Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Kajukenbo Hop Gar

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    i like kajukenbo.........

some of it was inspired by Lau Bun........adriano emperado supposedly had some contact with him.
    yep, JDHowland on this forum has knowledge of these topics and knows old peeps from both styles...i'll pm him to peep your post.

Steeve, i forget to ask...Philip said kaido's style is in no danger of disappearing, he mentioned his Kaido's daughter studies...Do you know how many people out there teach his system?.

One last thing Steeeve...is that two person form Philip mentioned the one Peter and Roy do in the tournament demo with kaido and four students in dark suits?.

Cheers,
    'ames

Steeeve i was just talking to my stepdad, and he brought up that Emperado came to Montreal for kaido's tournament and he came a few times, my stepdad had dinner with him and his wife...JDHowland mentioned that Emperado knows some of the old school White Crane guys...wouldn't he know something about the origin of Kaido's technique?.

Thanks for the answer. I looked at the article from the opening post. I couldn't read all of it because the bottom was cut off but it was still interesting. Did Kaido learn Hop Gar from Ng Yim Ming?

Steeve, i forget to ask...Philip said kaido's style is in no danger of disappearing, he mentioned his Kaido's daughter studies...Do you know how many people out there teach his system?.

Diego

From what I know ....Some guys teach the kaido stuff incorporated in teir Kaju...

One guy in Ontario John I know very well this guy ....teach the forms of kaido and the Emperado Kaju(hard style kenpo)He learned it mostly from Phillip annd trained also with Kaido...

maybe 7 years ago Roy have a school in Montreal dont know if he teach again

Steeve

some of it was inspired by Lau Bun........adriano emperado supposedly had some contact with him.

Frank

William Chow had contact with GM Lau Bun some story also talk about Emperado have also contact .....Probably just meeting ...this guys was friend with Ming lum Who trained with GM Lau Bun in SF

Emperado trained under Chow before start the Kajukenbo ....

In the 50 and 60 He supposed from the history of Kaju to have studied some CMA at the Hawaii Chinese Physical Culture Ass...at this time in Hawaii the great Sifu was Sifu Lum Dai Yong of the sil lum fut ga...Sifu Lau yeu Cho of hung gar and Mah Kin of CLF

From the history...Prof Emperado receive a award from GM Ho Ngau of CLF appointing him as a advisor and representative of CLF...

Steeve

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post

Diego

From what I know ....Some guys teach the kaido stuff incorporated in teir Kaju...

One guy in Ontario John I know very well this guy ....teach the forms of kaido and the Emperado Kaju(hard style kenpo)He learned it mostly from Phillip annd trained also with Kaido...

maybe 7 years ago Roy have a school in Montreal dont know if he teach again

Steeve
    i was entertaining the idea of saving some money and mastering my basic and taking a plane to learn more of kaido's forms...is montreal a good bet or would that be expensive...I would love to find a class oppossed to spending thousands of dollars on private lessons uno

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I looked at the article from the opening post. I couldn't read all of it because the bottom was cut off but it was still interesting. Did Kaido learn Hop Gar from Ng Yim Ming?
    I'll write more about the technical aspects from what i know soon, i'm studieing for my fitness exam...just learned something

before i would step and throw my fist for a boxer rear cross

in order to throw a cross you have to flex the shoulder...to flex the shoulder you have to stabilize your pecs and lats

step into left bow, stabilize your right pecs and lats and just tighten your knuckles as your arm swingslams into the bag...nuts!!! this morning i figured out how to make my punch two to three times more powerfull by applying fitness theory...before i knew i could knock someone out with my fist as i could cut you with a hook...now i know i can generate enough to kill during a ground and pound.

Diego

If you want to learn Kaido style ....Go to see Philip

Steeve

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post

Frank

William Chow had contact with GM Lau Bun some story also talk about Emperado have also contact .....Probably just meeting ...this guys was friend with Ming lum Who trained with GM Lau Bun in SF

Emperado trained under Chow before start the Kajukenbo ....

In the 50 and 60 He supposed from the history of Kaju to have studied some CMA at the Hawaii Chinese Physical Culture Ass...at this time in Hawaii the great Sifu was Sifu Lum Dai Yong of the sil lum fut ga...Sifu Lau yeu Cho of hung gar and Mah Kin of CLF

From the history...Prof Emperado receive a award from GM Ho Ngau of CLF appointing him as a advisor and representative of CLF...

Steeve

Hi Steeve and Diego.

I don't know of any direct connection between Lau Bun and Emperado. There are lots of connections between Island Kaju people and CLF.

Here's what I know. WARNING: this is going to get convoluted.

San Fransisco based White Crane master Quentin Fong spent a lot of time in Hawaii. In fact, he was just there last summer with Ming Lum. For about forty years he has been an advisor to some organizations of "Hawaiian Kenpo." Many of these Kenpo practitioners were former Kaju men. Fong learned Lau Bun's CLF from Ming Lum.

Cheuk Tse (White Crane, Hop Ga, CLF) moved to the islands in the '60s and opened a school as Harry Ng's representative. He taught at the same place (Hawaii Chinese Buddhist Assoc.) where the Chinese Physical Culture Association that Steeve mentioned had met for decades. The CPCA and Cheuk's Kung Fu Assoc. didn't mix but Emperado may have been influenced by both groups. Cheuk Tse taught Willy Chow's son for a time. During classes Chow Sr. used to pace around the parking lot outside. We used to joke that he was there to steal our training methods. Emperado and Cheuk Tse were close friends. It was Cheuk who arranged to have Emperado promoted to 10th degree professor rank by Cheuk's CLF master Ho Ngau. I emailed Emperado last year (through a senior Kaju student) to ask him whether he had incorporated any of Ho's CLF into Kajukenbo. He replied that he didn't really learn from Ho but was given the appointment as a representative at Cheuk's reccomendation for equivalent experience. Cheuk and Emperado shared a lot of info.

Hope this helps.

John

Blog Entries
    http://www.kajukenboinfo.com/sijo.html

" About the same time he started a serious study of various kung fu systems. He studied under Professor Lau Bun of the Choy Li Fut system and Professor Wong of the Northern Shaolin system. Several years later these professors and the Hawaii Chinese Physical Culture Association awarded Emperado the title Professor 10th degree. Also at this time he was awarded a certificate by Grandmaster Ho Gau of Hong Kong appointing him as a advisor and representative of the Choy Li Fut system. This certificate was signed by Grandmaster Ho Gau, Professor Cheuk Tse, and the directors of the Hawaii Chinese Physical Culture Association. This was truly an accolade when one considers that the Hawaii Chinese Physical Culture Association was the first kung fu school outside of China."
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    The Only Real Non Chinese Student Lau Bun Truly Taught Went By The Last Name Of Kamaka.....peter Or Henry ..........something Like That. But He Was A Hawaiian Too.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Hi Steeve and Diego.

I don't know of any direct connection between Lau Bun and Emperado. There are lots of connections between Island Kaju people and CLF.

Here's what I know. WARNING: this is going to get convoluted.

San Fransisco based White Crane master Quentin Fong spent a lot of time in Hawaii. In fact, he was just there last summer with Ming Lum. For about forty years he has been an advisor to some organizations of "Hawaiian Kenpo." Many of these Kenpo practitioners were former Kaju men. Fong learned Lau Bun's CLF from Ming Lum.

Cheuk Tse (White Crane, Hop Ga, CLF) moved to the islands in the '60s and opened a school as Harry Ng's representative. He taught at the same place (Hawaii Chinese Buddhist Assoc.) where the Chinese Physical Culture Association that Steeve mentioned had met for decades. The CPCA and Cheuk's Kung Fu Assoc. didn't mix but Emperado may have been influenced by both groups. Cheuk Tse taught Willy Chow's son for a time. During classes Chow Sr. used to pace around the parking lot outside. We used to joke that he was there to steal our training methods. Emperado and Cheuk Tse were close friends. It was Cheuk who arranged to have Emperado promoted to 10th degree professor rank by Cheuk's CLF master Ho Ngau. I emailed Emperado last year (through a senior Kaju student) to ask him whether he had incorporated any of Ho's CLF into Kajukenbo. He replied that he didn't really learn from Ho but was given the appointment as a representative at Cheuk's reccomendation for equivalent experience. Cheuk and Emperado shared a lot of info.

Hope this helps.

John

Thanks for posting John.

Steeeve,my intuition is pointing towards Hawaii...Kaido got his Kaju directly from Emperado, Emperado went to Montreal to certify Kaido as 5'th degree black belt and my stepdad went out for dinner with him so Emperado would definatly remember Kaido. Did Kaido get his Kaju in Hawaii or San Francisco...I'm pretty sure my stepdad said kaido came to montreal from san fran... I'm guessing he got kaju in Hawaii and hop ga in SF...if this is correct...maybe he got some white crane from Emperado's Hawai peeps??...

Guys

Thats very interesting what you said

In Kajukenbo we have 4 branch ....first one is the Emperado method (kenpo ),the Chuan fa was created by Al Dacascos and De La Cruz putting more emphazize in the Bo of Kajukenbo... a lot of forms was add from northern sil lum style and southern.....but in fact the form was mostly add by What Dacascos learned when he came to USA leraning from Jack Man wong ,Paul Eng(Kam Yuen) and Buck sam kong....Dacascos created his own style call Wun hop kuen do later
    WHKD is the third branch and its a evolotion of the chuan fa and the Tum pai branch add mor taiji .pakua more internal arts....

All the branch came from the emperado method...the Punch counter,grab counter ,club counter and knife counter in each branch are variations of the Emperado method Counter(punch,grab and so on)......Unique to the Emperado method is the Alphabet (advanced punch couter with some two men attack counter)
    In the chuan fa ,Whkd and tum pai we have no more the Palama sets(forms) who are really kenpo karate form influenced by japanese art.In chuan fa and WHKD The form Ha kuen is a version of the 4 first palama sets put together...

Diego the last visited of Emperado in Montreal was in 1984...I have a video of the seminar With Prf Emperado....

Steeeve