way.

Recently I was lured by friends to begin training in Cimande Silat under Guru Besar Willem de Thouars.

The roller coaster continues.

Holy crap, some people are blessed by who they are exposed to.

Tuhon Leo Gaje
    Dan Inosanto
    Adjarn Chai Sirsute.
    Besar Willem de Thouars

And the list goes on...wow...

I have had the pleasure of seminars and training with Inosanto and Sirsute and just those two are a lifetime of knowledge.

sanjuro

What do you mean by crap

I know very well Gm gelinas and trained Kajukenbo and pekiti tirsia Kali with him

let me tell you .....its not crap....

Every year...Tuhon Gaje came at Philip school ... and for the Kuntao silat of uncle Bill ...one of hes senior teach at Philip School( I trained with him in the past)

Steeve

Diego Mon Ami

Thank for the article

I have some footage of Kaito in the earlier days on the mont Royal.....also some from a public demos and during training class(more old)
    Last edited by Steeeve; 09-20-2007 at 06:57 AM. Reason: forgot

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    sanjuro

What do you mean by crap

I know very well Gm gelinas and trained Kajukenbo and pekiti tirsia Kali with him

let me tell you .....its not crap....

Every year...Tuhon Gaje came at Philip school ... and for the Kuntao silat of uncle Bill ...one of hes senior teach at Philip School( I trained with him in the past)

Steeve
    LOL !

Holy crap in the sense of "holy cow", "oh my goodness", Ay caramba, not in the sense that it IS crap.

Hahaha My english is so bad

Steeve