Thread: Video: hardening exercise

Video: hardening exercise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chqLX...elated&search=

it is hard arhat qi gong.

hardening different parts of the body.

it is not for everyone.

This reminds me of a conversation i had with someone in regards to the ability of withstanding punishment.

My friend said that the methods employed by some hard qigong and soft qigong practioners ( like the juko-kai and many sanchin and iron vest people) is not that great because it is trained in a "trance like" way and that, its application in a dynamic environment doesn't transfer, unlike the training of thai boxers, western boxers and other full contact fighters that learn how to "take a shot while giving a shot" in a dynamic enviroment ( the ring in this case).

I would agree, IF the gigong methods are NOT employed eventually in a sparring context.

I recall a drill we used in boxing in which one guy would throw a jab or cross or combination, whatever, and the other would slip and hit him to get him used to getting tagged, the amount of force would increase as one got better.

I think true hardening is developed slowly, over a long period of time,so the bones themselves become stronger and more resistant to damage by impact.

It's kind of like weight lifting, only instead of progressive resistance, you have progressive impact.

If you do it this way, it will work under any condition, because the body itself has been made more durable.

Methods that require a trance like state are not true iron body, but more like pain management methods.

The body signals pain when it breaks, or comes close to the breaking point. If you make it so strong that it never even nears it's breaking point, you will not see pain. THAT is real Iron Body.

Now, you can cheat by deadening the nerves with excessive impacts, or meditative practices, but that is not true Iron Body anyway...it's a cheat to simulate the results.

Great video.

That video shows the rudimentary training.

Once the practitioner is of some ableness, it gets more insane. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

From personal experience, conditioning of the sort seen in that video is much more painful than being hit in sparring.

Why? Because there is no adrenaline going. I can take leg kicks all day in sparring but doing iron body stuff it is very painful in comparison.
    This stuff has a great carry-over to real application.
    In fact, pretty much every martial art has some sort of body toughening exercises integral to it.
    A unique snowflake