Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Kajukenbo Hop Gar

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    You mean that drill or the whole method of low twisting , rotating and spinning?...wing chun form is upright old men can do it...kaidos footwork and coiling body method trains you to kickbox in the low clinching range...all the good wwf wrestlers are on roids, ultimate warrior was very cut, lol...same **** fat peeps can't be doing gung fu....doesn't mean you can't do gung fu and be overweight...you ever seen a muay thai champ that looked like a sumo...**** doesn't work, and besides most gung fu has bhuddist influence and vegans are wiry and bhuddists sit in lotus so culturally they are more able to demonstrate proper foundations.

I'm confused what you said about DFW and many styles...you want to exercise tyhe bboy style slash sweeps in the Kodak frames or?.

James
    I'm saying that body type plays a role in all physical things, including gung fu. GM DFW's book from the 80's mentions it briefly. I can't watch the videos, because the gov't network blocks vids. I am saying, generally speaking, if you are a large person, would the more acrobatic/demanding techniques be prohibitive for someone who is big but at the same time athletic? The stuff I'm doing now isn't demanding at all. It's just memorization and holding the low horsey.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I'm saying that body type plays a role in all physical things, including gung fu. GM DFW's book from the 80's mentions it briefly. I can't watch the videos, because the gov't network blocks vids. I am saying, generally speaking, if you are a large person, would the more acrobatic/demanding techniques be prohibitive for someone who is big but at the same time athletic? The stuff I'm doing now isn't demanding at all. It's just memorization and holding the low horsey.
    Flexibility and speed is the key for what you would need to develop for your body type...you built like an american football man I assume...wide shoulders and large thighs...gung fu is all about the waist so you'd just have to work on your splits and do lots of speed kicking drills...we always go upright tiger tail-back kick into low cross stance and spin out into tornado with the same leg...so you kick out, dip low and spring high...very good cardio in reps and it works your waist from rolling and twisting on each side similar to how crunches work your abs.

I'm starting to understand that foundation training is more than just basics, you really become that shape be it animal or bhoddisatva style...our side bow stance is the main hop ga fighting frame in the method I train, you dip your left leg to the side fully weighted and you stretch out your rear leg, as you do this you dip your head and upper torso like you are slipping a jab underneath a hook and this is our on gaurd fundamental stance.
    I notice this dipping one leg, locking the hips, and then stretching the rear leg and spine fully onsome yoga **** has made me taller.

The stance training and the hands you play while working your foundation gives you the muscular frame of whatever totem symbol your style emulates....we do the crane so you really extend your limbs, like you almost hyperextend...but then it's also based on gorrilla so you got that hunched coil making every thing tight and ready to spring....you develop these muscles to the point of an adrenaline gung fu roid monkey and when you are older and more slim, less agile, you will still have this frame.

for boxing you need speed and strength, gung fu footwork you need root so you must work flexibility, not just stationary stretching you also need to master flexibility in motion .

Basically, what I'm saying is most westerners I demo'd the tornado kick for spazzed out their hips when they tried to learn it...their tv guts get in the way

Drake, I only posted one youtube video, the rest are kodak picture slideshows, some cool combo's up in there!.

Drake, I only posted one youtube video, the rest are kodak picture slideshows, some cool combo's up in there!.
    Aaaaahh...I see....
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

lexibility and speed is the key for what you would need to develop for your body type...you built like an american football man I assume...wide shoulders and large thighs...gung fu is all about the waist so you'd just have to work on your splits and do lots of speed kicking drills...
    Splits and speed kicking work the waist ??
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Splits and speed kicking work the waist ??
    I find most westerners are top heavy...splits and kicking drills get rid of the gut...gung fu footwork works the waist

I find most westerners are top heavy...splits and kicking drills get rid of the gut...gung fu footwork works the waist
    Splits and kicking drills get rid of the gut eh?
    Didn't I see that in an infomercial on the shopping channel ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Splits and kicking drills get rid of the gut eh?
    Didn't I see that in an infomercial on the shopping channel ?
    you seen the hip hop boxing or the **** it be....****...loosen up the legs and get light on the toes before doing hop ga foot work or you will pull your groin I don't care how sporty you are.

see i'm lazy as hell but I'm not fat so let me have the ego pleasure of feeling good about myself by denigrating others!. ****

Drifting off subject...what builds speed? Just kicking, or is there a certain way of doing this to maximize the effort?
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Drifting off subject...what builds speed? Just kicking, or is there a certain way of doing this to maximize the effort?
    I'm thinking more suppleness than moving swift...there is a tai chi to the hop ga, I guess they describe it as silk reeling energy...you have to be able to explode contstantly while you coil.

Kaido's drills are harder than kickboxing drills because they stay upright... your butt has to be parrallel to your knees unless you actually stand up, anything else is weak form, minimal intent...spazzy kung fu. I mean, I'm lazy I like to play my form, but that's not how it's done, you have to be gung ho to properly pimp the gung fu.

I was taught do your form slow and slick as hell put full style, then do it as powerfull and choppy as you can, then mix full form speed and power.

Repetition builds speed,but our shape helps us explode...peep the kodak pic's. We hit from every angle it's all about the footwork, you do mad reps...the legend in hop ga is you have to do each seed fist 10,000 times to just have it ingrained in your muscle memory, then you repeat 10 g on a bag and repeat sparring...you do this for each move in twenty years you will master the meteor fists of the lama footwork...that's all legend

What I found in what I do...you watch the thais all they train is front kick and round kick, maybe a side spin kick...you master these moves you will have the muscles to execute every other type of kick. Same with the hop ga punches, spend a month on straight punch, then spend a month on hooking, and then chopping overhead...then start over....now it is easy as hell to do backfists so rake your knuckles along the canvas with those fist. The Chune is the main seed it holds the key to every other arm technique.

if you watch the three minute youtube video I linked kaido moves tai chi style very supple...peter and roy when they do the two man form they move more swift than supple.

Here's a lil demo I did for theKFMAG member Satori Science a few days ago. We had a good three hour chat on the Gung Fu and I asked him to record me showing the difference between Hop Ga and KajuKenbo. My stance is spaz as hell, lol...I should have took an extra 20 seconds to do the postures properly, at least my feet and shoulders are in alignement. Watch the steps I take and visualize the flow Kaido uses in his three minute demo on my Youtube page.
    I was planning to make video for this thread and the Kaido website I'm working on after the summer when I'm more in shape...just got over a month long heel injury and spent the whole winter on my butt surfing the web

This video makes me really want to get in shape now....the third set looks retarded....PUT YOUR BUTT INLINE WITH YOUR KNEES, BACK STRAIGHT!!. ****

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=azs1xtDwb4s

I wish I demo'd more application as Kaido has lots of it, but it's good enough to show anyone interested how Kaido sets up his combo's.

James

I have see the video

The Kaido set 1 and 2 and the third form....plus the basic punch warm up...

thats from the kajukenbo chuan fa branch of Kaido its not the Emperado method or the Kajukenbo chuan fa of Al Dacascos....the basic punch are from hop gar(lama pai and white crane) a version or influenced of the hop gar but not the form.....the forms was created by Kaido...

Steeve

Question: Where/who gave you these vids?

Quote Originally Posted by kaidokenbo View Post
    Question: Where/who gave you these vids?

Peter Schuster stayed at my house back in 96...Got like ten hours of various Kaido-Kajukenbo vid's
    Last edited by diego; 03-17-2008 at 07:59 PM.