Thread: World Jianshu League San Diego

Thanks for the vids. CMA sport fencing is still pretty rare in Canada. Personally, I've simply gone to various SCA get-togethers, and have fenced with friends of various MAs.

I watched the vids, and enjoyed what I saw. It's interesting to see how there's a fairly consistent range and line being maintained. This brings to mind the principles, tactics and strategies of Western Fencing.

Do you know what the sparring guidelines/rules were/are?

Cheers,

Christian
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Thanks for the vids. CMA sport fencing is still pretty rare in Canada. Personally, I've simply gone to various SCA get-togethers, and have fenced with friends of various MAs.

I watched the vids, and enjoyed what I saw. It's interesting to see how there's a fairly consistent range and line being maintained. This brings to mind the principles, tactics and strategies of Western Fencing.

Do you know what the sparring guidelines/rules were/are?

Cheers,

Christian
    Rules are under development but...
    http://www.worldjianshu.org/Rules/ta...3/Default.aspx
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Quote Originally Posted by count View Post
    Interesting. I like the attempt to codify critical vs. effective strikes.

Will the ring be the same size as a regular SanShou/Lei Tai?

Will the Judge Setup be the same as well?

Will empty hand techniques be allowed? How will they be judged?
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Hello Christian,

Trapping with empty hand is allowed, but I believe striking is not. The rationale is to keep the focus on our ability to use the jian.

Here are a few Jianshu Matches at the U.S. International Kuoshu Championship Tournament Hunt Valley, MD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb36DI82yxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmC0jsJsnqE

There are some quirks due to the nature of sport, but I joined the league because they are the only ones who are out there dueling rather than speculating.

M.Dasargo

The vids are pretty dark... looks like standard fencing headgear?

It's nice to see Jian duelling in a tournament venue. I'm sure it will evolve over time... congrats on having found such an enjoyable sport!