Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differance Of Hung Gar And Tiger Crane ??

Differance Of Hung Gar And Tiger Crane ??

is tiger-crane kung fu, and hung-gar kung fu the same system? if not what separates the two ?
    Respectfully,FanWoo

one doesnt work

and the other one doesnt work even more

(only joking tentigers we all know u da man)
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Tiger and crane is a set/form in the hung gar curiliculum.
    Its the most famous form..sometimes some use tiger and crane as the style name but really its hung gar..

Some Hung Gar courses consist ONLY of Tiger Crane as well. Especially in school that teach multiple styles,

Wasn't Hung Gar originally just a Tiger style and then Wong Fei Hung added the crane later?

FD

BTW, wow a kung fu thread on the kung fu forum!!!!
    Fire Dragons's Current Ignore List :
    hskwarrior*chasincharpchui*k-no*buck sing gwoon yenhoi*fatherdog*water dragon*infrazreal*charn fu gerk*havick01*banditshaw*ironweasel*merryprankster * lkmdfc*sunfist*pork chop*mr punch*greencloudclf

As stated, Tiger and Crane (Fu Hok) is a form within Hung Gar. Hung Gar is somewhat famous for this form and is often called the Tiger and Crane. arguably they are the most visible of the animals in the forms. Many styles have included this form into their own curriculum apparently.

It is hard to tell what exactly hung gar was. We know what it is now. Hung Gar is said to have derived from tiger roots through Gee Shim and the Crane was added later. But of course this is hard to verify if we are inclined to try. What crane exactly was added is also a bit difficult. It doesn't seem to me to be the Fuiken white crane that is more common. Atleast I see differences between them. Since then, Hung Gar, atleast through Wong Fei Hung and others, has incorporated many components including various weapons, northern forms, Lama/Lions Roar/Hop Gar, Tiet Sin Kuen, etc. Your lineage may vary.
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams

Tiger and Crane is one of the main sets of Hung Gar it can be called the heart of the style.

As mentioned before Tiger and Crane is Hung Gar in itself. Since all that the Style's main techniques are in this set.

Some schools of Hung Gar call themselves Fu Hok Pai or the Tiger Crane System.

The reason why other styles share this set is because of the appropriate blend of Hard and Soft and Long Range and Short Range techniques.
    Last edited by Southern Fist; 09-17-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: adding and correcting errors

I wouldnt say its the heart of Hung Fist..I like to say its the face,its what u show

but heart or better yet the spine of Hung Gar Kuen is Gung gee fook fu kuen ,imo.

I'll have to go with with Laukarbo on this and second that.
    GGFFK is the Roots for sure.

On another note. Lam Sai Wing was dubbed as ''Mr. Tiger and Crane'' and If I am correct I think his schools were the first to be called Fu Hok Pai or something to that effect.

Some others here may know exactly.

you could say Tiger crane is the representitive for hung kuen...

most Hung sifus play fu hok on demos etc. ..

so I understand why some people think its the heart/spine but its ggffk, I think most hung practicioner would agree here..

Based on my teachings, I'd agree on GGFF being the core.

GGFF is a old form that seems to be found in all Hung gar, atleast in some form. Fu Hok is only found in Wong Fei Hung Lines or from People who incorporated the set.

I haven't learned Fu Hok, but I don't believe it contains ALL the techniques
    I've only just discovered my error, and I'm going to have to replay whole sections of my life through my mind to see what confusions I may have caused or fallen foul of.
    --Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    one doesnt work

and the other one doesnt work even more

(only joking tentigers we all know u da man)
    I'm so happy I set my coffee down before I read this. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by southernkf View Post
    ...What crane exactly was added is also a bit difficult. It doesn't seem to me to be the Fuiken white crane that is more common. Atleast I see differences between them...
    Think you may be surprised.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Hung Kuen / Tiger Crane

Hung Gar has it's own unique flavor. Kung Gee Fook Fu & Tiger Crane are forms that represent that Flavor. The forms contain techniques that encompass the system.
    Some entire schools are dedicated only to practice Kung Gee Fook Fu. Others only Tiger / Crane. They take the moves from the forms and and used only those comprize their self defense.
    People who only do KGFF look a bit different than those who only do T&C. Their style is the same but emphasize different moves and techniques.
    Evan those they are supposedly doing the same system, over the years personal differences cause schools from the same line to look and act diefferently than others. These are just "Flavor", the core theory should be the same. If the theory changes, then are no longer practicing Hung gar.

Ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by FANWOO View Post
    is tiger-crane kung fu, and hung-gar kung fu the same system? if not what separates the two ?

Hard question to answer. The answer has to do with your own background and that of your Sifu's.

I learned 2 different styles of Tiger/Crane.

The Hung-Ga Tiger/Crane.

The Choy-Li-Fut Ga Tiger/ Crane.

My Sifu was the late Grandmaster Ark Y. Wong.

For sure, regardless , Tiger/Crane is just as all of you have presented it.

Regards, Sifu Ron