Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My what big muscles you have!

Ming the Merciless Guest
    The Gurkha motto is "Better dead than a live coward."

words to live by (or not).

Danny Sainty Guest
    JWT,
    You cannot say you took my joke about the car seriously!
    *chuckles and shakes his head*

JWTAYLOR Guest
    Yes, I pride myself on my ability to destroy large objects easily with household supplies, so I get my quills up pretty quick on that subject.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Shaolin36 Guest
    Do what fighters do that are training for a fight. Depending on your Sifu, letting him know can be bad or good, only you know that.

Train for the fight. Pick 2 people out of your school with the same builds and spar them repeatedly until you are comfortable with fighting people their size. Then, spar them both at the same time, of course start light then get more aggressive and pull less punches as time goes on. Your not looking to win with you sparr partners, rather develop a strategy, a gameplan. Action=reaction, 2nd nature reaction=even better. Also, when it is time to fight- make sure you have great intent. I dont care what anyone says, but I say " the heart follows intent" if you keep getting up(if you are getting beaten)and standing up to these guys during the fight-showing heart, you will only have to face this fight once, instead of everytime you see them.

Shaolin36

Grappling-Insanity Guest
    I had the same problem, just try and have some boys when you go somewhere. I would bring a wepon around. I like brass knuckels, harder for them to disarm you and its ez for you to break there nose with a nice shot.

Mojo Guest
    My advise ( for what it's worth )
    1. Get in the first punch. Face or groin, but make it count.
    2. Keep punching, don't stop until your opponent is down.
    3. Wear hard shoes. When he goes down, start kicking, don't stop until he's out.

I call this 'Fighting 101'.

When you're smaller, you have to be meaner and more agressive.

SevenStar Guest
    If the fight is unavoidable, then the object here is sudden violence. Strike first and strike hard. Rely of your power tools - knees, elbows, the cross, headbutts if you know how to properly use them. Don't let his size intimidate you, just go in and get the job done. Don't run and look for a weapon, but if one is accessible, then by all means use it. You do want to be careful when you close though - If he is alot stronger than you, then you can believe he will try to wrestle you down if he can. If he can control your body, then he doesn't have to worry about your strikes as much and possibly try to ground and pound on you - only there will be no ref to stop him...

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
    like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kas

halfling Guest
    Use his strength/size against him. If he charges you, dont try to hold your stance and stand the storm, twist off the center-line. Don't stand there and be the typical victim. Don't get rigid and completely defensive. Don't know how much that helps but thought I'd put my thoughts down. :)

nospam Guest
    A big boy will tend to want to grab a smaller person. Move quickly and maintain your space. Go in, move laterally and get back out.

If you are afraid of fighting 'anyone', you give them the edge even before you have begun. Have confidence in your ability and 'just do it'.

On a side note, you might want to train with larger classmates for our training HAS to reproduce a variety of situations, that is why fighting should be a challenge of Time, not skill vs skill. I want to end the fight (by whatever means) as quickly as possible. I couldn't give a rats-ass if there were 1 guy or 2, or the guy was a frigg'n tank. If I have to fight, then I want to end it as quickly as possible. And keep in mind, everything ebbs and flows- we all will lose some time...call it one of Life's harder taught lessons :cool:

Good luck. Don't be a fool, but don't back down when your space is invaded.

nospam.

zen_celt Guest

Thanks guys

I appreciate all of the advice. It's all very logical and reassuring(I was thinking along similar lines). Also, for the levity, thanks, it keeps me sane. :)

Bruce Leroy- This started for two different reasons. The bigger of the two(and the football player) is pretty much just an @ss. He was harassing a female friend of mine and I told him to stop. He then turned on me and it went from there. He hasn't done anything yet and I'm thnking it was just to save face but it still worries me. He does have a reputation. The other guy is a neo-nazi type who thought it would be fun to pick on the "*** dancer" (I take a dance class for PE credit. But if anyone knew the benefits of being the only guy in a class filled with FINE women, most of whom are cheerleaders, and staying to the back of the class, I would be praised :cool: ). Either way, he started messing with me and I'm not one to take a lot of smack from ANYONE. I did that as a freshman and I refuse to do it ever again. Needless to say, he didn't like being made to look stupid in front of his buds, so he's been trying to give me a beating for a while now and means to cash in with interest.

Nospam- you're exactly right. That's what I'm most worried about. I know I stand no chance if I just stand there and trade blows, and I'm not sure I have the strength to lock them or take the fight to the ground(especially if I'm on bottom). I think I worry about bullrushes most. The only way I can think of to counter(aside from moving if possible) is to go up and over the guy. I would try a sprawl or something but a 230# guy with that kind of momentum won't be easily stopped.

I used to carry a 3.5" knife at all times but after a while, I didn't like it because it cut me off from people and it made me feel like I was constantly looking over my shoulder so I stopped. I still train with it though. I have no fear of using weapons( in fact I've often purposely stood near rocks and clubs that I could easily grab in case it was necessary) but I just don't like carrying one.

Violence of action is a wonderful suggestion. I figure that once something is going to turn violent, I better do it FIRST, HARDEST, and MEANEST so that I don't have to do it again. I figure that if I'm at a middle distance, I'll "shoot" in and go for the guys knee, striking from an angle to smash/dislocate or start for his throat and go over the top of him. Part of the problem I have is that I dislike getting in fights because I'm never sure if I can stop once I start. It's just the way I am. So I try to keep situations from getting to that point. I just wonder if my rage is enough this time. I have managed to avoid a number fo fights because word has gotten around about the way I fight and the fact that I like to use weapons and never fight fair. Smash one guy's head into a locker while beating him with a 40# backpack and they just don't mess with ya. ;)

I don't think anything will come of this, but I keep thinking about the possibility of another verbal confrontation, except that the next time, it may be settled with violence.

As an ironic side note, I find it funny that on the way to school Monday, I stopped to talk with the abbot of a local Buddhist temple who is running a seminar on non-violence as a resoluiton to conflict.

So you see guys, my situation is one where I refuse to run(on grounds of principle) and I'm not altogether sure I can win. All of your advice has been helpful and I promise that should anything happen, I won't give up, I'll hit first and hardest, and if I don't win, I'll get up and try again until I do. I refuse to back down. That and I'm reassured now that a number of my friends(all of whom are bigger than me or fight dirty) have given me support and are watching my back (just as I would for them).

I like the ideas you've all given me so perhaps we could keep going with the discussion of what to do when outsized/outnumbered?
    -ZC

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

Martial Joe Guest
    If it comes down to him attacking you,try and kick him in the balls,really hard...

Just because he is big does not mean he won't get hurt when kicked in the testes...

IXIJoe KaveyIXI
    I am Sharky's main man...

Grappling-Insanity Guest
    Dont do that I've seen many ppl beat the snot out of some1 who kicks them in the nuts, there adreniline(sp?) carries them past the pain.

Martial Joe Guest
    Well,if you think about it if he was fighting that would really hurt the guy more then punching the guy in the head...

IXIJoe KaveyIXI
    I am Sharky's main man...

joedoe Guest
    Have you ever taken a solid blow to the nuts? It takes about 10 seconds for the pain to kick in and when it does it is incredible. However, if the adrenaline is pumping I think it would push you past that and allow you to continue fighting.

Generally the nut shot is not always the best option. It's not a matter of fighting dirty, just a matter of true effectiveness.

And besides, most guys will instinctively defend the nuts anyway.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    You're fu(king up my chi

ope Guest
    balls strike..
    depends on how you hit someone in the balls your not soposed to just hit it.. you have to crush it.. which will cause there blatter(sp?) to burst.. or would cause great stress on there blatter.. which most likely would stop them in there tracks..

Most people gave good advice nuttin much i can add to help.. just remmeber if you really think your life is in danger be very deadly..