Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin in houston/Clear lake area

Shaolin in houston/Clear lake area

I live in the clear lake area, and I have been looking for awhile and I was wondering if anyone knows any good Shaolin kung fu/wushu in the clear lake area. There are a bunch of schools in the belaire area, but I can't seem to find any places in the Clear Lake area.

Not sure of anything in Clear Lake. But if you want to train with the best sometimes you have to drive the extra miles. I have been commuting back and forth from Austin to Houston the last seven years to train with my master. But to train with a monk who has been doing wushu since he was 6 years old, there is no comparison. We have an excellent school and lots of weekend classes, visit us at:

www.internationalshaolin.com

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    Not sure of anything in Clear Lake. But if you want to train with the best sometimes you have to drive the extra miles. I have been commuting back and forth from Austin to Houston the last seven years to train with my master. But to train with a monk who has been doing wushu since he was 6 years old, there is no comparison. We have an excellent school and lots of weekend classes, visit us at:

www.internationalshaolin.com
    last 7 years??
    are u exxegerating??
    i

No, not exagerating, it has been about 7 years now or so.

No, not exagerating, it has been about 7 years now or so.
    xing ying started his own school in 2002/2003 in houston
    so if u been there for 7 years....that mean u were there in 2001..wit de shan
    ...hmmm......i am assuming you are the guy in charge of the austin location?? since the website is on your profile??
    your name/face dont look familiar at all......

Hey. My Kung Fu school is in Clear Lake. We teach traditional Pai Lum Tao/Gong Yuen Chuan Fa out of Walter Hall park. It is not modernized wushu.

Anyway, if you're interested give me a call at: 281-627-2500 and Ill try and help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pk_StyLeZ View Post
    xing ying started his own school in 2002/2003 in houston
    so if u been there for 7 years....that mean u were there in 2001..wit de shan
    ...hmmm......i am assuming you are the guy in charge of the austin location?? since the website is on your profile??
    your name/face dont look familiar at all......
    I am the guy in charge of the of the Austin location. I started shortly after Shifu opened the school on Corporate whenever that was, sorry I can't remember if it was 01, 02, something like that. Since I come from the Austin area I only came on weekends. If you want to check me out, call him (713)272-0276. If you were there during that time what is your name? Maybe I will remember you. There is hardly anyone here now that was still there when I started.

I am the guy in charge of the of the Austin location. I started shortly after Shifu opened the school on Corporate whenever that was, sorry I can't remember if it was 01, 02, something like that. Since I come from the Austin area I only came on weekends. If you want to check me out, call him (713)272-0276. If you were there during that time what is your name? Maybe I will remember you. There is hardly anyone here now that was still there when I started.

shifu xing ying started his own school near the end of 2002(making it 6 years)
    that why i dont remember you or when he opened his own school
    i stayyed at de shan when he left.......
    yeah
    my name is mark
    nice to meet you

Quote Originally Posted by Pk_StyLeZ View Post
    shifu xing ying started his own school near the end of 2002(making it 6 years)
    that why i dont remember you or when he opened his own school
    i stayyed at de shan when he left.......
    yeah
    my name is mark
    nice to meet you

Well then I guess it is six years I have been making that drive, with gas prices the way they are now it seems like fifteen. Anyway nice to meet you also Mark.

Hey Scott. How you doing? It's Ryan.

Mark that went to Shi Yan Feng for a while? If so, are you still practicing? He was talking about you the other day actually.

Anyway, regarding a school in Clear Lake, there is a school on Nasa Rd 1, almost at Hwy 3 if you can't make the commute to the SW side. The Shifu is Maing Yul Jung. I first started taking kung fu from his son at another location on Hwy 3 for a couple years some years back before they moved to that location. His son was amazing, but kinda selectively taught. He ended up moving to China to teach, which was when I quit going there (Well not really. He got in trouble with the law and opted to leave the country to avoid the repercussions, but that's another story). However, a couple times I trained under his father and was impressed too. His background was always a little hazy, but he is very skillful.

Just a fyi in case you're opposed to the longer drive (although, in my opinion, it's worth it).

Quote Originally Posted by Nards View Post

Mark that went to Shi Yan Feng for a while? If so, are you still practicing? He was talking about you the other day actually.

Anyway, regarding a school in Clear Lake, there is a school on Nasa Rd 1, almost at Hwy 3 if you can't make the commute to the SW side. The Shifu is Maing Yul Jung. I first started taking kung fu from his son at another location on Hwy 3 for a couple years some years back before they moved to that location. His son was amazing, but kinda selectively taught. He ended up moving to China to teach, which was when I quit going there (Well not really. He got in trouble with the law and opted to leave the country to avoid the repercussions, but that's another story). However, a couple times I trained under his father and was impressed too. His background was always a little hazy, but he is very skillful.

Just a fyi in case you're opposed to the longer drive (although, in my opinion, it's worth it).
    hmmm ryan??
    whoaaa
    hi dude
    ya its me
    the mark that randomlly appeared at shi yan feng every now and then....

I asked if I could watch a class at the nasa road one kung fu school. The instructor said no.

Quote Originally Posted by Nards View Post

Hey Ryan,

I am good. I caught up on my sleep after that trip we took to Tennessee. Any word yet from your Master on when you all will be opening that new location?

Maing Yul Jung

I agree with nards, if you cant get to the shaolin school , then Master Jung would be the next school of choice .Both schools start out with wushu basic and lots of flexibility. As far as Jung's background anyone that trained in the army and I may note trained the soldier in the army,have to be creditable ,especially in Asia.
    He still hold on to a lot of traditional ways in which students were usally refer by family or friends or by reputation in which they want you to trust them in your training. Always remember WUDE more so in asian customs in what you say and do.I wish you the best in your search.
    Good Luck

Good to hear, Scott. Yeah, it took a couple days to recover for me too. Anyway, no exact word on when we'll get the new location. He thinks maybe next month or November at the latest, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hey Mark. Where you been?? You need to make another appearance. Stefan pops in every now and then.

Anyway, as DMK was saying, Master Jung's school is very traditional with its customs. I'm not surprised he wouldn't let you watch a class. His son was a little less so. In fact, he let me and some buddies watch and participate in a class before we signed up. He also has another son who, if I'm not mistaken, has a school in the Spring area.

Also as DMK mentioned, Master Jung was an officer in, I think, the Korean army. He is definitely creditable. When I said their background was somewhat hazy, I mean that he (and his son) were pretty quiet and private about their history, but there is no doubt that they were very skillful and knowledgeable. Also, don't expect them to open up and teach you anything you want. They're very selective about their teachings in the traditional sense that you need to earn it before they're going to show you the more advanced stuff.

To give you an idea, a typical class began, and I'm basing this on both his son's classes and the few times I trained with Master Jung, with a lot of stretching and flexibility exercises, then usually some stance practice, and typically some sort of warm-up. After that, we would do your typical wushu basics (A lot of them are identical to those you'd be doing at any Shaolin school). Sometimes, we would then practice forms or fighting techniques and applications. Other times, his son would teach some Chin-na or Sanda or something else.

I would definitely recommend going there though if you're bound to the Clear Lake area. But really, if you want to do Shaolin, the SW side isn't all that far from Clear Lake and you would be going against traffic during the week for the most part.